Black People : I'm Trying Not to Feel Hurt - I'm Trying Not To Feel Angry

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Dec 26, 2005.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    My mother just had a promotional concert for a CD of gospel music that she sung. Most of the songs on the Cd I wrote and I put a lot of money into the project when she was in the studio.

Now I have the finished product and when i read the cover it just made my heart break to see that she did not acknowledge me as the writer or producer but her name is all over it. This is what the white man did to our people so it kinda hurts that my own mother would do this to me.

Since this is a gospel album and the songs I wrote were meant to bless people. God gave these songs to me at times when I needed comfort and strength to deal with my disabilities. So I don't want to smudge my own message by taking this to court. I want to handle this with grace but family, I need your support and your prayers to help me get past the initial emotion cause right now all I feel is pain.

I know if I say anything about it they will say my motives are wrong for wanting recognition and that I need to act like a christian and give god the glory blah blah blah. I'm so tired of dealing with christians. They are the most hateful people. They use love like a license. Treat people any kinkd of way and them demand forgivenness.

My uncles Bobby and Richard Poindexter wrote the song Thin Line Between Love and Hate and Bobby was supposed to be helping her make the right contacts in the inductry but they did not even know that I wrote the songs on the Cd they were promoting. When I brought this to her attention she just dismissed them as no knowing what they were doing. So I continued to trust her. Snd now I feel like a big dummy for doing so.

Another christian artist wanted to use one of my songs on a tour he was doing. It wasn't one that I had given her but she told me I shouldn't let my songs be performed until they are published. she also acts like my singing is so bad that she's the only person that can do anything with my songs making me feel embarrassed to let a anyone else hear them. They are beautiful songs. Maybe I sould just stick to poetry so I don't have to deal with people that want to make money off of me. Certainly I must learn to separate business and not deal with family and people who think they should just be trusted.

2. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    do you have the copyrights on any of them? I need to know, cause there is a line to be drawn between business, intent, reality and the future.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

SISTER RIVER, keep your head up - keep it to the SKY!

I'm not just saying that to comfort you... I am saying that to remind you that a zillion people have been burnt in the music industry... It is tailor-made for bumpin' the heads of those uninitiated to it's treachery... Everybody wants to be a star, and THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD, ya knowI'mSane???

Ease up on yourself, and remember this as a lesson learned, and keep on writting' songs on G.P.... Maybe it's a man thang, but never let nobody know you're hurt by their B.S.! Keep on holidng your head high, and move on past 'em with a smile on your face... It slays 'em everytime!:garbage:

4. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I have the copyright as the writer. But not registered. .If I wanted to let someone else sing the songs I could because they belong to me but not if I have to take her to court. I never thought I'd have to do that.

5. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Very true.

I think you should pull your Mama to the side and express how this situation has hurt you. Ask her to help you in finding a solution to this situation. Deal with it with your Mama...and no one else. Give her a way to save face.

6. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    River

Do you and your mother have a pretty good relationship?

I mean, can yall get comfortable and open around eachother about most things without worrying what the other may think?

7. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I hear you, brotha Isaiah. I hear ya.

DIGRESSION
    Had to stop the firetrucks came there was a fire downstairs but the fireman knocked and told me they put it out. Funny thing before I had my hearing restored firetrucks came and went and I never knew about it.
    END OF DIGRESSION

Yes, brotha, lesson learned. This didn't kill me so it's gotta make me stronger.

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    stay strong and surely what is due you will come

9. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    No I can't say we have a deep relationship. when I used to send her money to go in the studio I would wait for her to call me before I sent it because that's the only time she ever called me to see when I was going to send the money.

She's a sweet christian woman. but not very open emotionally. Every now and then
    she'll surprize me but normally she's not someone I can just talk to. I just have to make sure I keep a level head because that's all that's under my control.

10. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    River

I was gonna tell you like the others did, to sit down and try to talk things over.....but from what you've said so far in this thread like giving her money and doing other things for her.....perhaps you should just avoid her unless it's absolutely necessary.

Obviously I don't know your mother and I'm not suggesting she's a bad person, but if you guys keep crossing wires eventually something is gonna spark and with the relationsip already cool....whatever happens between you two may be irreparable.

To avoid further heartache and disappointment, I suggest you just keep your distance.

Her being your mother is even MORE of a reason to keep your distance, because with all the strong emotion you naturally have for her, any negative perception you get from her will cause you pain so great you're bound to react strongly and eventually say something you'll regret.