Incredible Alternative to Soap

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by river, Feb 3, 2008.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Most of us know that George Washington Carver made soap using peanuts but few of us know how he did it. So I went to find out.l What I learned is shocking. The truth is that all soap, even Ivory, has lye in it. That's how soap is made. Soap is saponified fat (lard, vegetable oil, etc.). How do you saponify fat? By mixing it with lye. The lye causes a chemical reaction that turns the fat molecules into soap molecules. You cannot make soap without lye. There are some cleansing bars that say they aren't soap. But we know lots of times when a product says it doesn't contain one thing it turns out to have something else just as or even more dangerous to replace it. So I googled around to find a way to make a cleanser without soap.

It's pretty easy. The draw back is that I can't make a large quantity of whatever i make because without preservatives it will become rancid. There are some natural preservatives like essential oils or grapefruit seed extract but I haven't tried them yet.

What I did try is oatmeal. Oatmeal is a natural cleanser. Get the kind you cook rather than the instant kind you just pour hot water on. Just plain old Quaker oatmeal. Put three tablespoons on a white unbleached washcloth, fold the wash cloth to hold the oatmeal then run warm water over it. The oatmeal will seep through as you wash your face. Rinse with cool water and follow up with raw shea butter. Now my face feels soooooo soft and clean. I haven't tried it on my whole body yet. I guess I'd have to use a rubberband or something to keep the washcloth closed while I wash my back and stuff.

BTW toothpaste has lye in it also. Read the ingredients you will see sodium hydroxide. Triclosan is also a very dangerous substance used in toothpaste.

2. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    It's 1:30. I've been out to the store. The temperature is climbing towards 82 outside. I used Quaker oatmeal to wash my whole body this morning. My skin is really soft and sweet smelling--even my under arms! No deodorant. No perfume. Just oatmeal.

Tip: when washing your face wet your face then when you run hot water on the washcloth filled with oatmeal squeeze it until the oatmeal forms a solid paste that you can rub directly on your skin.

After showering with oatmeal I followed up with a lotion that I made by melting beeswax and shea butter in olive oil.

For a year I've used black soap Like all soaps black soap contains lye which irritates sensitive places. Oatmeal does not.

3. Son of RA

Son of RA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +92
    I wanted to learn how to make soap but I did not want to mess around with lye. It is highly caustic and is nothing to be playin with. This brotha did not want to blow himself up messin around with it. You can also make natural toothpaste with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) or calcium carbonate (chalk), glycerine, peppermint or spearmint extract, and a pinch of seasalt. It really leaves the mouth fresh.

Which type of black soap did you use? Dudu Osun or the type that is wrapped in brown paper and comes from Ghana? Speaking of lye isnt that the stuff some of our elders used to use back in the day to "conk" their hair. Whoa!!!

Tranquillity

4. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Wow Son of Ra! Is that you in your avatar? Such a beautiful child.

I have used both Dudu Osun and the brown paper kind. The Osun soap was really helpful in clearing up old acne scars. But my skin began to feel so dry.

Yes they used lye and mashed potatoes to break the bonds that keep our hair curled. Lye is still used in commercial hair relaxers. Those that claim to not have lye use lime instead. Autopsies have shown an alarming amount of accumulated lime in the skulls of sistas.

People just think if it don't kill you right away it's okay.

5. Son of RA

Son of RA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +92
    Yea, that is me back in the day. I have heard about the autopsies done on sistas. Just goes to show the level of mental programming cause most still be relaxing the hair. Hey, when you get more soap recipes pass them on. Since I moved to Tucson from Buffalo I have not been able to find any black soap so I would like to make my own soap (without the lye of course).

Tranquility

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
  7. Son of RA

Son of RA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +92
    Thank you for the link!!! Too bad there is no way around making soap without lye. :qqb001:

8. trulyMe

trulyMe Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    river,

oatmeal is an exfoliant and moisturizer. taking baths in yogurt and milk will also do the same.

during my cosmetology training, we made homemade recipes out of other foods such as avocado, honey, milk, oatmeals, apples, lemons, cucumbers, etc.

if you can digest it, it can most like by used on the skin. LOL

i like to do a sugar shrub is granulated sugar, olive oil or other vegetable and my favorite essential oil or combination. lavendar, ylangylang are my favorites.

using grapefruit of other citrus can be a good pick-me-upper and energizing scent. be sure to let the sugar soften some and don't use on face or ruptured skin.

any suggestions on a safe way to color grey hair?