Law Forum : Ignorance of the Law Does Not Excuse

W.E.B. DuBois

http://www.duboislc.org/html/DuBoisBio.html

[FONT="Comic Sans MS]"By the God of Heaven, we are cowards and jackasses if now that the war is over, we do not marshal every ounce of our brain and brawn to fight the forces of hell in our own land.

We return.
We return from fighting.
We return fighting!
Make way for Democracy! We saved it in France, and by the great Jehovah, we will save it in the United Stated of America, or know the reason why."

Shortly after the Armistice was signed, DuBois, sailed for France in 1919 to represent the NAACP as an observer at the Peace Conference. While there he decided it was an opportune time to organize a Pan-African conference to bring attention to the problems of Africans around the world. While this was not the first Pan-African Congress (the first one was held in 1900), he had long been interested in the movement.

While the concept was lauded by a few revolutionaries, it failed because of lack of interest by the more influential Black organizations.

DuBois realized that for Africans could be free anywhere, they must be free everywhere. He therefore decided to hold another Pan-African meeting in 1921. While this one was better organized, he was dealt double trouble. First, following the war, "a political and social revolution, economic upheaval and depression, national and racial hatred made a setting in which any such movement was entirely out of the Question." More importantly, however, was the encounter with the astonishing Marcus Garvey.[/FONT]

I have respect for the differences these three men had. I studied them all and love them all.

Despite their differences. The crab in a barrel, fight to be on TV today is no different than what they experienced against each other.

Neither one were wrong ...just not United. Like King and Malcolm.. Neither were wrong.. just not United. :bully:

If all of these men ideas were ( could be ) combined and meshed properly. Blacks would RISE.. Rise like never before in HISTORY!

http://www.duboislc.org/html/DuBoisBio.html

The Philadelphia Negro. "It revealed the Negro group as a symptom, not a cause; as a striving, palpitating group, and not an inert, sick body of crime; as a long historic development and not a transient occurrence." This was the first time such a scientific approach to studying social phenomena was undertaken, and as a consequence DuBois is acknowledged as the father of Social Science.

During this period an ideological controversy grew between DuBois and Booker T. Washington, which later grew into a bitter personal battle. Washington from 1895, when he made his famous "Atlanta Compromise" speech, to 1910 was the most powerful black man in the America.

Washington argued the Black people should temporarily forego "political power, insistence on civil rights, and higher education of Negro youth

In the early summer of 1905 Washington went to Boston to address a rally. While speaking he was verbally assaulted by William Monroe Trotter ( a Harvard college friend of DuBois). The subsequent jailing of Trotter on trumped-up charges, apparently by Washingtonites, raised the wrath of DuBois. This incident caused DuBois to solicit help from others "for organized determination and aggressive action on the part of men who believe in Negro freedom and growth. (Emphasis mine)

Twenty-nine men from fourteen states answered the call in Buffalo, New York. Five months later in January of 1906 the "Niagara Movement" was formed. So called after the cite of the meeting place–the Canadian side of Niagara falls. (They were prevented from meeting on the U.S. side.) Its objectives were to advocate civil justice and abolish caste discrimination. The downfall of the group was attributed to public accusations of fraud and deceit instigated and engineered presumably by Washington advocates, and DuBois' inexperience with organizations and the internal strain from the dynamic personality of Trotter. In 1909 all members of the Niagara Movement save one (Trotter, who despised and distrusted whites and their objectives) merged with some white liberals and thus the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) was born. DuBois was not altogether pleased with the group but agreed to stay on as Director of Publications and Research.

100 Years this Year.

The main artery for distributing NAACP policy and news concerning Blacks was the Crisis magazine, which DuBois autocratically governed as its editor-in-chief for some twenty-five years. He was of no mind to follow pedantically the Associations views, and therefore wrote only that which he felt could lift the coffin lid off his people.

His hot, raking editorials oftentimes lead to battles within the ranks of the Association. Besides this, the NAACP was, at that time, under the leadership of whites, to which DuBois objected. He always felt that Blacks should lead and that if whites were to be included at all, it should be in a supportive role. The meteoric and sustained rise in the circulation of the Crisis, making it self-supporting, tranquilized the moderates within the Association. This afforded DuBois the ability to continue his assault on the injustices heaped upon the Blacks.

