Black Women : In 1968 when "Black women wore afros they were "Black & Beautiful in 2016 they are called "ugly"

nilevalley

PREMIUM MEMBER
Dec 18, 2014
Black people are in a very dangerous place. They have gone from a history where black women fought for civil rights and proudly wore their Afros as they sang out loud “I’m black and I’m proud”, to a time in which black women call each other “ugly African monkey” for looking natural. - See more at: http://newafricanmagazine.com/not-ugly-looking-natural/#sthash.R16Kf0nO.dpuf
- Akua Djanie-

How bad can it be sisters and brothers when someone calls you an ugly monkey
because you choose to wear your own natural hair. The hair you were born with
hair not knotted and matted down under thread, glue and long to the top of your
butt weave.

What has happened to all of our minds the past 45 years? Where has that black and proud spirit
James Brown long ago sang about and Nikki Giovanni recited to us in her poems gone away to? When I see
commercials on T.V. advertising shampoos and oils for the current "trendy style"
of Afro twisted hair styles, I ask myself is it really just a temporary fad or do these
ladies know what afros are suppose to represent?

How bad is it when we give top priority to weave, fake nails and eyelashes and forget
any attitudes we are suppose to have about being black and proud of our own natural
hair and facial characteristics?

Please take time and read the astounding link below;

http://newafricanmagazine.com/not-ugly-looking-natural/

And to those of you who remember the "black pride age"
and those of you who are too young to have knowledge
of those phenomenal times I want to you to hear the black pride and cultural
greatness that permeated Africa America.You will under why I am perplexed
at the black attitudes and opinions of our times.

Black Liberation, Civil Rights and Soul: The 1960s and 1970s

The afro made a sudden resurgence in the late sixties as fashion shifted to reflect the cultural pulse of the African-American community. Afros, also known as naturals, evolved into political statements designed to echo a growing segment of blacks reclaiming their identities. The Black Power Movement of the 1970s orchestrated the emerging of the afro as cultural embodiment of freedom of expression.

Author Cynthia S. Scott reports the afro was initially unpopular among the elders in the black community “who were still driven by older values that the young people were rejecting.” However, this shifted as the Black Panther Party rose to prominence and proudly displayed their afros as a sign of resistance.

It was a period of redefining aesthetics to further identity and resist monolithic notions of blackness. Black became synonymous with beautiful and the afro was a symbol of pride. As pride grew, so did the size of afros.

The afro was small in the mid-1960s. The Civil Rights Movement, interlaced with respectability politics, kept many blacks in church attire and away from afro picks. The adoration for large afros increased in the 1970s. Pam Grier, Angela Davis and the Jackson Five displayed the style proudly.

- Politics Soul and Love: The history of the Afro by Evette Dionne

I guess it depends on whose perspective you're hearing, because there are a lot of (black) females I've seen this decade calling natural hair beautiful and saying it's the only way a black woman should wear her crown.

There's always going to be people who hate it; they've been around since we were all first told our skin, hair, and features are all wrong, and they're going to stick around for some time coming. Brush 'em off.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back