Black Travel : "I'm Black and I Travel!" is...

Discussion in 'Black Travel' started by galan05, Oct 7, 2009.

1. galan05

galan05 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    1) A statement of fact.

2) A state of mind.

3) The name of a blog dedicated to travel and encouraging people of color to see more of their world, and bringing together black organizations dedicated to travel.

4) ALL OF THE ABOVE.

Peruse at your leisure. Offer your comments, suggestions, encouragement, criticisms, ideas for topics.

Cost: Not a dime.

Potential benefits: PRICELESS.

Being a newbie, I can't post links here yet, but no worries. Just Google the title -- "I'm Black and I Travel!" -- to find the blog. Visitors always welcome.

See you "out there!"

g.

2. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    This is a great idea!

I once met a young black woman in Natchez, MS, who proudly proclaimed that she’d never once left town and never would. This, to a man whose most prized possession is an expired passport with visa stamps from 15 countries. That fact has prompted some people of color to wonder if I’m actually white.

To them, I owe the title of this blog.

Some of “us” seem to feel that if you’re black, you’re supposed to stay within your own little cultural box, curiosity fettered, mind shackled, eyes wide shut.

I refuse.

Travel opens your eyes, broadens your mind. It inspires and it humbles. You return knowing your world, and yourself, a little better. So we’ll be talking here about travel — tips, ideas, memories of the road. Maybe you’ll be inspired to “get out there.”

I hope so, because it’s your world — and as my friend Shay Olivarria says, “the world is bigger than your block.”

Hi,
    I used to travel alot. Mostly Asia and south America. It's always a great idea to travel out-side the world we know. I think it is very important to see and feel, smell other realities we've not experienced before. it expands our minds and it enriches our spirits. Travel is even better then school. I have many tales. I will write some of them up on here . Thanks for the idea.

3. galan05

galan05 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Corvo--

Thanks for the kind words. I agree wholeheartedly about the value of travel! Please consider sharing some of your experiences, both here and on the blog as a guest columnist.

Meanwhile, I'm pulling together all the black travel groups, organizations and businesses I can find and giving them a central location on the blog for readers to check out if they wish. You'll find them on the Black Travel Sites page on the blog. If you know of groups that should be listed there that aren't on the list, please let me know.

.g

4. middleTrat

middleTrat Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I like traveling but finances are tight these days and i prefer to save for my future and family.

But one day maybe in a few years i hope to travel all over the world and do some awesome stuff.

5. ghostchild

ghostchild New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I've been all over the world, or at least half of it, and most parts of this country...

And most people could careless what color you are...what they look at is your attitude...

6. Tha 144000

Tha 144000 Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    I definitely fit into this post.
    It's funny how our people don't travel as much now. In the past we were the "worldly" cosmopolitan people. When you actually get out and see the world you'll see a lot of darker complexion people.
    This truly is our planet.

I can't post links yet either but check out my blog by searching for "Learn Moor About Bahia" or type www mooraboutbahia blogspot com with the periods and no spaces

7. galan05

galan05 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    That is indeed true in most place and for most people, the key word there being "most." Still, more often than not, the attitude you get from others outside of our comfort zones will usually be your own attitude being reflected back to you.

.g

8. Egmond Codfried

Egmond Codfried Banned MEMBER

Morocco
    Ratings:
    +34
    To travel, to really be able to explore you need to save money.
    In fact, if the trip costs € 2000, you need to have a reserve of
    € 2000 for an emergency, so you can return home or something.
    Otherwise family and friends need to bail you out.
    But you need not make big trips and go very far.
    It also helps if you visit 'poor' countries where everything will be mighty cheap. Or go budget as I do, staying in cheap hotels, eating with the common folks. I'm aching to go back to Turkey or Morocco,
    I have visited and travelled those countries many times.
    Speaking French and Turkish helps a great deal.
    Preparing by reading books, so you understand what you see.
    I have some rugs to remind me. But I often prepare Turkish or Moroccan dishes to relive.

Yet I rarely meet these sophisticated Blacks who travel.

Egmond Codfried
    The Netherlands

9. Thelma Jackson-Smith

Thelma Jackson-Smith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +161
    If you are in America, consider just making vacations at home.

Colonial Williamsburg is an excellent place to visit if you are of the "pro" mindset. There you will see what our ancestors went through.

We paid $700 for everything... hotel and food.

If you go on a cheap vacation, you will have to plan ahead on your expenses. But you will still enjoy yourself.

10. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

The first time I travelled was to England. My husband had been teaching there and I took my two sons who were seven and five at the time. Travelling opens your mind, it helps you see the world from a different perspective. I also visited New Jersey and Florida.
    I love travelling not necessarily on a plane though. For those who have never traveled they are missing a lot.