Black People : I'M CONFUSED.....

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by KWABENA, Apr 12, 2005.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    DELETED BY AUTHOR

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Brother Cedric,

It is called coercion. There is no commandment to pay tithes outside of the Mosaic law. The Apostle Paul tells us not once but five times that we are not undeer the law. It was the Ecclesiasticals of Charlemaign that introduced a mandatory tithe in the Church in the late eighth century. That's why it is so deep in Church tradition now and some pastors probably believe they are teaching the word of God when they bludgeon their congregations over the head with the third chapter of Malichi every blessed week, but the bible says they are tempting God.

Acts 15:10
    "Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? "

If you are being taken on guilt trips and fear trips and "God is going to bless you" trips then you could probably find some more worthy cause for your alms. There is definitely a principle of giving and it is more blessed to give than to receive but where God guides He provides. If He is providing then such coercion is not necessary.

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I appreciate that River.

CD

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
  5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Thank you Sistah Destee - once again doing one of the many good things that you do.

CD

6. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    Its so important that Christians/Muslims get correct teaching. Wars have been fought because people misunderstood things. This is just something that so many Pastors/Ministers have misunderstood. The bible doesnt say that not tithing wont keep you from heaven.

The problem here is that churches need money to stay in operation. Many will shut down without the tithes that support them. Tithes are for the up keeping of the storehouse (church). Just like in anything you have some that take advantage of their postion and misuse it. Pastors/Ministers need not try to get rich off the congregation, but they should live a modest life.

In my ministry the money the church gives me I put most of it back into the church because I believe as a minister I should be the first to give. After all a Pastor/Minister is liscened or ordained to serve the congregation that he/she represents.

:spinstar:Soulja:spinstar:

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    If more preachers believed this, and conducted themselves in this manner....the Christian Church would not have the reputation for exploitation that it currently does. Much respect to you brother Godssoulja!

8. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey Destee,

That other thread trotted out some of the same old tired arguments for mandatory tithes in the Church. I like what you said about there being a less comfortable place in Heaven for people who don' t tithe.

I've never understood how pastors can concede that we are not under the law but still insist that we are being disobedient when we don't pay tithes. How can you disobey a law that you are not under. I live in Texas. Can I be arrested for disobeying the laws of Idaho? And no one has ever explained to me how that of the 617 laws in the Mosaic law tithing is the only one we still have to obey.

Notice that while Jesus encouraged the pharisees to obey the law which they were under we never see Him paying tithes. If our blessings are as dependant on paying tithes as preachers tell us then it's strange that all the New Testament writers are so utterly silent about it. Look like there would be a commandment or at least a suggestion and an example of believers paying tithes if it is so important.

You not only have to know what the Bible says you havae to know who it is saying it to. They tell us what the Bible says to the jews but this is what it says to the Church

2 Cor 9:7
    "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver."

I've been to fifty million different Churches and I have never heard any preacher quote the first part of that verse. It's always "God loves a cheerful giver" as if guilt and fear are conducive to cheer.

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    So tell me.....

If I only had $2 to get back and forth from the Bank to the room, and I did not have anything else but my only $2 in my pocket, Am I wrong for not giving any of my $2 to the church?

CD

10. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Your last two dollars? One for your bus fare the other for the juke box. Naw man don't lose your last two dollars.

I'ma find the scriptute but somewhere Jesus said "Woe unto those who give to the rich."

The Bible also tells us to give from what we have not what we don't have. I get passionate when ministers tell people to pay their tithes before their bills and then the people go into debt because they have to take out loans to pay their bills. That's disgusting.