Black People : Imus apology too little too late; 'It is time for him to go' 'nappy-headed ho's.'

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Goddess Auset333, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    Imus apology too little too late; 'It is time for him to go'

(APRIL 6, 2007) WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The National Association of Black Journalists remains outraged after the racially inflammatory insults made by radio personality Don Imus, even though the shock jock offered a two-line apology days after he called members of the Rutgers women's basketball team 'nappy-headed ho's.'

NABJ is calling for the immediate removal of Imus and his WFAN producer, Bernard McGuirk -- who referred to the players as "jigaboos and wannabees" -- by Monday morning.

The association also questions if sponsors of his show -- which include the New York Stock Exchange, The New York Times, Simon & Schuster, Random House and Newsday -- will want to continue to be associated with the program.

"What he said has deeply hurt too many people -- black and white, male and female," said Bryan Monroe, NABJ president. "His so-called apology comes two days after the fact, and it is too little, too late."

Imus has had a history of racial insults on his program, having called award-winning journalist Gwen Ifill of PBS a "cleaning lady" and referring to columnist William Rhoden of the New York Times as "a quota hire."

"As journalists, we firmly believe in the First Amendment and free speech," Monroe added. "But free speech comes with responsibility, and sometimes with consequences. His removal must be that consequence."

"These were nothing but hard working student athletes — young women, just trying to do their best. After 40 years on the air, it is clear that he has lost touch with all that is decent and honorable in America," said Monroe. "It is time for him to go."

On his show at 6 a.m. Friday morning, Imus read the following prepared statement: "Want to take a moment to apologize for an insensitive and ill-conceived remark we made the other morning regarding the Rutgers women's basketball team. It was completely inappropriate, and we can understand why people were offended. Our characterization was thoughtless and stupid, and we are sorry."

MSNBC also issued the following statement: "While simulcast by MSNBC, 'Imus in the Morning' is not a production of the cable network and is produced by WFAN Radio. As Imus makes clear every day, his views are not those of MSNBC. We regret that his remarks were aired on MSNBC and apologize for these offensive comments."

NABJ appreciates the swift action from NBC and its cable channel MSNBC in condemning his remarks, and now hopes the network will continue to do the right thing and separate itself permanently from the incendiary host.

2. Rahim

Rahim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +51
    he needs to be fired for his remarks, but will he be fired ? nope...sadly he is showing his true colors and racism in a public forum and his employers are condoning his behavior, because they are that way them selves.

3. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
  4. Goddess Auset333

Ratings:
    +23
    theblacklist@:
    Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 08:04:50 -0700 (PDT)
    To: Zili
    Subject: [TheBlackList] HLLN joins the call demanding Radio host, Don Imus, resign or be fired...

In case you missed it, here is the video where Don Imus (Sid Rosenberg) calls the Black women on Rutgers Girls Basketball team "Nappy headed whores"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui1jPNDWArM

We at HLLN, join Essence, the National Association of Black Journalist and others in asserting that Don Imus should resign or be fired. As one internet listserve author writes:

"....There should be collective effort of individual responses that to have Imus fired like jamming the phone lines first thing Monday morning, sending emailsand faxes demanding that he be immediately fired! We must show the "powers that be" that they are not dealing with one Black "leader" or organization (they have already mastered how to deal with that). From now on they are dealing with the entire Black Nation who will respond individually and collectively across the planet anytime we are disrespected.

I know that there will be some who will try to realionalize inaction but as a wise Brother once told me, you can have a hundred reasons not to do something but you only need one reason to do something...

Here is some info I pulled of the net

Min. Paul Scott
    Messianic Afrikan Nation
    Durham NC

How can I write to Imus?
    U.S. Mail: WFAN 660 AM Sports Radio 34-12 36th Street Astoria, NY 11106 E-Mail: There are two published e-mail addresses for the Imusprogram. You can write to [email protected] to contact the program at WFAN or [email protected] to contact the program at MSNBC. 6- How do I call Imus? You can call The Imus in the Morning Program1-800-370-IMUS (4687). "*******************

Critics Call for Don Imus to Resign After Racial Comments
    Saturday , April 07, 2007

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,264808,00.html

Unimpressed by his on-air apology or corporate promises of a tighter leash, angry critics of nationally syndicated radio host Don Imus called Saturday for his dismissal over his racially charged comments about the mostly black Rutgers women's basketball team.

"I accept his apology, just as I want his bosses to accept his resignation," said the Rev. Al Sharpton. He promised to picket Imus' New York radio home, WFAN-AM, unless the veteran of nearly 40 years of anything-goes broadcasting is gone within a week.

Sharpton was not alone in his anger over Imus' description of the Rutgers' women as "nappy headed hos" during a Wednesday morning segment of his show, which airs for millions of listeners on more than 70 stations and the MSNBC television network.

On Friday, after Imus delivered an on-air apology, both WFAN and MSNBC condemned his remarks. WFAN issued a statement promising to "monitor the program's content" but Imus, a member of the National Broadcasters Hall of Fame, was not publicly disciplined.

The National Association of Black Journalists, the editor-in-chief of Essence magazine and a New York sports columnist joined the chorus against Imus.
    "What he has said has deeply hurt too many people — black and white, male and female," said NABJ President Bryan Monroe. "His so-called apology comes two days after the fact, and it is too little, too late."

Angela Burt Murray, of Essence magazine, called on Imus' bosses to take a harder stance over his "unacceptable" remarks. "It needs to be made clear that this type of behavior is offensive and will not be tolerated without severe consequences," Murray said.

