Black People : INCREDIBLY BRILLIANT PEOPLE AT DESTEE FORUMS...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Well, I don't WANT to name no names, as that would leave out and offend some folks, and that is not what I intend to do...but I NEED to name some names of folks whose intelligence I am, profoundly affected by to let them know that I think they are consistently AWESOME in their intellect...

Additionally, I want to say that it pains me that we are not using that intellect on a collective level to impact on Black America and the world... I don't think we realize the magnitude of who and what has been assembled here, and for the record, I think we are blowing a major opportunity to turn this world upside down and right side up for eons to come...only we are lacking the CONFIDENCE in ourselves to get that Black Snowball rolling down the mountainside...

We've got towering intellects in our midsts here! Do you all realize that????? We have people who are technical and scientific wizards, scholars, educators, musicians, craftspeople, trades people, corporate executives, revolutionary thinkers, and young geniuses like I-Khan and brother Cedric, brilliant communicators like sister IfYouComeSoftly, and many others... Yet, we're not bringing this wide-ranging braintrust together to create an INSTITTUION that lasts for the ages...

Brother James and AnAfrican, you brothers may not realize it from our many scuffles with one another, but I admire both of your intellects and passion... I think tha passion is what sometimes gets in the way of us having a greater flow in our communications, but I am profoundly impacted in much of what you say - believe it or not... The same is true of brothers Sam and Omowale, whom I've had my run-ins with, but whose intelligence I could never simply "wish away."

Sisters PDiane, Akilah, Karma, River, Queenie, Destee, IfYouComeSoftly, Triniti, BisaBee, BalckLioness, Riada, Cursed Heart, SpicyBrown, and Uplift consistently bring profound power and reason in their postings, something to take away from this space, and think about... And so do brothers Mississippi Red, Pan Africa, Monetary, Moorfius, Sunship, OldSoul, Oldies, KenteMojo, KemetKind, Therious, Sekhemu, Seifrot, Dusty Elbow, Radical Faith, Rich, Militant and many others... How can we have so many Brilliant Africans assembled at one pinpoint in the universe, and have other folks running cirlces around us?????? And there are many others whom I didn't name who have ideas that run counter to the consensus at this board whose intellect is, nevertheless, pretty clear...

Again, I think it is about confidence in ourselves to do something so massive it staggers our imagination - but we have to help each other seize the opportunity... We have to make the committment to African people, and it takes time, and trust, and getting our egos out of the way... We talk of building infrastructure, and go off on our individual forays... Nothing wrong with that, but if we could save a fraction of our energy and intellect for the larger picture, and train and mentor our young people to run and manage such an institution, we would create an engine that runs on it's own for many decades and centuries to come... I know that you ALL understand what has been said, but HOW can we submerge our small differences with one another to become that bee in White Supremacy's bonnett that leaves it's stinger in there for all time??? How can we come together and DO what they have feared we COULD DO all along - if we just BELIEVED in ourselves??? REMEMBER, Brilliant minds find solutions...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367

Thank you very much my Brother for that.

I just wanted to say that I think the Institution is already set up; there is just not much expansion. I think of it like you have a corporation full of POWERFUL black minds; when we should have a chain of corporations all around the place. I was thinking about the knowledge here spreading to other forums, but I don't think many Black websites can handle what we give, or handle how we do things. However, if someone here has that vision, I have nothing against them. It is just not what I had in mind.

At this time, what I have in mind is to expand our curriculum - but do it strategically. No offense, but (not to disrespect Tavis Smiley) who needs Angela Glover Blackwell when we have at least 12 powerful policy and strategic planners here at Destee? Even the members who don't post, or write poems have some sort of strength deep inside of them; they are just leaving it lying dormant in them. Let us give birth to our powerful thoughts, ideas, and what not, and they will follow.

Anyway, we need to apply things like EACH 1 TEACH 2 AND REACH 3-4 MORE to our everyday living. That is my modern-day way of saying "1 could put 100 to flight while 2 can put 1000 to flight." If we could get in the habit of doing this, there will be so many like-minded indiviuals! I know some people will try to say "Well I have to work, and I don't have time to do that-" Good, go to work and do it! Anywhere you see another black face, there is a student and a teacher. Some of them might be adamant white supremacists, but that was only a lie put "on" them, which means that it can be taken "off" of them through Liberation. They might not want it now - but eventually, they'll come back around.

