Black People : Imitation - Most Sincere Form of Flattery?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hello Family,

It's been said that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Suggesting that if someone does what you do, it should be counted as a compliment.

My question is, do you consider it a compliment?

Let's say, every day you go to work, someone in your office wears the same thing you wore, the next day?!

or ..

You get your hair done in a certain style, and next time you see this person, they have theirs looking just like yours.

or ...

Someone is always watching you, to see what you do, so they can do the same.

I think yall get my drift.

I suppose this could be considered flattery ... maybe the person is obsessed with you and this is their way of being "close" to you ... or is it really something else ... something more weird or sinister ... when does this imitating cross the line?! :eeek:

I'm not sure how i'd assess such a situation. I do see how it might be considered flattery, as the saying suggests.

Whatchall think?

Have you ever had someone imitate you?

How would you feel if someone was watching your every move so they can do what you do?

Would you be flattered?

:heart:

Destee

2. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    That would be annoying if someone copied your every move....it would be weird too that they are paying such attention.

When I first read this post I thought it was a simple answer...think about little children copying mom, dad and their older syblings. But then I thought about highschool. I was a loner and few tried to rech out...but many spread rumors and made comments....that being said, on a large number of occaisions, I would come thru wearing a certain style...it was rarely the most expensive thing...I shopped for sales in things I liked and could care less about names....anyways, a month or so later, tons of people were rocking similar, or the same stuff.

That could be flattery, but these are people who didnt like me and made comments. One time I overheard one saying (thats what he wore last year) in reference to me not comming with some new style on the first day of class. That bothered me....why did he give a rats @ss what I wear??

Interesting topic Destee!!

3. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    Flattery? Hmmm, sounds like immature flattery, if it is indeed meant to be that. To admire someone is fine, but to copy them? I would think that we can learn something from those we admire, to improve ourselves if we feel the need. But to copy them outright...seems sort of childish to me. I've had this happen and it was as though the person was trying to out do me, as if to say, see I can do that too. And my reaction was, ok then, good for you. This person seemed like she was a very unhappy person. Anyway...this has been my experience.

4. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    don't i know it

Imitation to a certain extent can be condoned. Anything more than that is insane. My peers imitate and take fads to a whole new level. No one is unique anymore. The minute you say something they like, they repeat it. When you decide you wanna stand out and wear something out of the ordinary, the next day you see some other chicken with the same thing on. If they've been around you long enough, people copy your gestures, your speech and the whole nine. One chick even went as far as to compliment me on my poems and whatnot until the day she just straight out stole them from me. I'm not saying that I'm this great big thing but come on. :censored:

I've always thought that it was because most girls my age don't really know themselves yet. But after a while it's just sad because these girls are slimey. They'll mirror your image and think it's okay. That just makes me sick.

A compliment, to me, is an out of the blue flattering statement that is something that someone just had to put out there.

Clones, however, are far from flattering.

5. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    Greetings Destee and family...our children do this everyday...they watch us and they imitate or merge our behavior into theirs somewhere in their lives so being imitated wouldn't bother me in the least. I really could care less if somebody wore the same or similar clothes that I wear or had a similar hairstyle or always watching me to imitate my behavior...someone is always observing our behavior, most of the time, we are not even aware that they are.

6. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I find it flattering.

My daughter and a few of her friends imitate me. My sister who is only 24 tells me all the time of how her and her friends used to want to be like me when they were kids. They wanted to dress like me, tried to act like me, wanted to drive a mo-ped like I had...all of that. How can that not be something positive? How could I look at that as annoying?

I have a friend who I am very close with. I notice her using my phrases on occassion and I think it's funny that I caught her. That just mean she likes me...which is not a bad thing.

7. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    depending...sometimes it is flattery like carriemonet said...re her daughter and friends..
    but adults...i'm like watz sounds very immature
    and yet it happens ..see it, read it, feel it..and i've learned to let it pass over me..because, in the end, they know i know they know..and if it's positive, if it helps someone then that becomes the most important thing.

8. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    Can you say stalker?

Anyway, I've been through it. People felt the need to diss my outfit, my hairstyle,my speech, and then days later they were wearing/saying/doing the same thing! It's annoying, that's what it is! A child is different. They look at the people who are closest to them for cues on how to act in the world and/or in certain situations. A full grown adult? It's just sad. Most people would rather play follow the leader than actually think. I have heard people say things like, "Oh, that dress is ugly, but J-Lo was rockin' it, so I have to get me one." But that's what the fashion industry does.... Acts as a shepard for mindless sheep........

JMO.......

Toya

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    Aren't MOST Black people great imitaters? Are white people flattered by it? I guess we'd need to ask a white person to get the answer, huh?

Queenie :spinstar:

10. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    Never thought about it that way........ :thanks: for the insight!