Black Relationships : Ignoring a loved-ones relationship

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by kente417mojo, Aug 19, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    A relative of mine just got married and it was a little tense. She married someone of another religion (no religion) and some of the family didn't want to attend the wedding because they really didn't know him that well and he wasn't really into religion like they would want him to be.

My question. If someone in your family was dating or married to a person of another religion, race or social standing or maybe you disagree with their occupation...is it your duty as a loved one to support them and have their back? Would you not attend their wedding because of something like this? What would you do to try and express your feeling toward the situation? Or do you agree that not showing where they are present is a good way to show your disapproval of their relationship?

2. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    I feel it is your duty first and foremost to protect you relative or sybling....if they are involved with someone who will truely bring harm to them in any way, then you should intervene.....but if it has to do with your preferences (race, religion, cash flow, "class" whatever), then you should follow the old saying:

"If you aint got nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all" (not an exact quote.... LOL )

One should mind their business when it comes to preferences and only step up in a serious situation IMO.

Good thread!! In todays world people should think critically about this stuff early on as their kids and relatives are more likely than ever to mix it up with "different" people.

3. jazzymoonchild

jazzymoonchild Well-Known Member MEMBER

administrative
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would try to support my relative, however, I wouldn't be fake about the situation. I agree that if there is a serious situation, maybe I would try to say something to them, (my relative) in a sensitive and tactful way.

I'm not going to participate or attend religious ceremonies that I don't feel comfortable with though.

4. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    Acting fake is a no-no as well. If I had a problem but knew it was not life or death, I would most likely just let it be....if the relative in question asked me I would be honest how I feel and let them know that they should just do their thing cause they aint me.