Black People : Im Back!!!!!!

Gandhi -

From what I've read about him he was a rabid racist who wrote several news paper articles to that effect and supported apartheid, gunga din in the flesh.

And the only reason he went on his hunger strikes was to protest 'upper caste' [lighter skinned] hindu indians being treated in the same way as black South Africans, or as he put put it, Kaffirs.

Taken from an article here: http://www.cwo.com/~lucumi/runoko.html

In the Indian Opinion of September 4, 1904, Gandhi wrote: "Under my suggestion, the Town Council (of Johannesburg) must withdraw the Kaffirs from the Location. About this mixing of the Kaffirs with the Indians I must confess I feel most strongly. It think it is very unfair to the Indian population, and it is an undue tax on even the proverbial patience of my countrymen."

Peace: :flamet: Gandhi's good name.

With MUCH due respect to Brother Rashidi (whom I consider a friend), I've never heard this allegation from anyone but Dr. Rashidi. Now I do trust Brother Rashidi's scholarship and know for a fact that he is well read, well researched and well travelled. But I would have to do my own further research into this particular allegation to accept it without question. I thank you for the link (haven't checked that article yet).

Dr Rashidi never wrote the article, Dr Velu Annamalai did.

The article can be found here, to save you having to wade through all the very informative articles contained on the Dr Rashidi's site:

http://www.africanbynature.com/eyes/openeyes_mythofgandhi.html

Here's another article from the British newspaper, TheGuardian, concerning an argument in South Africa over a statue erected in Johannesburg, SA, in honour of Gandhi for his alledged anti-apartheid stance.

"Many of the native prisoners are only one degree removed from the animal and often created rows and fought among themselves."

To be found here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/india/story/0,12559,1065019,00.html

Here's a quote from an extensive and detailed look at Gandhi:

To understand Gandhi's role towards the blacks, one requires a knowledge of Hinduism. Within the constraints, a few words on Hinduism will suffice: The caste is the bedrock of Hinduism. The Hindu term for caste is varna; which means arranging the society on a four-level hierarchy based on the skin color: The darker-skinned relegated to the lowest level, the lighter-skinned to the top three levels of the apartheid scale called the Caste System. The race factor underlies the intricate workings of Hinduism, not to mention the countless evil practices embedded within. Have no doubt, Gandhi loved the Caste system.

To be found here: http://www.dalitstan.org/books/gandhi/gandhi1.html

Peace and health....

I do thank you for that information, and will check out the articles. I am very much aware about the Indian Caste System, which has the so-called "Untouchables", or Dalits at the bottom, a system still in existence today, however, I am less informed about Mohandas K. Gandhi's position on or involvement in that system. I think I've taken for granted that he (during his lifetime) would not have been in support of such oppression.

As an aside, Runoko Rashidi has arranged and presented some of the most brilliant and powerful presentations I've ever seen, dealing with the Afrikan presence in various parts of the world, including Asia and Australia. His presentation on the Australian Aboriginees is particularly fascinating, as well as the Tasmanians and Dalits. I did not intend at all to suggest that if he wrote the article, it was questionable. I simply like to get such unheard of information from a variety of sources, if it is not posed as a theory. But trust me, I would not discount findings presented by such a brilliant and diligent scholar as Brother Rashidi. I've learned a great deal of what I know about Afrikan History and the Diaspora from him.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back