Black People : Immigrants seen not taking Americans' jobs

panafrica

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
WASHINGTON - Big increases in immigration since 1990 have not hurt employment prospects for U.S. workers, says a study released Thursday.

The report comes as Congress and many Americans are debating immigration policy, a big issue in this fall's midterm congressional elections.

The Pew Hispanic Center found no evidence that increases in immigration led to higher unemployment among Americans, said Rakesh Kochhar, who authored the study.

Kochhar said other factors, such as economic growth, played a larger role than immigration in setting the job market for Americans.

The study, however, did not look at whether wages were affected by immigration. Advocates for tighter immigration policies argue that immigrant workers depress wages for American workers, especially those with few skills and little education.

Immigration supporters argue that foreign workers often take jobs that Americans do not want and will not take.

The Pew Hispanic Center is a nonpartisan research organization that does not advocate policy positions. The center studied census data on the increase in immigrants from 1990 to 2000, and from 2000 to 2004, for each state. It matched those figures with state employment rates, unemployment rates and participation in the labor force among native-born Americans.

The U.S. had 28 million immigrants _ legal and illegal _ age 16 and older in 2000, an increase of 61 percent from 1990. By 2004, there were 32 million.

Immigrants tend to be younger and have less education than American workers. The study, however, found "no apparent relationship between the growth of foreign workers with less education and the employment outcome of native workers with the same low level of education."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14285172/?GT1=8404

oldiesman said:
when you have kids dropping out of jr.high,but saying that a job at mickey d's is beneath them,when young black men refuse to work at good paying construction jobs then we can't really say that others are taking work from us.

The belief that immigrants only take jobs that others don't want is the image that wealthy business owners and their conservative lackies want the American public to believe, but it doesn't match the reality in cities where thousands of black people (particularly males) struggle to find employment due to competition with illegal immigrant labor. I've never seen a young black man refuse to work at good paying construction jobs, in fact I see many brothers working on roads and buildings, but only in areas where blacks are in the overwhelming majority. Anyone place all construction workers are Hispanic with a white supervisors. If you think young black men don't want these jobs, then you are delusional. Also if you think all immigrants do is work at fast food restaurants, clean dishes, and cut grass; then you are extremely naive.

immigrants...

panafrica said:
The belief that immigrants only take jobs that others don't want is the image that wealthy business owners and their conservative lackies want the American public to believe, but it doesn't match the reality in cities where thousands of black people (particularly males) struggle to find employment due to competition with illegal immigrant labor. I've never seen a young black man refuse to work at good paying construction jobs, in fact I see many brothers working on roads and buildings, but only in areas where blacks are in the overwhelming majority. Anyone place all construction workers are Hispanic with a white supervisors. If you think young black men don't want these jobs, then you are delusional. Also if you think all immigrants do is work at fast food restaurants, clean dishes, and cut grass; then you are extremely naive.
delusional,naive?WHOOA SLOW YA ROLL,i have spoken to brothers in construction as to why there aren't more of us doing the work and on more than one occasion i was told that most young black men don't want to work construction,now as for the fast food industry most of the immigrants there have someone to sponsor them[cause most of em don't speak english]which doesn't really matter to the owners who aren't gonna pay more than the minimum wage anyhow,now OF COURSE i know that there are hispanics in ALL forms of business,but for the immigrant without much english and maybe NO PAPERS,construction and fast foods are the way in...may i go now?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back