Black People : In need of advise

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Nasheed, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Nasheed

Nasheed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Otr Truck Driver
    Ratings:
    +168
    Ma'at Hetep

Jus the other day my wife and I had to visit my sons school to talk to his teacher about a punishment she handed out to the whole class because of a few. After arriving there she informed us that she expected parents by the bus loads but, was sad that we were the only ones to show up.

While there I noticed something that truly appalled me. The teacher has 32 kids in her class, no help, and no room. The kids were literally on top of each other. They couldnt even pull their chairs out with out hitting one another. I questioned the teacher and she stated "Because of cut backs all teachers have more students to deal with".

After talking to other teachers they told me that this is happening mainly in the "All Black Districts" and advised me to call the Central office and complain becasue they will not listen to them.

I ask for advise because Im a no nonsense, straight forward, very direct, cut thru the b/s type of person. I need help from the Sister's and Brothers who or more, would you say "Even Keeled" and business minded on how to approach this matter. I might mess around and end up wit charges against me.

So if any have advise, Im all ears. Thanks so much in advance.

BTW: For any of the family who are educators, my hats off to you. You work to hard and are paid far to little. Much Love.

Ma'at Hetep

2. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    I do know that in NYC and Chicago the Black schools get neglected

I can't speak for Chicago and the hell the parents still go through there 50 so called years after Jim Crow,
    but here in NYC there has been since the death of Kennedy a real estate value tax bracket allocation of funds system, that si the better the surpuonding homes and hood, the more money the school gets, and the sad depressing horror is that we have no grassroots movement or any other kind of movement to battle this crap.
    I worked for the then NYC Board of Education in the 80s and prsonaly saw the racism at district level, were I personaly created enrichment materials fro inner city youth that were warehoused in the basement of high schools and never touched the hands of the students.
    Now we sit here on our hands without an organization nor an outcry and watch this idiot bloomberg takeover our schools single handedly like a dictator with no community oversight and Sharpton selling out our kids cause bloomy provides him hair relaxers and cases of Jenny Craig and Dick Gegory, behaveyourself Diet.

Brother this sick stuff has no ther answer then for us to use any means necessary
    (LIKE THE INTERNET AND INTERSTATE DICUSSION BOARDS) to unify around this issue and together organize a strategy.

We don't even have one here in NYC so I realy don't know what to tell you as an individual parent other then talk personaly and set up a meeting with
    1; the most progressive politicians in your diatrict
    2 the most active and EFFECTIVE grassroots organization in your district
    3 your assemblyman
    state senator
    congressman
    and senator

It will take some networking with parents on the block or in the PTA to get more voices to make a louder noise, but,

likew the drugs in our community,

EVERY BLACK MAN AND WOMAN THAT BREATHES AIR SHOULD BE INVOLVED WITH THIS ISSUE AT A RATE OF 5 HOURS PER WEEK
    BECAUSE OUR ONLY FUTURE IS OUR CHILDREN,
    AND MOST OF US DURING THIS DEPRESSION MUST RELY O THE GOVERNMENT EDUCATION SYSTEM, SO WE MUST UNITE TO CHANGE IT LIKE E DID IN THE 60S AND 70S

3. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +759
    Peace,

[putting on my conflict resolution hat]

You were already told the reason for the overcrowding so what exactly will you accomplish by complaining to the central office? It stands to reason they're aware of the overcrowding issue and are doing what they can to accommodate the larger amount of students with limited funding and limited facilities.

The thing to think about is whether or not the funds are being appropriated fairly. You've heard that the funds are not being distributed proportionately among all the schools and that the inner city children are catching the short end of the stick (never seems to fail that whitey is gonna take care of his own). So if you really want to be bout it with the social change, you gonna have to collect your facts. Start digging around in district budgets. You would greatly strengthen your argument at "central office" if you go in there with numbers that substantiate that the suburban (white kids) schools are getting disproportionate funding compared to the urban (black kids) schools.

As far as the people skills, just remember you attract more flies with honey than with vinegar. Make them show and prove what's happening is indeed fair. You might find out they really are doing the best they can. If not then think solution. Complaints with no solution generally fall on deaf ears.

Peace
    Precise Infinite Peace Allah

4. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    unfortunately brother, education is mostly funded by property taxes...so the more neighborhoods pay in taxes the more funding is available to the school district....
    in places like chicago, which is the most segregated city in the world, this is a recipe for disaster(i.e. the derrick rose/memphis scandal)...taint nothing you can really do about it but try to finagle a way to get ur children in a better school district...

the government doesn't care as long as the majority of the white kids are getting all they need in terms of education...

it's a cold world...but ur a smart brother so i know u and ur wife will think of something...good luck!

one love
    khasm

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    organize!

PTA

6. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    Bro Nasheed

As one who was an advocate and went to the schools on behalf of children when I ran my afterschool program, start with the Principal. I found the Principal had no clue, sad but true in some of the cases I dealt with. If the Principal has no answer, then you go to a board meeting. You'll be surprised what folks will do for you when you show your interested and involved. If I can be of further help, let me know. I was just thinking, you might want to see if you can find other parents who are also interested but maybe they have issues that prevent them from showing up. Dont write them off because the teacher said they didnt show up.

7. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Hope this helps

Brother Nasheed

Hopefully the teacher explained and justified satisfactorily to you and your wife why all of the children were disciplined and not the guilty who caused the misdeed. If the culprit was not known. That kind of discipline is not acceptable. It is wrong and punishes and makes the innocents kids, who may not even have a clue of what happened, suffer too.

I praise the relationship of trust and confidence
    Your children have in you and your wife.

Your children feel confident that if something is done to them they do not deserve, and they feel is wrong. They can confide in their parents and feel there will be a resolution.

Especially your child feels that the punishment of them for some others misdeeds were not fair. Keep encouraging this kind of relationship.

Keep your composure and seek the solution as Sister Linda has suggested.

It is a shame the teachers and administration have their hands tied.
    The whole process has to be a continuous chain. Parent, Child, Teacher, Principle, Board Administration and the Department of Education.

My signature. When someone has their hands tied, something inside them dies, is lost, or is never resolved. That signature comes from experience.
    The teachers feel they have no say so, for fear of firing or reprimand.
    The principle may take the low road of just accepting the dilemma as well.

As a parent you can change something. You don't have your mouth taped or your hands bound.

My signature. When someone has their hands tied, something inside them dies, is lost or is never resolved. That signature comes from experience.
    The teachers feel they have no say so, for fear of firing or reprimand.
    The principle may take the low road of just accepting the dilemma as well.

As a parent you can change something. You don't have your mouth taped or your hands bound.

Trouble is a form of attention. You want attention. sqeak and start trouble.

========================
    Dr. Cleopatra Figgures

http://slps.schoolwires.net/19621084161617990/lib/19621084161617990/Accountability/Accountability%20Flowchart.pdf

The Accountability Office provides the venue for reporting, analyzing and monitoring data on the performance of students and schools and district support functions. The office provides data to inform policy decisions and for federal and state compliance reports. Additionally, it coordinates services to support school improvement planning and equitable access to educational opportunities for all students

=========================
    To access the St. Louis Public Schools website, please go to www.slps.org.

Contact your Primary Contact by:
    Email – [email protected]
    Phone – 314.345.2427

When requesting support, keep these questions in mind.

1. What were you trying to do?
    2. What do you expect to happen?
    3. What happened instead?
    4. What are the steps to re-create the issue?

=============

http://www.slps.org/19621051994153557/site/default.asp

The elected St. Louis Board of Education is composed of members elected at large by the voters of the City of St. Louis. School Board members serve without compensation. When vacancies occur between elections, the Mayor appoints a replacement to serve until the next Board election. The Board selects a president, vice president and secretary each June.

Currently, the St. Louis Public Schools District is under the governance of a three-member Special Administrative Board (SAB). One member is appointed by the Governor, one by the Mayor of St. Louis and one by the President of the St. Louis Board of Aldermen.

The SAB has the legal responsibility for the education of children from ages 5 to 21 who live within the city boundaries. It is a policy-making body with the primary function of establishing and monitoring rules, plans and procedures for the school system. The Board appoints a superintendent to manage its budget, supervise the staff and students, and make recommendations for the operations of the schools and support services.

Elected Board members and Special Administrative Board members may be reached at 314-345-2230.

======

http://www.slps.org/19621051994153557/blank/browse.asp?A=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=55289

We, the citizens of the St. Louis Community, agree to join with the Board of Education and the St. Louis Public Schools in dedicating our time, energy and resources to transform our public school system in order to prepare our children to live, work and prosper in a global, technologically advancing world.

You doing your part.. by your concerns. Do as much as you can to plug in. Set the tone and be firm and gather others with like concerns.

We hereby adopt this Education Covenant and its five guiding Principles: Academic Achievement; Safe and Orderly Environment; Community Collaboration; Equity; and Efficient and Effective Support Operations. This Education Covenant is an embodiment of our pledge to make quality education our top priority.

We, the citizens of the St. Louis Community, agree to join with the Board of Education and the St. Louis Public Schools in dedicating our time, energy and resources to transform our public school system in order to prepare our children to live, work and prosper in a global, technologically advancing world.
    We hereby adopt this Education Covenant and its five guiding Principles: Academic Achievement; Safe and Orderly Environment; Community Collaboration; Equity; and Efficient and Effective Support Operations. This Education Covenant is an embodiment of our pledge to make quality education our top priority.

Core Beliefs
    Education Covenant Sign Up

Covenant Principles
    I. Academic Achievement
    II. Safe and Orderly Environment
    III. Community Collaboration
    IV. Equity
    V. Efficient and Effective Support Operations

=========

http://www.slps.org/19621051994153557/blank/browse.asp?A=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=55280

8. Nasheed

Otr Truck Driver
    Ratings:
    +168
    Ma'at Hetep

I am truly honored by all the responses so far and the "Outstanding" suggestions given. I will incorperate all into one plan and move on it.
    Once again "Thank You So Much".

Ma'at Hetep

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    ya'll might not wanna hear this but 6/10 teachers at predominantly black schools dont give a fiznuck....

i've seen it...on too many levels....

one love
    khasm

10. Nasheed

Otr Truck Driver
    Ratings:
    +168
    Ma'at Hetep

The sad part about this Bro is I have to agree wit you.
    Ma'at Hetep