Black Travel : "I'm Black and I Travel!" is...

The first time I travelled was to England. My husband had been teaching there and I took my two sons who were seven and five at the time. Travelling opens your mind, it helps you see the world from a different perspective. I also visited New Jersey and Florida.
I love travelling not necessarily on a plane though. For those who have never traveled they are missing a lot.

I have preferred to travel to first nations and cultures. Perhaps because I was born in P.R. and grew up in NYC. I have always wanted to know what other non-western culture were like. The whole Euro-man thing was/is still is a turn off. I wanted to know how much older cultures lived and how they thought of life? I knew that western ways where not very wholesome, but very destructive by design (at lease I so suspect it, back then).

While in elementary school, I would stare at the world map always wondering what the rest of the world would be like. I would run across pictures from different places and think about what people ate and what customs and music they practiced. I was also more interested in Nature as appose to the cities. Since I grew up in what many think is the greatest city, I figured I would not spend much time in them.

I was drafted and served in Combat in southern Viet-Nam. Some times while in the jungle or rubber plantations I would have moments of shear enlightenment in the midst of these new surroundings. Differing smells of fauna and the sounds of peculiar insects have a way of altering one’s perceptions, as well as enriching the spirit. Like when one taste some thing new, and is delighted by it’s newness and flavor. These things had created a hunger within me for more. I wanted to explore the whole of this incredible earth. The sensations of winds striking one’s skin at high speeds during a typhoon. The energy felt at high elevations while climbing mountains in both the Himalayas and the Andes‘ during a coming storm.

One of the things I fine most striking, are how people of native environments (out in the sticks), are so calm and at peace with themselves. I did not see all the crazy behavior one sees in western counties (including Latino America). So if you take the chance to travel, I hope your adventures are great. One need not leave this nation. Look into camping in national parks enter the wilderness areas away from the other campers. And relish those moments with the wild……Corvo

I have preferred to travel to first nations and cultures. Perhaps because I was born in P.R. and grew up in NYC. I have always wanted to know what other non-western culture were like. The whole Euro-man thing was/is still is a turn off. I wanted to know how much older cultures lived and how they thought of life? I knew that western ways where not very wholesome, but very destructive by design (at lease I so suspect it, back then).

While in elementary school, I would stare at the world map always wondering what the rest of the world would be like. I would run across pictures from different places and think about what people ate and what customs and music they practiced. I was also more interested in Nature as appose to the cities. Since I grew up in what many think is the greatest city, I figured I would not spend much time in them.

I was drafted and served in Combat in southern Viet-Nam. Some times while in the jungle or rubber plantations I would have moments of shear enlightenment in the midst of these new surroundings. Differing smells of fauna and the sounds of peculiar insects have a way of altering one’s perceptions, as well as enriching the spirit. Like when one taste some thing new, and is delighted by it’s newness and flavor. These things had created a hunger within me for more. I wanted to explore the whole of this incredible earth. The sensations of winds striking one’s skin at high speeds during a typhoon. The energy felt at high elevations while climbing mountains in both the Himalayas and the Andes‘ during a coming storm.

One of the things I fine most striking, are how people of native environments (out in the sticks), are so calm and at peace with themselves. I did not see all the crazy behavior one sees in western counties (including Latino America). So if you take the chance to travel, I hope your adventures are great. One need not leave this nation. Look into camping in national parks enter the wilderness areas away from the other campers. And relish those moments with the wild……Corvo

I hope one of these days you can visit Barbados. My father's uncle had emigrated to South Africa many years ago. I am not sure where in South Africa and I am not sure about his family since there was no contact with him. I heard he became blind. Would be wonderful to know his children and their children if they were any. I would love to visit Africa.. Ghana and Nigeria would be the first ones I would like to see. I met one of our nurses at our local clinic and she told me she was born in Namibia. She is married to a man from one of the other Caribbean islands. There are students and a few engineers who work here who are from Nigeria.
One of the former Nigerian presidents Gowon and his wife visited Barbados years ago. When I visited Florida I met a woman who was born in Panama and she was married to an African American man. She told me her father was born in Barbados. Travel can bring you in contact with so many different people. As a little girl we had pictures of the Queen, Princess Anne and Prince Charles in elementary school. Most of our books were about England and I never dreamed that one day I would see that country. Travel opens up a whole new world for us.

If you are in America, consider just making vacations at home.

Colonial Williamsburg is an excellent place to visit if you are of the "pro" mindset. There you will see what our ancestors went through.

We paid $700 for everything... hotel and food.

If you go on a cheap vacation, you will have to plan ahead on your expenses. But you will still enjoy yourself.

I'm based in holland and suriname. Now i'm promoting my own museum: Suriname blue blood is black blood museum in the hague. Want to have a main branche in suriname.

see my therads here and in google.
blue bloodisblackblood.blogspot.com

I hope one of these days you can visit Barbados. My father's uncle had emigrated to South Africa many years ago. I am not sure where in South Africa and I am not sure about his family since there was no contact with him. I heard he became blind. Would be wonderful to know his children and their children if they were any. I would love to visit Africa.. Ghana and Nigeria would be the first ones I would like to see. I met one of our nurses at our local clinic and she told me she was born in Namibia. She is married to a man from one of the other Caribbean islands. There are students and a few engineers who work here who are from Nigeria.
One of the former Nigerian presidents Gowon and his wife visited Barbados years ago. When I visited Florida I met a woman who was born in Panama and she was married to an African American man. She told me her father was born in Barbados. Travel can bring you in contact with so many different people. As a little girl we had pictures of the Queen, Princess Anne and Prince Charles in elementary school. Most of our books were about England and I never dreamed that one day I would see that country. Travel opens up a whole new world for us.

There is a lot of cosmopolitanism among Blacks. Africans are staying now in Suriname too. I hope my research shows this cosmopolitanism. I do not like the idea that as a Black person one is limited to reading certain books, or researching only certain subjects, while the white girls and boys research anything they please.

In Versailles I encountered sever racism among the trash that visits these places. They are all white and just look at me as if I were a pick pocket thief. I bumbed into a lady and she ran away to the other side, for all to see. And they ask stupid questions. Out in the street once a Japanese lady and her white husband made a great show of me passing by. We were in the same metro, and got out at the same stop, where I wanted to visit another museum. She looked and assumed I was following them, so she emphatically took her family aside, so I could pass them by. Wanted to spit in her face.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back