Didn't want to be very long, so I will close by just saying that I have a lot of Love for you Brother Isaiah, and wish you the best as you liberate minds.

CD

3. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    We got the resources,whenever we are ready we can set up an intitution.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Yes Family ... we certainly have incredibly brilliant Sisters and Brothers here at destee. We have always been blessed with that. Yes, it opens up many opportunities for us to learn, share, and grow even more brilliant than we were prior to coming here.

Yes Yes Yes ... this community is a blessing.

There have been many times in the past when Family Members have suggested to me, that we could do additional great things. That we could form additional organizations, start businesses, increase efforts in other ways and areas ... yes, this has all been suggested.

Unfortunately though, even with all the brilliant minds we have here, this very community struggles to exist. I struggle to keep it alive. I find myself going to Members at different times of the month and year, personally asking for their financial support to help keep the community alive. Those that i feel in my heart may respond positively to me. I have to beg to keep this community alive. Not only Members that participate regularly, but those who hardly come. I know they love me, and love this community, and even though they aren't here often, they will help. I have even asked folk who know nothing of destee, are not Members here, to help us. Those are especially painful requests.

I'm often amazed at this dynamic. Brilliant minds gathered together, but not willing to consistently help keep the home they claim to love and enjoy so much, alive. I think it's another part of the conditioning we must overcome.

Many of the names you mentioned Brother Isaiah, have been here a long time, partaking of the brilliance present (adding to it as well), but never being moved in their Spirit to reach in their pocket and help financially support the community.

No one really sees it from my vantage point. No one else worries month after month, if this community will be here the following month, like i do.

It's kinda ironic, so much talk of unity, love, support, encouragement, brilliance found here ... yet some of these same folk have gone as far as to go on record saying ... i will not financially support this place ... yet they are here regularly. Can you believe that? It's true.

Yes, we can do greater things, but we have hurdles to overcome even to maintain this, let alone talking of the greater things that could be done.

Currently we have 11,309 Members, and only 53 are Premium Members. I don't know if a Member believes that paying one $10.00 covers all of our costs or something, but it does not. Our costs are ongoing, monthly, and growing every day. We use incredible amounts of bandwidth to deliver every page to every Member and visitor. Don't even mention the time required to do what we're doing. I realize that we have students here, unemployed folk, all of that, and everyone won't be able to help. But only 53 out of 11,309? It's quite disheartening and discouraging sometimes, but never enough to keep me from struggling, to keep me from doing whatever is necessary to keep this place alive. I will do this until i simply can't do it anymore.

We don't have ads here, we don't have corporate sponsors, we never have had any of this. It's always been paid for by me and/or the Membership. I believe it keeps our community pure and untainted. I believe it's important that we remain this way. Therefore, i struggle every month, resisting the desire to make whatever few pennies i could from these avenues. I believe it's important that we have something that truly is ours. Something that we fully support and take care of. It's a struggle, but we can say we have that here at destee.

I look forward to the day when the brilliant minds in this community see the value of this place enough to actually want to help keep it alive.

When Members talk to me about all the other great things we can do ... it's like folk saying ... let's build a new room on to the house ... let's paint ... let's landscape ... let's improve our home ... but there is a foreclosure notice on the door. It's hard for me to get excited under these circumstances.

I recently had to do just as i described above, 2 days ago, beg people to help keep our community alive. There were 2 Brothers that responded positively to my request. If it were not for them, we would not be here right now. One of them sent me an email to post to the Family. He said Des, the weight of this should not be on your shoulders alone, with so many Members there. You should let them know you need help. Anyway, he gave me a letter to post to the Family on his behalf.

I explained to him that it is so hard to beg all the time. Everyone knows that this costs money to maintain, and i just don't feel like i must always be begging. It's tiring. It's hard to always be begging, even if you believe what you're begging for is worthy. With so many of us here, if the majority did a little, i'd never have to ask one or two to do a lot. Anyway, i'll post his letter a little later. He made me promise to do it.

I've often wondered, with so many reading, participating, how would you all feel if it weren't here anymore? Would it bother you in the least? Would you care?

Yes Brother Isaiah ... we have greatness here ... but we stand to lose it all every month.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but considering what i just went through, begging Members to help ... and let me say ... i didn't even have to beg ... not this time ... not really. These Brothers were so wonderful. One of them didn't even let me get my request all the way out, before he said ... no problem, i got this, don't worry. You know who you are. Thank You.

