Black Women : In 1968 when "Black women wore afros they were "Black & Beautiful in 2016 they are called "ugly"

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by nilevalley, Apr 14, 2016.

1. nilevalley

nilevalley going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +93
    Black people are in a very dangerous place. They have gone from a history where black women fought for civil rights and proudly wore their Afros as they sang out loud “I’m black and I’m proud”, to a time in which black women call each other “ugly African monkey” for looking natural. - See more at: http://newafricanmagazine.com/not-ugly-looking-natural/#sthash.R16Kf0nO.dpuf
    - Akua Djanie-

How bad can it be sisters and brothers when someone calls you an ugly monkey
    because you choose to wear your own natural hair. The hair you were born with
    hair not knotted and matted down under thread, glue and long to the top of your
    butt weave.

What has happened to all of our minds the past 45 years? Where has that black and proud spirit
    James Brown long ago sang about and Nikki Giovanni recited to us in her poems gone away to? When I see
    commercials on T.V. advertising shampoos and oils for the current "trendy style"
    of Afro twisted hair styles, I ask myself is it really just a temporary fad or do these
    ladies know what afros are suppose to represent?

How bad is it when we give top priority to weave, fake nails and eyelashes and forget
    any attitudes we are suppose to have about being black and proud of our own natural
    hair and facial characteristics?

Please take time and read the astounding link below;

http://newafricanmagazine.com/not-ugly-looking-natural/

And to those of you who remember the "black pride age"
    and those of you who are too young to have knowledge
    of those phenomenal times I want to you to hear the black pride and cultural
    greatness that permeated Africa America.You will under why I am perplexed
    at the black attitudes and opinions of our times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
  3. nilevalley

United States
    Ratings:
    +93
  4. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Whew, this took me on a journey of bewilderment.

Of course we can all go with the obvious "amen" and "right on", but for me questions arose as to how some of these trends came to be, or what might have inspired them.

I recognize this is a reference to "black women" and beauty, so this probably will not address that in particular, more so the context of the "afro".

For me, a "natural" is just for practical purposes, not anything symbolic like it may have aspired to be in the 60s and 70s (the curl soon became the trend and the fro slowly faded, as far as a mass trend)

But when I go and "research" this, I shake my head at what comes up.

upload_2016-4-14_20-25-29.png
    http://archaeologyinfo.com/homo-erectus

My first reaction upon looking at this was "what tha...?!"

Now of course this is a recreation, as "scientists" don't have any idea what facial and hair qualities this "species" would have had.

This was the furthest presumed connection, but without any sort of physical and tangible validation.

Here is what I found to be more recent (19th century)
    upload_2016-4-14_20-33-57.png

The "Circassian women" (or moss haired girls).

But this was more than likely a side show, and a desire to look "exotic"... based on encounters of colonizers with natives.
    upload_2016-4-14_20-44-14.png

Full poem below:

http://www.bartleby.com/246/1128.html

"Fuzzy Wuzzy" of Sudan
    upload_2016-4-14_20-44-58.png

So ’ere ’stoyou, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your ’ome in the Soudan;
    You ’re a pore benighted ’eathen but a first-class fightin’ man;
    An’ ’ere ’stoyou, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, with your ’ayrick ’ead of ’air—
    You big black boundin’ beggar—for you broke a British square!

We would all conclude that the female afro was a symbolic gesture from black women that they were "down" or "hip", as well as solidarity with particular black power movements against government aggression and oppression.

The full head of hair brings back memories to some, and they know what it represented.
    Maybe there could be something to build upon here though, will touch on it in another thread possibly,

But this can be added to or taken away from, as I am unaware as to the origins of the 60's afro.
    Anyone have some input on this?

5. nilevalley

United States
    Ratings:
    +93
    Black Liberation, Civil Rights and Soul: The 1960s and 1970s

The afro made a sudden resurgence in the late sixties as fashion shifted to reflect the cultural pulse of the African-American community. Afros, also known as naturals, evolved into political statements designed to echo a growing segment of blacks reclaiming their identities. The Black Power Movement of the 1970s orchestrated the emerging of the afro as cultural embodiment of freedom of expression.

Author Cynthia S. Scott reports the afro was initially unpopular among the elders in the black community “who were still driven by older values that the young people were rejecting.” However, this shifted as the Black Panther Party rose to prominence and proudly displayed their afros as a sign of resistance.

It was a period of redefining aesthetics to further identity and resist monolithic notions of blackness. Black became synonymous with beautiful and the afro was a symbol of pride. As pride grew, so did the size of afros.

The afro was small in the mid-1960s. The Civil Rights Movement, interlaced with respectability politics, kept many blacks in church attire and away from afro picks. The adoration for large afros increased in the 1970s. Pam Grier, Angela Davis and the Jackson Five displayed the style proudly.

- Politics Soul and Love: The history of the Afro by Evette Dionne

6. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Yea, the BPP for Defense was the most notable procurers of this trend, but still wondering what sparked the concept, outside from the anti-social dynamics involved with any outward expression of breaking away from normalcy in order to gain a sense of control and empowerment.

Here is an even more extensive article on the "afro"

History of the Afro Hairstyle

By Maxine Leeds Craig
    http://fashion-history.lovetoknow.com/body-fashions/afro-hairstyle

Good and balanced read

7. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I guess it depends on whose perspective you're hearing, because there are a lot of (black) females I've seen this decade calling natural hair beautiful and saying it's the only way a black woman should wear her crown.

There's always going to be people who hate it; they've been around since we were all first told our skin, hair, and features are all wrong, and they're going to stick around for some time coming. Brush 'em off.