Black Sports : Ike Quartey Robbed?

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by kemetkind, Aug 8, 2006.

1. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Anyone see the Quartey - Forrest fight?

I was pulling for Forrest...I don't know exactly why but I can't stand Ike...he seems a real arrogant dude. I hate to be stereotyping and all but he acts more like Nigerians I've met than Ghanaian. But still...how 3 judges came up with those scores I have no idea...

2. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yop. He was robbed. I was also pulling for Forrest (ATL Home Boy). But he just came no where close to pulling it off.
    I agree that Lampley's theory regarding U.S. loss to Ghana in Soccer is the only explanation that makes any sense (however nominal).
    Regardless, politics ruins everything. I miss the sports of the 80's. All of them were better and more pure by bounds imo.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Personally I like both fighters and have followed them for many years (particularly Forrest), so I wasn't cheering for either one. That being said, this was the worst decision I've seen in some time! Ike dominated the fight, and when you consider that Forrest had a point deducted from him, there is no way all three judges could have scored that fight for Forrest. Forrest got a gift, and he knows it.

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Here is ESPN boxing columnist Dan Rafael's opinion on the fight:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=2542016

5. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    After the fight I called the cops to report that robbery......man even my 11 year old son who isn't really into boxing in a technical sense heard the decision and said..."no way....that has to be a mistake" .....it's a shame too ....that was a good fight to be ruined by bad judges......and yeah even after losing a point..ok.......and Vernon's shoulder still ain't right .......his jab has no snap at all .....the Ouma fight was good.....actually every fight I saw last week leading up to the weekend fights were good......I saw Mabuza get beat again, saw Jerson Ravelo just crush some dude, saw a good young prospect .....Seifrot man the 80's is now.....I'm telling yall man boxing is on an upswing right now....there are so many good fighters out there and I'm seeing a lot of prospects that are going to make some noise in the coming years ......I'm loving it.......to me this is just like the days of Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, and such......I'm not a big Quartey guy (because I still don't think he has heart and is way too arrogant) but he got did bad in that fight.........

MississippiRed

6. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I agree...Ike was ROBBED.

I think they need to put a camera behind the judges to see if they're seeing the same fight we're looking at. Because, Ike got ROBBED. The Brotha got beat down and then ROBBED. It's a **** shame. smh

Ouma is no joke. He takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. He took some great shots from Sechow (?). But, in the end, Ouma came on stronger as Sechow faded. I thought Ouma was gonna knock out Sechow for a minute there. :lol:

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I couldn't agree with you more Red, it is a good time to be a boxing fan. The only thing missing is brothers controlling the heavyweight division!