Columnist Filip Bondy of the Daily News, in a column headlined "Imus spews hate, should be fired," said the radio star "should be axed for one of the most despicable comments ever uttered on the air."

The Rutgers team, which includes eight black women, lost the NCAA women's championship game Tuesday, and Imus was discussing the game with producer Bernard McGuirk.

"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ..."
    "Some hardcore hos," said McGuirk.

"That's some nappy headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.
    Karen Mateo, a spokeswoman for WFAN's parent company CBS Radio, said Saturday there was no additional comment on the Imus situation.
    Imus' success has often been a a result of his on-air barbs.

"That Imus is in trouble for being politically incorrect is certainly not new," said Tom Taylor, editor of the trade publication Inside Radio. "He's lived his life in and out of trouble ... This is something CBS will be watching very carefully."

Recent controversies involving Imus focused on a member of his morning team, Sid Rosenberg, who was fired two years ago after a particularly vile crack about cancer-stricken singer Kylie Minogue. Before that, a racially tinged comment by Rosenberg about Venus and Serena Williams stirred another controversy.

The NABJ cited two other incidents in which Imus himself insulted two black journalists. Imus has called PBS' Gwen Ifill a "cleaning lady" and described William Rhoden of The New York Times as "a quota hire," the group said.
    Sharpton said he was writing to the Federal Communications Commission about Imus' remarks.

"This is not some unemployed comic like Michael Richards," Sharpton said, referring to the "Seinfeld" actor who used the N-word and referred to lynching in a rant last year. "This is an established figure, allowed to use the airwaves for sexist and racist remarks."

The full remarks:

Imus: So, I watched the basketball game last night between — a little bit of Rutgers and Tennessee, the women's final.
    Rosenberg: Yeah, Tennessee won last night — seventh championship for [Tennessee coach] Pat Summitt, I-Man. They beat Rutgers by 13 points.
    Imus: That's some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they got tattoos and —
    McGuirk: Some hard-core hos.
    Imus: That's some nappy-headed hos there. I'm gonna tell you that now, man, that's some — woo. And the girls from Tennessee, they all look cute, you know, so, like — kinda like — I don't know.
    McGuirk: A Spike Lee thing.
    Imus: Yeah.
    McGuirk: The Jigaboos vs. the Wannabes — that movie that he had.
    Imus: Yeah, it was a tough —
    Charles McCord: Do The Right Thing.
    McGuirk: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
    Imus: I don't know if I'd have wanted to beat Rutgers or not, but they did, right?
    Rosenberg: It was a tough watch. The more I look at Rutgers, they look exactly like the Toronto Raptors.
    ------------------------------------
    theblacklist@ wrote: To: theblacklist@
    From: Makemba X To: Subject: RE: [TheBlackList] 4/9 is Dump Don Imus Day! Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 07:43:15 -0400 Importance: Normal To this I add, WHERE IS THE NBA ON THIS? WHERE ARE THE BLACK BASKETBALL PLAYERS ON THIS???? WHERE IS MIKE????? WHERE IS PATRICK??????? WHERE IS KOBE?????? WHERE IS SPREWILL????WHERE IS THE BASKETBALL PLAYERS UNION??????????This happened on a so called sports show. If these Black basketball and Black sports players are not indignant about letting these vile, nasty, decrepit and ugly white racist men degrade these beautiful, young, Black sisters and Black womanhood, then that will be even more shameful. So I say call the National Basketball Players Association also. The director of that is Billy Hunter, a Black man. All the Black basketball players have to do is say that they will not grant anymore interviews to NBC as long as Imus and his Klan are on their airwaves. This will be over.I remember a few years back during the Ilian Gonzalez spectacle, when the Cuban community in Miami called for all the Cubans to strike for one day, the Cuban baseball players on the Miami Marlins refused to play ball that day. So if they can do that (and I always said Ilian belonged with his father) this is the least the Black sports players can do. And we better demand that of them.Here is the contact info for the National Basketball Players Association:For information and any other questions please contact us at [email protected]. Our mailing address is:National Basketball Players Association2 Penn Plaza, Suite 2430New York, NY 10121Phone: (212) 655-0880Fax (212) 655-0881 Contact Information for NBC:[email protected]

5. Goddess Auset333

Ratings:
    +23
    Imus on Al Sharpton radio show

http://news. yahoo.com/ s/ap/20070409/ ap_on_re_ us/imus_protests

6. GOODYMAN

GOODYMAN Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually it did not happen on a sports show.

Approaching it from a racist, bigoted standpoint would have less of an effect as approaching it from a sexist standpoint, borne out of ignorance.

There is nothing wrong with being nappy-headed, though the young women on Rutgers wore nary a natural or beautifully nappy style at all. So I'd be likely to floor his *** for being blind and clueless about what african hair looks like.

As well the issue is who the he.ll is he to be calling fokes "hos"? See you have to hit people with logic and not emotionalism.

As well Don Imus has said worse things that should have gotten him fired a long time ago.

One thing he said was that Jill Carroll (of the Christian Science monitor) was in cahoots with the Iraquis and insinuated that the reason that SHE was released, as opposed to her translator (who go smoked) was because she was "doing" Habib (Ali Shalal)'s *** and is probably carrying his baby.

He's just a foolish man who, in order to make a living, hollers out foolish things.

He needs to be ashamed, and have his ego crushed. That would shut him up for a while, cause firing wouldn't do anything but gain him more sympathy from the unconscious and indifferent.