Law Forum : Ignorance of the Law Does Not Excuse

Maintain your passion and forward push my friend. I have similar emotions:

Exactly! The only disagreement I have I guess would probably mirror what cherryblossom said in that post. The reason why I think it is best to not represent yourself is because it limits you on appeal. If a person represents themselves pro se, they cant appeal based on inadequate representation. I do understand that legal representation can be at a ridiculous cost, but more times than not it will be worth it. There are groups who have a passion to represent people and do not worry about the cost. Do be wary of some because some of these people just want to gain experience, if they are young, and do not have the passion for justice as they should in cases where people cant pay for the costly legal services. I would go for minorities who are attorneys in these programs, and attorneys who have years of experience and still participate. I agree with you. I think we need to teach our people the laws around us. Also, we need to put legal education in our schools, especially our HBCUs.

Exactly! The only disagreement I have I guess would probably mirror what cherryblossom said in that post. The reason why I think it is best to not represent yourself is because it limits you on appeal. If a person represents themselves pro se, they cant appeal based on inadequate representation. I do understand that legal representation can be at a ridiculous cost, but more times than not it will be worth it. There are groups who have a passion to represent people and do not worry about the cost. Do be wary of some because some of these people just want to gain experience, if they are young, and do not have the passion for justice as they should in cases where people cant pay for the costly legal services. I would go for minorities who are attorneys in these programs, and attorneys who have years of experience and still participate. I agree with you. I think we need to teach our people the laws around us. Also, we need to put legal education in our schools, especially our HBCUs.

Understood, and we touch and agree. It is not advisable for one to represent themselves unless they are Board certified. But at least by learning law, as you say, we are apt to be able to discern bad representation, at the least.

Pro bono representation should be scrutinized, and would be better served by our digestion and understanding of law ...

Last edited:
Understood, and we touch and agree. It is not advisable for one to represent themselves unless they are Board certified. But at least by learning law, as you say, we are apt to be able to discern bad representation, at the least.

Pro bono representation should be scrutinized, and would be better served by our digestion and understanding of law ...

True. I think we should know the law in order to guide our actions, know our rights, know what to do when those rights are violated, and to prevent us from being taken advantage of. I agree with candeesweet. When we are taken advantage of by the government, police, etc., it tends to make us hate the system.

True. I think we should know the law in order to guide our actions, know our rights, know what to do when those rights are violated, and to prevent us from being taken advantage of. I agree with candeesweet. When we are taken advantage of by the government, police, etc., it tends to make us hate the system.

Exactly ...

Last edited:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back