Well, i don't mean to rain on anyone's parade ... but we've always kept it real here ... and this is real.

Much Love and Peace Family.

:heart:

Destee

5. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    Sister Destee, I have enjoyed my short time on this board and if I stay as a regular poster, I will become a premium member.

As to why people don't contribute financially, is there a way you could ask people "anonymously" why they don't? Many organizations and employers have found that when people can speak their minds anonymously, the info is very valuable.

People who post regularly and don't become premium members definitely have a reason or reasons why they don't. I suspect they feel that if they speak their minds, there will be arguments and repercussions, but I'll bet if they had a way to speak without attaching their name, some of them would tell you more than you might want to know. lol You might, at least, be able to clear up misunderstandings in some cases or address their concerns.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister Bisabee ... i'm glad you've enjoyed yourself thus far, and your consideration regarding Premium Membership is much appreciated.

Sister Bisabee ... i don't mean to sound harsh or uncaring, but it doesn't really matter what the reason is, if they aren't willing to help, but are willing to take full advantage of the blessings found here. No matter their reason, something is wrong with that.

I believe that we as a people must learn to overcome this. I believe that this is part of the progress that this community can help with. If not this community, surely some organization, effort, or endeavor will have to help our people overcome this. For we will never be successful, never realize our true brilliance, until we are willing to financially support our own.

Where i come from, you don't go to anyone's house every day, eat of the fruit found there, and never contribute anything to its survival. Yes, there may be many reasons why one won't or can't, but such things must be overcome. At this point, we must quit saying why we won't help each other, and begin to say why we will.

We've always been an ... "out in the open" ... "everything on the table" ... kind of community. There has never been a lot of private conversations, polls, etc., taking place behind the scenes. We, every Member here, is a part of this community, and should be privy to all that's said. That's how we live. It's an effort to encourage us to talk, commune, reason together collectively. I don't believe anonymous, private reasons will make a great big difference. If a Member is willing to come here every day and openly share their thoughts on all other things, surely they can do the same regarding this.

Sister Bisabee ... you're kinda new to the community, but this challenge of ours is a long standing one. There are several threads around the community speaking to it. Many have shared their thoughts. This is not new, though i do appreciate your suggestions and consideration.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

7. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6

My Sister, you said a couple of mouthfuls here. :flowers:

I don't know if I was reading it here recently or somewhere else that so many of us have now developed an "entitlement" mentality. Many of us just feel that others just owe us something and should be willing to carry us for free. I think it started out with some of us thinking that white folks owed us something, but now it's spread out to everybody owing. lol

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Thank you Sister Bisabee ... :love:

I get so frustrated sometimes, so overwhelmed, but no matter what, i will continue to keep this community alive for us, for as long as i can ... begging, borrowing, what have you ... for i truly believe in the brilliance found here!

Much Much Love and Peace! :flowers:

Destee

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: !!!! OH MY GOSH FAMILY !!!! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

A Member ... Someone ... just purchased Premium Memberships for themselves and the following Members !!!​

6 months of Premium Membership for Bisabee
    6 months of Premium Membership for Isaiah
    6 months of Premium Membership for Samurai36
    6 months of Premium Membership for I-khan
    6 months of Premium Membership for Aqil

:love: CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS !!!! :love:

TO THE PURCHASER OF THESE PREMIUM MEMBERSHIPS:

I see your information on the purchase receipt, but i don't know who you are!

Your name looks familiar, but gosh, i can't find you anywhere!

Your email address is not a part of our database!

There's no way for me to give you credit for your Premium Membership!

I will give credit to all those you've purchased for now ...
    but i just had to let the Family know what just took place!

:jumping: WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW !!! :jumping:

Please contact me and let me know who you are. Pleeeeeeeeease!

Thank you so very much!

Wow.

Thank You Thank You Thank You ! :cry:

Destee

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    It's beautiful to know and see how love for this community can spread
    from the goodness of hearts who care and love where they visit and live
    on the net , may many more blessing continue.

There are so many bright and wonderful brothers and sisters here who
    want to bring bigger ideas and share them , help raise the level bars
    give wise and knowledgable insight on problems / issues and growth
    i'm thankful to be part of such wonderful group of brothers and sisters
    here at DESTEE.COM
    what sister Destee has done and open up such Avenue for us is delightful
    but to keep it all , We all as a part of this community have to Support it .