Black Poetry : In Search of a Love Poem Called "Benign Neglect"

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by SojournerTruth, Mar 22, 2003.

1. SojournerTruth

SojournerTruth New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I am in search of a poem that I first heard in college 20 years ago. It was by a woman called Lindamichellebaron. I am not certain of the spelling. It is called, "Benign Neglect" and it fits my current relationship perfectly. I would really like to get hold of the whole thing to give it to the man. All I can remember is part of the first line. "I am not ready to die of benign neglect though that is what is happening." "...living off, "when you used to...." There is hope because she says, "...I'll rock the boat...heat the chocolate...," and do whatever is necessary to put the life back in the love. I need this poem or maybe you have something similar. Maybe some poet out there can help me put these thoughts together. Help Please. Sojourner

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello and Welcome SojournerTruth :wave:

Thanks for joining us. Did you do a search on the Internet for this peace, or the author? It was pretty easy to find the following address, www.lindamichellebaron.com. It may be the author you are looking for. If so, you can ask if the poem is available for purchase.

If you are interested in one of our poets creating a new peace, based on your thoughts, you've come to the right place ... they are more than qualified. Are you willing to pay for this or are you looking for someone to donate their work?

Thanks again for joining us.

:heart:

Destee

3. SojournerTruth

Ratings:
    +0
    lindamichellebaron

Destee,
    Before I posted that message I had searched for Benign Neglect but could not find the poem. Then I searched for Linda Michelle Baron at teldir and couldn't find her. Right after I posted the earlier message I searched Yahoo for "lindamichellebaron" and find her web site and emailed her. I hope that she will reply. How much would a poet expect to earn from such a commission? Peace, Lisa

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello SojournerTruth,

I have no idea how much the poet would expect to earn. I'm not a poet, simply the keeper of the house, where the poets live ... :)

I would imagine that many factors must be considered. For example, how many words do you want this peace to contain? A 25 word peace would cost less than a 100 word peace? How many different thoughts / words of your own must be incorporated into the peace? Just a few or many? You are seeking a customized, personalized, peace of art ... the poet must "feel" where you are and make sure the peace reflects that. Details regarding what this peace must contain will not only help determine cost, but be the guage used to know if your needs were met.

I'm going to move this thread to the Poetry Forum. Normally posts such as these are not allowed there, but this is an exception.

How much are you willing to spend for the peace? This may be all some of the poets need to know.

This is the 2nd inquiry we've had regarding personalized poetry. I think God is trying to tell us something ...

Thank you SojournerTruth.

Destee

5. SojournerTruth

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a reply from lindamichellebaron's site designer. She gave me some great ideas and said that they will soon be posting a catalog of her work. I feel funny putting a price on someone else's art but I would probably pay $50 or $100 for a piece that speaks to me. But I would like to know the person who is writing for me. Writing for love for money sounds contrived. I am going to the bookstore to order lindamichellebaron's book. Thanks for everything. Peace, Lisa

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello SojournerTruth,

I'm glad your search for Ms. Baron was successful.

Please don't misunderstand my inquiry, i didn't mean to imply that the Sisters and Brothers on this site flow for the love of money ... nothing could be further from the truth. It has not been the poets asking these questions, it's been me ... someone who wouldn't get a dime if a successful business relationship was developed.

No poet asked me to speak for them. As I said before, i'm not a poet, just the keeper of the house where all the poets live. When folk come in requesting personalized poetry, and it's only happened twice, i feel obligated to protect the interests of the poets. These are their words, their gift, their skill. People get paid when they possess talent as great as theirs. Why shouldn't they if the opportunity presents itself?

I think $50 or $100 is a reasonable exchange for the work you've outlined, but that's not my decision to make and i have no idea if the poets would consider it as such. They all have poetry here. They are proven in their own right. You are welcome to browse the forum, read their work, get to know them, and if you are so inclined ... contact any one you'd like.

I see nothing wrong with them getting paid for their art, seems it would be a blessing on top of a blessing.

Destee

7. SojournerTruth

Ratings:
    +0
    I think that being given the opportunity to support art monetarily is a blessing as well. Thanks again. Peace, Lisa