Black Relationships : Independent Women - Myth or Reality?

You are joking...right ?

Independant black woman ? Independant black men ? What planet does that exist on ? What is a Black woman without a black man ? What is a Black man without a Black woman...the answer is...THEY ARE INCOMPLETE, NOT WHOLE. We depend upon each other...even if it is for nothing else but BALANCE...and no black man or woman could possibly be whole, independant or balanced as a human being without their counterpart. Now if you're talking about alienated black men or women, that is another story.

Luv Ya
Keita Otiba Kenyatta

kenyatta said:
Independant black woman ? Independant black men ? What planet does that exist on ? What is a Black woman without a black man ? What is a Black man without a Black woman...the answer is...THEY ARE INCOMPLETE, NOT WHOLE. We depend upon each other...even if it is for nothing else but BALANCE...and no black man or woman could possibly be whole, independant or balanced as a human being without their counterpart. Now if you're talking about alienated black men or women, that is another story.

Luv Ya
Keita Otiba Kenyatta

I cosign on that one!

So...Black women shouldn't assumethe of independent label and / or they are in fact not independent because: (a) they are basically doing what all responsible beings do-taking care of themselves (b) they should understand that it's common knowledge that black women enjoy certain advantages in contrast to their black male counterparts particular in the "corporate world" (c) they should understand that they are part of a unit / partnership (here I am assuming black men) in which each gender is dependent upon the other for balance?

I am correct in my assessment of the post under this thread or am entirly off line...am I even in the ball pakr?

sadie's brown said:
So...Black women shouldn't assumethe of independent label and / or they are in fact not independent because: (a) they are basically doing what all responsible beings do-taking care of themselves (b) they should understand that it's common knowledge that black women enjoy certain advantages in contrast to their black male counterparts particular in the "corporate world" (c) they should understand that they are part of a unit / partnership (here I am assuming black men) in which each gender is dependent upon the other for balance?

I am correct in my assessment of the post under this thread or am entirly off line...am I even in the ball pakr?

I think you just won the World Series!

I don't see this as a philosophical question although some may choose to view it this way. It's more than a notion so I think it is a reality in our society today and for a number of reasons, in my opinion.

I view the term "independent" as it's used in the context of the women's liberation movement that was going strong at the same time as the Civil Rights Movement. The women's liberation movement came about in protest of the patriarchal or male-dominant society which still exists in large part today. The independence of a woman does not void the fact that she needs a man if she wants a relationship with one or to bear children one day. Independence does not mean that a woman hates men or is lesbian. I see independence of women in several social arenas: economics, politics and the judicial systems--not biological or sociological independence. Independence in the sense that women have owenership of their bodies and the right to choose their biological function and sexual freedom. To me it means that women can vote and can compete in the job market along with men. It means that women now must live with the consequences of their decisions and men shouldn't have to pay for their mistakes. All things being equal, a woman's independence can also create independence for men as well. It means that men should have equal rights to have custody of children born to couples who choose not to live together. It means that men shouldn't automatically have to pay alimony to women as part of a divorce settlement just because he's a man and his ex-partner is a woman. It means that women can now choose when to become birth mothers. It now means that women who say "no" don't have to accept the acts of others who don't respect that and force them to have sex--even from spouses. It means that now, women and men must pay equally, the legal price for emotional and physical abuse. It's true that Black women have always been in the struggle along with Black men. True that Black women have always worked side by side with Black men. True, if the Black race is to continue, Black men and Black women need each other. But now Black women can enter relationships with Black men for the best reasons and not just because she needs him to supply her for certain basic needs such as food, shelter, clothing and such.

That's my take on the question. Peace :spinstar:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back