Omowale Jabali : Immigration Protests :"We Are America"

Discussion in 'Omowale Jabali' started by Omowale Jabali, Apr 10, 2006.

?

Do you support "Immigration Reform"?

1. yes

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. no

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. undecided

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    As i am typing this I am watching the immigration protest (Rep. Albert Wynn speaking) in Washington,D.C. This is after an over 500,000 estimated protest in Dallas yesterday. In some parts of this country Black folks are hard and fast against "immigration reform" while in others Black politicians, student organizations and trade union leaders are out-front in support of the Immigration Protests. My question is this: How does "Immigration Reform" benefit Black people BORN in the united states?And, what are the long-term implications and possible results of granting "amnesty" to so-called "illegal immigants"??

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Good question!! Any sane thinkers care to share.....Just [email protected];)

3. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    I personally find it strange that Black people are even concerning themselves with this one way or another.

No one has yet to truly, empirically demonstrate how an immigrant has held us back in any form or fashion.

This whole immigration issue is the White Man's problem, not ours. We need to divorce ourselves from the notion that what adversely effects the White man, also adversely effects us, and vice versa.

What's bad for him, is good for us, and what's good for him, is bad for us.

I say, let's just sit back, and let this immigration issue (along with every other issue that he's facing) blow up in his face.

No need to take us with him, when he falls off the cliff. :)

PEACE

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Well brother, I asked the questions because, not only do I find it "strage" as well, but I just happen to be online trying to catch up on some work ( while here for a few) and watching CSPAN so my personal "concern" centers on the fact that the demonstrations have been getting a lot of media coverage, even on Black Radio stations in my area. My own personal feeling is different that Gil Scott's because it seems as if "The revolution IS Being Televised" and amerika's "sleeping giant" IS awake..

And I tell you something. I forgot many are boycotting so when i went shopping earlier i totally felt an ease because everything was so quiet with the traffic much lighter.

despite what we may express here on the internet, there are a LOT of Black community leaders who ARE rallying support chanting "Viva La Raza"....lol!!

my "concern" is I hope Black folks don't get further divided debating this point and while some folks are hitting the streets, more of US are hitting the books and the job market and career expo lines..

Peace!

5. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    This is one way to look at it.

Immigration is bad for those with low job skills or low paying jobs.
    More competition for the jobs. Most employers black and white will hire people if they can pay less. Some of immigrants the work harder. If you were getting paid about 10 times more than you were used to you also would work a little harder or take a dirty job. Employers are in the business to make money so they cut cost when they can. Same way when you go shopping, most will shop were they prices are lower.

Immigration is good for those with higher paying jobs.
    Don’t have to compete with most immigrants for jobs. Goods and services are more available and cheaper since businesses have lower cost by hiring immigrants.

6. spicybrown

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Again, it is us (Blacks) who will be affected the "problem", whichever way the vote goes........don't you get the pattern by now?

7. spicybrown

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Steve 69..........

Is it only the low wage jobs that are the center of this argument?....What about housing......education?

8. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I don't know. I haven't really studied this issue but I'm starting to think that we should be suspicious, if not concerned. Nothing happens in this country without one group standing to gain and others lose. It may turn out that this situation will not impact us directly, but I'm sure it will indirectly.

If you're illegal, tell me how you can be in a country in the massive numbers that Mexicans are and manage to find employment so that you can put money back into the host country's economy. You have no social security number but yet you're still able to obtain medical treatment, housing, education, and jobs. How is that you are able to do all of that, not pay any taxes on your income, yet be in the country illegally?

Why now? This is Bush's last term and we know before he got involved in politics, he had a import/export trade business with Mexico. Is this his way of following through with a promise to the Mexican government before his presidential term expires? Do the jobs that illegal immigrants currently in competition with Blacks who are looking for jobs? Migrant farm workers and service jobs are the jobs where you find the majority of illegal immigrants working, am I right?

Seems to me, granting citizenship to immigrants would be vehemently opposed by businesses that hire them. Why? Because it will drive the cost of products up which will be passed on to consumers. If costs are lower now because these companies are taking advantage of cheap labor, when legalized, they will have to pay, at least, minimum wages which is about to increase...and not to mention fringe benefits.

Wouldn't cost of education increase, medical insurance and other services as well? And for everyone?

I don't know....Blacks may need to be suspicious because, if America was so generous, why do they keep turning boats around in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean when Haitians try to come here? Maybe this is Mexico's way of recapturing part of their land. Who knows....

Queenie :spinstar:

9. Africana

Africana Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +9
    It doesn't

Of all the large diverse groups of America, we (the African-Americans who have been here for several generations) are not immigrants. We are a people who were brought here against our will. This immigrant pandemonium has nothing to do with blacks, only Mexicans and a few other people from Latin American countries.

10. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Hell they even got a date which is new I think it's in april or may that they are refusing to work so we could see how much they contribute to the economy.
    Yeah ok:tongue2: