Black People : Individualism

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, May 7, 2010.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    http://www.amazon.com/Racism-101-Ni...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1273269405&sr=1-1-fkmr0
    Comments?

Put a 1 in the room?

2. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    individualism vs opportunism

Sometimes a person acts as an individual in a politically progressive fashion, but at a different time, that person can act as an individual in an opportunistic fashion. It comes down to whether the objective is to advance the best interests of the masses of people or simply to get some cheese just for one's self.

3. warriorprincess

warriorprincess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +201
    A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the crowd. ...

This sounds a bit like the individualism vs. collectiveism discussion.

I think that we can have both to a degree. I think that they go hand in hand and we don’t have to choose one over the other as an overall goal. Strong individuals have the potential to increase the group if they care for the survival of said group. A family is a group and sometimes it can take one family member to inspire leadership and tenacity in the other family members. I will admit that it takes a certain amount of effort and willingness to walk alone, for as long as it takes to strengthen oneself, outside of a group setting.

Its really nice to see a cohesive group of individuals minus the groupthink. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does it’s awe inspiring.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    like bread and butter to spread

5. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    This is so true. It's never this vs. that. But balance is key. An atom is in motion because its individual parts move. And an atom is itself an individual part moving in a larger group which moves in an even larger group, and on and on until we have a whole universe of moving individual parts.

indivi + dual = indivisible dualitty = individual

6. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I got lost with the first sentence. If you are a young AA male struggling in math and academics, who the heck is telling them they are 'individualistic to do something with their life?'

Is she saying people are telling them they are being selfish because they struggle and refuse to give up?

If you an AA male, I can almost guarantee that what they are telling them is 'don't continue to be a dumbutt, do you know how important education is? You wanna be stuck in a dead job going nowhere because you ain't got education? You wanna wind up with a hoodrat because you can't get anything better? Have 20 kids with 20 baby mommas who only get $2 in CS because you broke and can't afford anything for them or yourself? You betta shut up, study hard, and get it done!'

Or people spend time and money trying to figure out why young AA men get turned off school in the 3rd grade.

So I have no idea what she means on 'individualism' when it comes to that.

As for the rest, I get it; but individuals work within the collective. I understand that I work on the individual level when I decide to use my own ideas to help myself and my people; but I work within the collective in getting that through and trying to get everyone to work together on my ideas to see it to it's full potential.

7. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Nice concept, and I love the sister but just as with all of Cosby's good intentions, he is comedian and made his millions from , that and sister Giovanni os a poet and made her wealth from that, not psychology, psychiatry or sociology.
    The simple facts of human nature is predicated upon certain personality types;
    Dynamic Agressives
    Dynamic Assertives
    Dynamic Supportives

and the unequal distribution of these basic types
    being practically the same;
    in each and every race, nationality and ethnicity.

Individualism is basically a myth of European society, who while promoting this ideology of rugged individualism, hired explorers with ships and armadas, paid by collective business interests of unified wealthy families and secret societies, to explore, loot, pillage and either anihilate or enslave the dark skinned masses of the majority of the world who lived in a system of reciprocity, cultural based unity and collective wealth,
    falsly called tribalism.

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    the point IMHO that she seems to be making i to tell yong men not to be a copy cat, or a trend-hound however that is not the root of the problem,
    The problem is ,
    what modalities and attitudes are being copied,
    positive or negative?

the root of the problem is that adopted "Asili" of contemporary youth has become one of community exacerbation, and disinterst as opposed to the African "Asili" of collective community development and concern.

The concept of the rebellious teen was a product of modern society and absent in cultures that established rights of passage, that gave adolescents the honor of young, esteem, and priveledge of
    Young Adulthood

One must not forget that there had been a 10 thousand year unbrocken paradigm of youth and teen peer pressure towards excellence in education and community defense and upliftment, in African youth , that had been brocken by a period of 400 years.

9. warriorprincess

warriorprincess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +201
    Truth.

I also see that with some groups there can be no balance. Some groups do not want individuals. Some groups squash individualism. They will attempt and maybe succeed in squashing it like a nasty bug. With those groups, an individual has no room for compromise.

I have also seen instances where the desire to belong to certain groups can outweigh the desire to succeed. This can lead to many problems if the individual and the group are not on the same accord.

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    There is a mille of difference between the concept of a persons individuality, self style, self expression,

and the social concept of individualism.

JUst like haveing capital does not make one a capitalist