Black People : In the Killings of Black Officers, a Somber Reflection of Diversity

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, Dec 5, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/nyregion/04cop.html?pagewanted=2

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    The only thing I can say is that these African and Latino officers are the victims of the police reputation White Officers created for them, and if they want to act like those White Officers, they will, in turn, be seen as the enemy of our communities...

They have to take the initiative to implement different strategies to improve relations between themselves and the community... They cannot come on like cowboys, and expect us to LOVE them based on skin analysis, because thats a skin GAME... Nobody's going for that - not even myself, and I don't really have nothing against Black poliice officers... I just know from listening to good Black cops, how police of all colors are trained, and that is to see US as the enemy... That has to change, or the carnage will continue...

Peace!
    Isaiah

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Excellent analysis brother Isaiah….I agree completely!

4. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I have always thought that our higher crime rate is directly or indirectly connected to most of the problems we face today. I think this is the one area we could make the biggest improvement for our people. We need to be less acceptable of criminal behavior.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    You have this backwards Steve69. A high crime rate is a manifestation of other problems the black community is faced with. The most significant of which is extreme poverty. If you study poor neighborhoods among other ethnic groups and races, all share high crime rates, drug use, and single parent homes. Many of the behaviors contributed to race, are actually manifestations of class struggles.

6. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    There were two officers killed here in hampton roads recently. one white, one black. when the brother was murdered i was like you know dUde might have been alright. but as long as these black men and women continue to uphold unfair drug laws and turn their backs when white officers brutilize Afrikan people they can expect more of the same.

i hate to seee a brother go down especially when ive had black officers not write me tickets when they should have like isaiah said they can thank their white co-workers. plus how you know it was not the same brothers who stood and watched rodney king get beat half to death?>
    these gangsters don't see blk or wht they see blue.

one

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I think other cities need organizations like NYC's 100 Black in Law Enforcement Who Care.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Pan and Mr. T., you guys hit this thing all around... Crime and Poverty statistics usually are like the hand in the glove... They usually fit side by side with one another... Consequently, I've come to see that whenever I hear that a neighborhood is said to be "crime-ridden", I know something vitally important in being left out of that sentence - poverty...

In every case, you'll find that middle-class neighborhoods are LESS crime-ridden than poor and working-class communities... Even with this staring the media in the face, they will always convey the message that crime is based on color - because that is how they want us to SEE this thing, Blacks as well as Whites...

Mr. T., so true, there are damned good Black cops out here... I've seen Black cops firmly rap to a brother, and chill him out, and let him bounce when he shouldn't have.. Shooting a brother like that does out community no favors... By the same token, there are less conscientious brothers and sisters out here, who come with the "I see BLUE" mentality which Therious spoke of... Gotta be frank.... That kinda brother sees me as the enemy, so why should I see him is as my friend??? Why should I care about his well-being, when I know the guy sees me as a perp, because his white master trained him that way???

African and Latino officers must devise their own community relations strategy to change the image of Police Officers in our communities... Even educated brohers such as those who post to this board, have problems with the history of policing of African people... We know that police were a paramilitary force created by the rich to protect their property FROM US, not this "protect and serve" the people baloney...

African and Latino officers, thus, must fulfill the role of truly protecting and serving our community, and that means dealing with us as people, not potential perps... Perhaps, then, they can build a level of trust with African and Latino people... Right not, as things stand, I always hesitate to call a cop for anything, because these guys have a way of escalating a situation, rather than defusing it...

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. pdiane

pdiane Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    True that, Pan and Isaiah. A friend of minds daughter, wanted to be a police officer since she was a little girl. My friend lamented over this. Her daughter applied to several police departments and was finally accepted all the way in Boston's force. She was elated. She was willing to do what it took to finally be an Police Officer.

Well, she begins her training. She comes home daily discouraged, angry, upset, that the training is so humiliating, so hateful, so mean. She realized that she would literally have to be a hateful, evil, no-feeling person to be a police officer. She realized that no matter what she could not disagree with her fellow officers. Much to her deep dismay and regret, she had to quit the training. She had no idea that she had to transform herself as a human being to being a cold hearted person to become an officer.

Black officers were there when they sodomized Louima, they were there, when they beat my son, they were there when Rodney was beatened down, they are always there and rarely do they protest the way our people are treated. We won't even talk about corrections officers in the prison system. Most of them fall into the self-hating trap of hating the victims along with their people, their poverty, their disenfranchisement, their mental illness and the like.

It is amazing to me because, they are so hated in the force. They are shot by white police officers because they are Black. It happened in Boston, and Providence. The son of a Police officer who was also shot by the same white officer that was in his training group. Hello, he was just ****** that day.

Personally, I am leary of anyone in a uniform. There is something about uniforms that make one uniformed to the hateful philoshopy of white supremacy. Although, I don't want to generalize, because I'v met a couple of officers that cared, who have run basketball leagues in the community. There is not enough of them and for those who have human qualities, serving the community is discouraged. It is a culture of meaness.

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Sister Pdiane:

I see this as no differently than black lawyers and judges who do nothing about racism in the justice system. The whole goal of wanting blacks in these positions was for them to not follow the status quo, but to change it.