Black Spirituality Religion : I'm confused and troubled by Farrakhan Video

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Enki, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Below is a video that was shared in another thread. I would be lying if I said that I'm not bothered or confused by it. For a long time I been somewhat of a fan of Farrakhan,in spite of disagreeing with some of his views and comments. But lately he has been showing signs of "cracking"(for lack of a better word). He kicked a member out of the nation for saying, and making the same comments he has made. During an special interview on him,he said that he was not going to fall in that trap of bashing Obama but he does anyway. Then you have this video below,bashing the black American for wanting to have a connection to a place most of us consider to be the motherland. So I'm a bit confused and feel a bit lost.

From what I gather,he wants blacks to follow his way and be Muslim. He said we've been a white man's fool,now we are a black man's fool for wanting to wear our hair natural.Well I've seen a few stores that are operated by members of the nation and they sell hip-hop,bootleg movies,and black haircare products for natural hairstyles.

Now I know I've heard him preach brotherhood and how we should connect with out brothers and sisters in Africa,but here,in this video,he clearly says that the "African does not respect you". If this is the case,why are you preaching brotherhood? To me,he's being hypocritical because he and others slammed MLK for loving a people that despised and hated us. So what are your views on this video?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    it is what it is. i am not a fan of farrakhan. he is an arab to me.

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I haven't seen the video in question, but i have heard him say these things in speeches in person. IMHO, what he is referring to is a 'mind state' when it comes to wearing your hair natural and he, at least at that time was referring to the brothers with the HUGE afro's, as it was called THE NATURAL. The most honorable Elijah muhammad taught him that the fro made us look like clowns and bafoons and gave us an unworthy apperance, if you will. Appearance (grooming), to a muslim is VERY important in the Nation as taught by Master Fard thru the most honorable elijah muhammed.

On the statements that "afrikans don't respect you", that statement was and is in attempt to get us to do for self and stop begging the white man for things you can do for yourself!

He is a muslim, so as religion goes, everyone thinks their religion is the way and in Islam they are taught the Muhammad is the last prophet and even spoken of by 'jesus' in the bible as the 'COMFORTER'.....'IF I GO NOT AWAY, THE COMFORTER CAN NOT COME'. So it would only be natural for him to want us all to be muslims and study, or follow the qu'ran. the only time i ever heard him say, or at least the first time i ever heard him say 'you don't have to join the nation of islam, but join some church or group that's making a difference' was at the million man march! Before that, i had never heard those words leave his mouth..... not saying he never said it, but i had never heard it!

Also, if i'm not mistaken this is a speech from some time ago, like a couple of decades. I will try and check it out later to continue my response.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    that is why IMO the NOI is for arabs and not for black people.......

5. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
  6. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    Our hair grows out as a 9-ether swirl -- just as the universe moves in an orbital swirl. I fail to see the scholarship in this video. The hair crown is to be worn whateva way one wishes. The important fact is "it is more important what transpires between the ears in the area known as "gray" matter.

Dr. Epp/Suzar provides a more divine/logical explanation for our crown of glory.
    click here

1Love
    Fine1952

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Because he spoke against the afro and keeping yourself well groomed?

How do you figure that? Most arabs i know have full beards and are quite sloppy in appearance, imho. Most of them also smoke and don't care much about the aroma they travel with. The brothers and sisters in the Nation are the exact opposite and have a glow about them because the inside must match that from without!

I doubt if you can honestly tell me that in philly there's a group other than the nation of islam doing more to uplift black people.

Again, i could be wrong but it just sounds like you don't like Muslims, period!

8. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I'm not questioning you brutha,I'm questioning him. This speech of his surprised me.

9. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I agree, but the teaching at that time, imho was to raise us from a dead level to a living perpendicular mentally. El Hajj taught the same thing as a minister in the nation. All of the nation of islam's ministers taught it, some still do which is why you don't see any muslims with afro's or much more than a caesar or a fade.

It's what they were taught in an attempt to 'straighten them up'.... Not so much to be disrespectfull the 9 ether we are blessed with. What we have to remember is that they were dealing with ex drug dealers, murderers, whinos and junkies. So being extreme in grooming is something they thought neccessary.

10. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Thank you for the insight brutha,I just took offense to his statements that seemed to put down the blacks here in America. If blacks want to wear a fro or cornrows,that should be their right,and they shouldn't be discounted because of it. Also,I know he was doing some exaggerating because I yet to see or hear of a black putting a bone in their nose as a way of connecting to Africa. Can you watch the video and tell me if you agree with what he says. Because you heard him say some things in a speech,but you didn't hear this speech.

Peace!