Black People : I'm going to Leave Now.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SophiaG, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SophiaG

SophiaG Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    You might not understand my reasonings as to why I am leaving.

But I don't feel welcome here, every time I seem to post a thread or post i feel as though my race comes into the picture ( in other peoples minds) and becomes a huge issue, invalidating every point i make or every view I hold, rather than the content of my character being assessed (which is how I thought others should be judged, but apparently I was proven wrong on Destee.) And, I am sorry, but apparently I can't....exist in an environment which is so subtlety hostile. Every time I come here, it feels as though a bit of my self-esteem has been damaged.

The last time I was here, I began to actually hate myself because I was white. This has never occurred to me before, this feeling of hating my skin color, but it happened to me while posting on Destee. It gave me a feeling of helplessness and a sense of emptiness because it was not anything I could do something about.

I think the sense of helplessness came from feeling as though there wasn't any viewpoint I could hold that would alleviate the subtle hostility I felt being directed against me. It was just there, implacable, a brick wall.

It doesn't create a very conducive conversing environment and doesn't lend to making me feel as though there is as place for me on here.

I'm tired of defending myself at every turn and feeling as though I am being put through the wringer to try to ascertain my intentions. Many times comments are aimed at me that are very subtlety snarky, and are so numerous in number that it seems as though it is ingrained into the very forum itself and I have thus concluded that i will not bother to try to change it since it is so engrained.

I came here wanting to learn more about black culture and history, to expunge any lingering racism I might hold within myself due to being brought up in a mostly white environment, but am leaving feeling a lot of negative feelings from my experiences here.

I have seen other people with small amounts of african blood in them treated the same way I have been treated.

Even though you have the rule that people can't not be made to feel welcome, I think you will have a very hard time enforcing it due to the subtlenesses of some of the ways the members here make others feel unwelcome.

I will not bother to try to wonder if it is something I have done wrong, because I have wondered if I have been doing things wrong every time I post on Destee, and I'm ...done with trying to figure out what I have done or thought or said wrong.

Thank you for all of those who have been nice to me.

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Sorry to hear this, but you gonna have to get tougher like my friend, gogounited (who happens to be a white female).

Peace In,

3. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    Now you know how many blacks feel in the real world. If you don't feel welcome, please just leave, no need for this kind of drama. And if you feel like coming back, you know the forum is a few clicks away. You are just a very sensitive girl. It's really hard to hate you or even not like you, you know. Stay, maybe you can make a case as to why whites folks shouldn't be annihilated. I'm joking. :)

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    I know i haven't ever spoken to you here, but i did read a comment you made upon entering this site and introducing yourself as WHITE and saying you had no idea about the goverment's spying and planting moles inside of black organizations to rip apart and keep black people down and under white people's foot, so to speak:

- i also read where you wanted to try and understand how black people feel here in america. The portion highlighted above pretty much shows that you begun to get a little better understanding of how we feel and like the white boy who wanted to see what it was like to be black and he made himself up to look black, the pain was so much that he only lasted a day or two before he had to return to his whiteness in tears!

- you see, when i read this i had already noticed that you were telling on yourself in more ways than one. Here, when you white professor tells you about the FBI and CIA infiltrating black groups YOU WERE SHOCKED!

- But, black people here had already mentioned this here, as you admit to have read, but thought we were crazy and in some way not to be trusted, or listened to (as you dismissed our words as conspiracy theory) when it comes to our own experience in this nation??

- and by the way, don't blame any of us for your shortcomings. You were already 'PISSED' before you came thru these doors and thought it to be for the better....!!
    I think it was one of your people who coined the phrase 'be careful what you ask for'? :bus:

5. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    "I came here wanting to learn more about black culture and history, to expunge any lingering racism I might hold within myself due to being brought up in a mostly white environment, but am leaving feeling a lot of negative feelings from my experiences here".{quote]

Usually when one takes on a true feeling of wanting to know some TRUTHS...they try walking in those shoes to gain personal experience. Since you couldn't/can't/didn't/change your color, all you COULD have done was read/listen to the trials and tribulations of and against US as a race. After experiencing a few harsh comments (ones we've had to endure all of our lives) you decide that you can't take it and feel you shouldn't have to defend yourself. Well, thats another TRUTH of our race. We're constantly defending ourselves from the wrongs others place upon our heads. I hate to see you leave, but...the saying goes...."if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I sometimes wanna leave too.

If for any reason you (or anyone) does not want to be here, does not like what's found here, etc., you should leave.

Our open door swings both ways, coming and going, so no one ever has to feel stuck here ... except me.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

7. Writeous1

Writeous1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +202
    I don't blame you for wanting to leave. I read the replies to your post (http://www.destee.com/index.php?thr...ia-infiltration-of-black-organizations.68871/), and it was like an all out attack, with you having to play the role of "white America" ("you white people").

Don't take the replies you received as the viewpoint of everyone on this site, or all blacks. You should stay and stick it out.

Everyone should really go to that thread and read it. It wasn't "challenge the new person," it was something else. Please pay close attention to oldschool's reply (reply #4). Do you see a difference between his reply and others?

FYI: The only side I ever take is the truth. If I believed she was in the wrong, I would have said it.
    And yes, I do know the enemies I'll make because of this reply, and the way I'll be looked at.

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Well said butterfly#1, very well said indeed.

Peace In,

9. Dre Money

Dre Money Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +143
    Awww. I have lots of mixed people on my site and plenty of white girls like Sophia. One day in our tinychat I was talking bout how white girls be acting snobby etc. Turns out I offended the white girls who were in the chat room. Those white girls are from different countries and don't really have racism or experience it so they had no idea where I was coming from. I basically sounded like the racist from their point-of-view. Forreal though, some people are sensitive and don't understand where we're coming from so when us Blacks talk about other races we end up damaging our own reputation. Word up though I ain't gonna apologize tho I was just keeping it real but I know in the future to choose my words more carefully.

10. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.