Black People : Imitating the Oppressor

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family ... Brother Keita ... :love:

I see this in your status comment ...

Keita Kenyatta ... It is the nature of the oppressed to imitate the oppressor as a means of getting relief from the oppression. (Today at 6:51 PM)

I think it would be a wonderful discussion to have, and i'll share my thots briefly now.

I do believe we imitate our oppressors, i see and say it often, though i don't know how natural it is.

Gaining relief by imitating them, by oppressing another already oppressed Sister or Brother, is problematic.

This relief is only perceived, for the real oppressor has eased up none, as we become some clone of them.

It concerns me that we are, have become ... are fast becoming ... the very thing we hate.

It means we have a greater problem than simply being oppressed ... for we must also stop oppressing ... each other.

Like having to kick a heroine and crack addiction, at the same time. All of us.

We aint just heroine addicts ... we aint just crack addicts ... we're heroine and crack addicts at the same time.

We are oppressed, and we oppress the oppressed ... all to the oppressors gain.

If that anology fits ... hmmmm ... :thinking: ... i problee kooda did better ... but i think my point is clear.

Anywho ... what yall think? ... Brother Keita ... Family?

Brother Keita ... i'm looking forward to your elaboration on your status comment ... good stuff ... thanks for sharing it!

Much Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

2. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137
    Sad to say, but it may be the only successful model the oppressed actually sees.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

Kemetstry ... this may be a first ... i think you're right.

Everything that we call success ... big house, big car, big job, big money ... is what they have, is what we strive for ... is success.

We need our own models of success ... and outside the paradigm given us ... i can't think of any.

Can you think of some generally accepted idea of success, that they do not hold all the highest seats therein?

Even our models of success ... are imitations of them.

Destee

4. Louis

Louis Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    We imitate our oppressor because we share the belief that he/she is superior. Dr. Marimba Ani makes a convincing case for this idea in her book Yurugu: an African-centered critique of European cultural thought and behavior. A few days back @scuderjaymes posted a link to an interview of Dr. Ani speaking on this very subject.

When we begin (as a collective) to seek and acquire knowledge of self, our belief in the oppressor's superiority will fade, and with it our adherence to his/her value system and model of success. Once we have cleansed ourselves of these corrupt belief systems, the imitation will cease and our own innate spiritual and creative powers will return...

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Oppression is a mental state. One is oppressed when one lacks the mental fortitude to recognize the Divine Will that one possesses, thus failing to exercise this Will for the upliftment and advancement of one's humanity.

Marcus Garvey taught "You can do as you Will". We need to learn to utilize our Divine Will freely and stop giving power to outdated concepts and references to entities such as "Massa" and "Oppresser" and rid ourselves of all notions which give power to fear, self hatred and inferiority complexes which reinforce negativity,defeatist attitudes and arguments as well as political inaction and apathy.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Ase!

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    it is called stockholm syndrome.

8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137

Oh, this isnt the 1st time you've agreed with me
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Feather

Feather Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +412
    i don't agree that it is successful but destructive. and i believe that this is not a divine principle but a learned self sabotaging behaviorism. a disease of the heart. that we have to change. if we are full of anger then how can we come to focus on resolve?
    even in bad situations you have to have optimism and not put all your energy and emotion into anger and rage.

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

:hello: ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :wave:

Thanks for joining us and sharing! Looking forward to reading more from you.

Please make yourself right at home, because you are!

Much Love and Peace.

Destee