Black People Politics : I'm doing the best I can for blacks, President Obama says

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by panafrica, Mar 7, 2010.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    President Obama rejected criticism yesterday that he isn't doing enough to help black Americans.

"Is there grumbling?" Obama said. "Of course, there's grumbling, because we just went through the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression."

Interviewed by American Urban Radio Networks, Obama got defensive when asked to react to actor/activist Danny Glover's complaint that he is failing blacks.

"If you want me to line up all the black actors, for example, who support me and put them on one side of the room and a couple who are grumbling on the other, I'm happy to have that," Obama said.

Several black legislators say Obama must do more for recession-stricken minorities.

Some 15.6% of blacks nationwide are out of work, compared with the overall 10% unemployment rate.

"The only thing I cannot do is, by law, I cannot pass laws that say 'I'm just helping black folks.' I'm the President of the entire United States," Obama said. "What I can do is make sure that I am passing laws that help all people, particularly those who are most vulnerable and most in need."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol..._i_can_for_blacks_bam_says.html#ixzz0hUwl4UkG

2. bientempo

bientempo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
  3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    we are here

1 The bailouts leaving no money for infrastructure and the basic services that we pay our taxes for effects every Black community

2 Placeing an idiot that said dumping toxic waste in Africa would be colas well as planing the destruction of jobs, savings and honest mortgages in the Black community by destroying Glass Steagall, and implementing GAAT and NAFTA, at the helm of the nations economic control, did not help, but actually hurt the Black community globally

3 AFRICOM; will basically recolonize Africa for the benefit of the funders o global White Supremacy

4 Not making the importation of hard drugs like cocaine and heroin powders, or liquid solutions into the nation a National Security ish, the way Kennedy did,
    seriously effects the Black flight of business and middle class Blacks from the Black communities leaving only the working class and poor to deal with drug gangs as the police enjoy payoffs and fat envelopes

4 A Health bill that glorifies the neocon dream by putting the devilish HMOs on a pedestal and puts a gun to every Black persons head and says they must serve this new master or else, as well as reject a public option.

5 an energy plan that say that coal is clean and nukes are cool after 40 years of reseach that validates that the gov and industry have a hsbit of dumping toxic wastes adjacent to Black rural communities

6 a education plan that gives the neocons pleasure by returning Jim Crow to schools via defacto privatization, and separate, but darn sure unequal education,
    as well as giving the pentagon accesss to the school records of innercity children, a ploy that even Hitler did not think of

When any appointments, policy or legislature hurts the majority of American citizens,
    we as Africans in this Wilderness are dispraportionately effected and even more so with this economic Katrina on the horizon

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    they passed laws that just helped white folk. they passed law that just helped Japanese folk.

5. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    You know, if Pres. Obama were to record that song, he'd make a nice bit of change.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

Danny Glover’s attempt to become another Paul Robeson is admirable, but to admit that President Barack Obama has the hardest job on earth, and then criticize him for not doing enough for blacks is somewhat disingenuous. To say that it’s good we are now having the Black Church’s radical approach to truth in the national dialogue because of Obama and Rev. Wright, but then call Wright an idiot, is somewhat disingenuous. And finally, to have endorsed John Edwards, until the scandal broke, and then switch to Barack Obama as the lesser of the evils, is to, at least to me, somewhat disingenuous.

Elliot Millner, legal adviser of the Your Black World Coalition, had a take on the situation, arguing that both men may be correct in their approaches. "This is a fair criticism, for a couple of reasons: Despite the conservative media's protests to the contrary, Obama ran as a moderate, and that is basically what he is on most issues (if you don't think so, compare Obama's campaign platform to that of Dennis Kucinich or John Edwards). Former President Bush, although a Republican, was also considered a moderate (too moderate for many Republicans) on many issues. So it is no surprise that President Obama may look similar to President Bush in his views and actions on some issues (most obviously in his war policy)."
    http://www.bvblackspin.com/2010/01/04/danny-glover-barack-obama/

[​IMG]

“But this doesn’t always turn on a race-based analysis,” Jackson cautioned. “It doesn’t always have to be a function of animus” of one African American for another.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-...has-obama-abandoned-blacks/?cid=hp:mainpromo2

Suppose a white actor, activist, were to passionately petition and criticize a white president for not doing enough to help the "white community." How then would this be digested and regurgitated by the liberal media?
    Also, there can be little doubt as to the swift and vindictive response of Sharpton, Jackson, and the others who perpetuate "legacy of victimhood" status amongst the African-American race, which they claim to champion.

http://www.examiner.com/x-16146-Wil...Glover-vs-Barack-Obama-more-race-and-politics

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I agree brother Clyde .

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

Thank you much Bro. $$RICH$$, for real!

9. Black Squared

Black Squared Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +177
    If black people can't see that Obama making blatant moves specifically for black people would destroy his presidency they are both blind and in denial.

10. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812

He never made or implied such promises.