Black Short Stories : In Spite Of Maxwell

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by cocobutterskyn, Oct 12, 2008.

1. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Spreading Joy.... need some?
    Ratings:
    +221
    Morning came over me without the welcoming scent of Maxwell roaming through the house. Seems that crappy automatic only perks when it feels like it.
    Well, it just signed its death warrant. In the garbage it goes. Oh my God, Monday morning and I’m left to survive the beginning of my day without coffee!
    I guess I’ll have to rely solely on a hot shower to stimulate me enough to get started.

George, the condo lobby attendant, dressed in his well-mannered disposition, stood to greet me. He held the door open and while bathing me in his smile, he wished me a good day. I often wonder if he smiles and says that because he’s paid to, or he simply enjoys utilizing one of the many tools God blessed us with to brighten someone’s day? Well, who cares, he always manages to conjure a smile and hello from me, so whichever scenario, he does a great job. Which is certainly more than I can say for half of my co-workers and many of the Joe and Jenny Blows of Miami.

Though I slam-dunked my fair share of accounts for the bank today, a few prospects failed to add up. That somehow often inclines me to feel a little unsettled. But hey, I blame Maxwell and my cracked out coffee maker. Besides, my present here the past five years has packed the bank’s pockets considerably. And I can always look at it on a lighter side, like what might have happened had I not gotten my coffee and a hot shower? (chuckling)

On top of those events, bubbling-blonde-Barbie bounced her way to my space to enlighten me on how perrrrfect her day was going! As she boasted about her many accomplishments in her short time on staff, I thought about all the buzz around the office of her, supposedly secret off-work relationship with the office manager. On and on she went, until I could stand no more. Finally, I excused myself and made my way to the printing room. Thank God,
    I was in there alone! I inhaled deeply and forcefully expelled the air that expressed what I felt inside. “When will this day end!?!

At last, the clock struck three o’clock. I grabbed my purse from the drawer and shot to the elevators like a bullet eager to reach its intended target. When the door opened a crowd of well-dressed people with stone faces peered back at me. Upon stepping forward, I thought about George’s welcoming smile and the lack of smiles that will make this a long and chilly elevator ride. I kept my eyes on the squared button with the word lobby imprinted on it as if it would hurry the trip. When the button lit up, I heard the bling sound, and then the doors opened and we all dispersed into a lobby littered with more stone faces.

I trotted down the front steps of the building and before I reached the last step, I managed to break the four-inch heel off my left shoe. I threw my hands up in the air and inwardly shouted, “I hate Mondays!” I took both shoes off and with them in tow, because of Miami’s hot mid-summer sun cooking the earth’s floor, literally hotfooted it to my car. As I drove down the freeway, the sign baring, “South Miami Beach” suddenly attracted my attention. The second I decided to take it, I swerved into the fast approaching exit.

All in a day, I was short changed by a coffee maker, bombarded by a blonde’s need to use me to convince herself how smart she is and a shoe malfunction. Yet, I found myself barefooted on the beach, warm sand clinging to my feet, with serene moonbeams subsiding the unsettling moments of my day… in spite of Maxwell.
    :wink:

Coco

2. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    Who would have known as you started your day without your java, you would have ended up amid such a tranquil scene. Found your serenity despite it all, made me smile coco.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    wow what a day taken in to end up mesmerized i enjoyed this line gotta be more !!!?

4. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Spreading Joy.... need some?
    Ratings:
    +221
    Thank you Rich and Watz...

Watz, I'm glad you smiled, because there was a hint of humor between the lines. Often times we have to laugh at situations to keep the stress level down.

Rich, This is it. There will be no more of Maxwell hatin'. This was a writing assignment, to write about 1 complete day. Besides, I kinda like ending a day on the beach under a moonlite sky. Sweet down time(sounds like a poem):)

Thanks for the read and response. Be blessed yall

Maddsistahlylove
    Coco:heart:

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    sho nuff and thank u for giving us something sweet as this

6. sweet apple*pie

sweet apple*pie Well-Known Member MEMBER

I am a student, and all though it is hardwork, it
    Ratings:
    +30
    Very sweet and endearing....I enjoyed reading your personality through your words.

7. epiphany

epiphany Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hey Lil' Sis..

I'm not a fan of coffee..."YUCK!"

But I can relate to those Monday mornings where nothing
    seems to go the way you planned. The important thing
    is in the end.....to take time to smell the roses.

Which you did in style...

Its always a satisfying alternative.

Loved this heartwarming tale.

epiphany:heart: