Black Authors : Iiiinteresting: Attitudes towards Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

twashing

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 17, 2004
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is a new Nigerian author that's getting a lot of press for her first novel. Recently she's been touring to promote her new novel "Half Of A Yellow Sun". She's been received very well critically, but there are many condescending pundits including one who "marvels at the fact she came all the way to London, from the "crime hell" of Lagos, where she has never had any problems with crime, only to get her bag stolen at a reading". This is what Jennifer Brea points out over at Africabeat. It's an interesting post that kinda lets you see in real time, the kind of alienation and invisibility Western culture assigns an African dialectic.

I thought it as pretty interesting.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on the West's representation of Africa

Hey no problem. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through "Half of a Yellow Sun". It's good. About a young boy, Ugwu, who's the house servant for a Nigerian (or Biafran, depending on what point you are in the book) Professor and his lover/wife and their child. The story's not so much about the Nigerian civil war. It just uses it as a backdrop to let the lives of these characters unfold.

It's not the best book I've read, but Ngozi has a good writing style and touches on a lot of interesting subjects. I would recommend it especially if you're interested in Nigerian culture and politics.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back