Black People : Individualism

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by YellowLime, Nov 30, 2005.

1. YellowLime

YellowLime Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I am a strong supporter of individualism--I had a long and tiresome debate with someone I am (maybe was) dating about it last night. I believe that strong communities are built by strong individuals and after that significant change can develope--I'm a firm believer in personal responsiblity and I think that anybody who isn't believes the masses to be a bunch of idiots--which may be true but I'm not that high and mighty to say it out loud--I'll just write it:) So, what do you all think?

2. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

I somewhat agree but not in the same way. A person that strictly practices individualism can be misconstrude as being selfish or conceited. There must be some justification for why we do what we do. Meaning we must find our personal role in the collective structure of us as a people. Far to many times we try to fix the collective without accounting for each unit. All things are made up of smaller things that have a specific function that serves the collective. When the smaller things are out of order the collective can not function with effectiveness. As individuals we must learn what it is to be men and women first. When I say men and women I don't mean male and female. What makes a man a man and a woman a woman? I believe if we start with simple attainable goal in our personal lives our growth and potential will be unmeasureable. We must make personal committments and vows and stick them at all costs. We also don't need to be afraid of eachother. The first mind that must change is our own. We must honestly look inward and evaluate ourselves. If we can't be honest with ourselves then we will never heal. We must also realize that our actions effect others in someway. Also we must understand what leadership is. We can be leaders of our homes and selves without being a leader of our people. Finally we must possess a vision for ourselves and those we directly effect.

Peace...

3. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    This is strickly a European mindset and a concept of I, me and mines that does not foster unity or communilism. The very word "communicate" comes from the word "commune" which means "to come together". From this we also get "community". The point to be made here is that "no one got here by themselves". We are who we are because of those before us like our parents, leaders or others we see as beacons of light.

Everyone stands upon the shoulders of someone else whether we like it or not. It is and has always been because of someone else that we are here and that we are the way that we are. So where does "individualism" fit in this picture?

If you mean "individualism" in terms of making personal choices, then that's simply a "personal choice" not a concept of "individualism". Usually when I go to a different place I've never been to before and encounter a black person, I know that 9 times out of 10 that there's a lot of other black people somewhere around...because "we are communal people like that".

However, on a European model of "individualism", it's very possible to go someplace a meet a white person and then not see another one for a couple miles or at least a good distance from each other. So in a European model it's extremly possible to find a hick, a doctor, a farmer, a pedophile and a white supremist all living within a certain circumference of each other and they never actually associate or know each other. "That is Individualism"

In our ancient and present "non individual" realities, there are "unspoken realities' of acceptable behaviours and thought processes that exist among us. It's just the way we are. So for black people there has never been and will probably never be a concept of "individualism" among us.

Sure, nothing is 100%. There will alaways be the total reject among our people, but that person isn't one who lives in our community or associates with our people. Imagine me as an individual chilling out and drinking some beers on my front porch with a bunch of white people in my hood. As an "individual" I may feel that I have that right.

The fact that I'm not an individual means that I've broken an unspoken code of thought and behavior in my community by doing such a thing. As such, I would have begun the process of alienating myself from my people and community by engaging in such behavior.

Was my shooting the breeze and drinking with my so called white friends and my promoting my so called "individualism" worth my being alienated from my people, my community and in actuality, myself? NOT HARDLY!!!

Maybe you need to express what you mean by "Individualism" better, cause right now I can't see it...no matter how you try to express it.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Brilliantly stated brother Keita!

5. soulsearcher

soulsearcher Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    The 'masses' sometimes do things that are downright wrong.

The 'masses' enslaved blacks in America, other white countries and in Africa. Only 'individuals' were able to stand up against this.

The 'masses' (and this includes blacks), 'condoned' or did not take a stand against Jim Crow after slavery ended. Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Malcolm X 'individuals' took a stand and got 'masses' of black people to realize they needed to stop taking **** from white culture.

The 'masses' have condoned female circumcision in parts of Africa, the Middle East and Asia. Individuals are helping to make a stand to the point that the 'masses' are able to see that practice is wrong and even eliminate it from their cultures; seeking alternatives to the social reasoning on why that practice was used to begin with.

The 'masses' are still doing things all over the world in every race and culture that only 'individuals' have the balls to make a stand against.

So in conclusion, if the community is going in a good direction, doing things that is not physically or emotionally harming someone else, then individualism is not important. But if a community is doing something that is wrong, individualism may be the only element that would stop the negative behavior.

6. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

The masses are lead by individuals, so from the looks of it, the relationship is symbiotic at best.

7. soulsearcher

Ratings:
    +4
    Well, if the masses are agreeing with what is considered mainstream thought then they really aren't being individual. Physically individuals are part of the masses, but if they present a revoluntionary idea or campaign for a cause the masses don't support, then mentally they are individual.

Anyway, the main thing to remember is that individualism in and of itself is not a white thing. How it is practiced is.

8. soulsearcher

Ratings:
    +4
    Is the average Black American going to 'alienate' you because you were 'shooting the breeze' with your white friends? There are many in the black community that would not consider having a white acquaintance something that now makes you not worthy of considering yourself black.

9. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Is there anyone suggesting otherwise.

yet they often have a following particuliarly on the grass roots level. Interestingly enough, many movements and campaigns the "masses" were inspired and guided by the grass roots.

HOwever, I agree with Keita's analysis.

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I never felt Individualism because it don't unify as a whole but
    of self greed as one body not a nation so i don't accept individually well
    just my take on it.....

To me , to build a stronger community it take not individual play but a group in unity.