Black People : in the workplace and promotions

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Faithie, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Faithie

Faithie Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    so im 15 and i am thinking about my life when i get older i would love to work etc. get a great job. i would love to work in the corporate world, i deal well in that surrounding.
    However I know it will be filled up with uppity white people, like i am in school. How do you deal with them effing you over and never getting a promotion.
    for example when i am in school and we do a group project, if your quiet, they don't listen to you disregard you suggestions and then have the cheek to say i didn't put in any effort! If you talk, they blame everything on you or call you troublesome.
    How do you guys deal with it in the workplace, because in order to get promotions you have to come out successful with this things yet deal with these people

2. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I recommend using work as a springboard to private property.
    Have a warchest/small vault. Have some food stocked up.

Another suggestion is while working, start a small business on the side.

Sometimes, it is easier to obtain a new job making more money in a higher position than to seek a promotion within a company.

When you obtain that new job, don't fall for the old employer's trick of giving you a (partial) raise. They'll hold on to you until they can find a replacement.

You have to be careful about being too dominant as an African-American (especially a male). You can put the fear of God in everyone particularly when you combine assertiveness with intelligence. They will release you. So, you'll have to strike a balance.

In case you wondering, this is all from personal experience :).
    If you want to know the war stories, just let me know ....

What I will ask though is why just be an employee (servant)?
    Why not seek to become a master?

3. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Did you know that at law (common law), employee is synonymous with servant?