World War I had dramatic affects on the lives of Black folks. Firstly, the Armed Forces refused Black inductees, but finally relinquished and put the

==========

More importantly, however, was the encounter with the astonishing Marcus Garvey.

"Unlike DuBois, Garvey was able to gain mass support and had tremendous appeal." He established the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA) for the purpose of uniting Africa and her descendants. He instituted the visionary concept of buying ships for overseas trade and travel; he issued forth uncompromising orations on race relations and inspiration ("Up you mighty people. You can accomplish what you will!"); and held pageants and parades through "Harlems" with red, black, and green liberation flags flying (The colors symbolizes the skin, the blood, and the hopes and growth potential of Black people. The green is also symbolic of the earth.). His methodology was refreshing and inspiring. And it was in direct contrast to the intellectual style of DuBois.

You are a part of a unique thinktank...

I just hope and pray you and they are being consistent...

Otherwise more forthcoming as time etc permits...

FYI...

:SuN020:

http://www.naacp.org/about/leadership/executive/jealous/index.htm

Ben Jealous, President and CEO of the NAACP

In 1997, Jealous returned to Columbia University and completed his degree in political science. With the encouragement of mentors, he applied and was accepted to Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar where he earned a master's degree in comparative social research.
Jealous eventually went on to serve as Executive Director of the National Newspaper Publishers Association (NNPA). While at the NNPA, he rebuilt its 90-year old national news service and launched a web-based initiative that more than doubled the number of black newspapers publishing online.

Most recently, Jealous was President of the Rosenberg Foundation, a private independent institution that funds civil and human rights advocacy to benefit California's working families.

Prior to that, he was Director of the U.S. Human Rights Program at Amnesty International. While there he led efforts to pass federal legislation against prison rape, rebuild public consensus against racial profiling in the wake of the September 2001 terrorist attacks, and expose the widespread sentencing of children to life without the possibility of parole.

===============
http://urbanmecca.net/news/?p=6843

Black Leader Criticizes Voting Rights Act Supreme Court Compromise
June 24, 2009

A failure by the U.S. Supreme Court to act decisively to fix an inherent problem within the Voting Rights Act is drawing the condemnation of the chairman of the Project 21 black leadership network.

As with affirmative action, the Court recognizes the unconstitutionality at issue but refuses to go the distance to make things right,” said Project 21 Chairman Mychal Massie. “The only certainty of this ruling is that the problem will continue to fester. The question to be pondered now is how many aggrieved voting districts will knuckle under to overbearing and unnecessary federal standards because the justices chose to kick the can down the road rather than actually do something about the problem.”

In its ruling in the case of Northwest Austin Municipal Utility District Number One v. Holder, all of the justices agreed that the “preclearance” provisions of Section 5 the Voting Rights Act – which still requires nine states and many other counties and localities to clear all electoral changes with the U.S. Department of Justice – are outdated. The decision sends the case back to the district court with the instructions that representatives of this particular voting district can apply to seek relief.

==========
The NAACP and the Lawyers, Black Lawyers all over the United States have created this quasi-law that composes the 1965 Voting Rights Act.

The NAACP has been a ( totally the problem ) problem after W.E.B. Dubois died. He helped found this organization.

http://www.who2.com/ask/webdubois.html

W. E. B. Du Bois Biography
Writer / Social Reformer
Name at birth: William Edward Burghardt DuBois

Scholar and political activist W.E.B. Du Bois helped found the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). DuBois attended Harvard University and in 1895 became the first African-American to receive a doctorate from the school. He became a university professor, a prolific writer and a pioneering social scientist on the topic of black culture. DuBois particularly disagreed with black leaders such as Booker T. Washington who urged integration into white society; Du Bois championed global African unity and (especially in later years) separatism. He distilled his views in his famous 1903 book The Souls of Black Folk.

The 1965 Voting Rights Act. This law is a Quasi Contract.

http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/q083.htm

QUASI-CONTRACT - A term used in the civil law. A quasi-contract is the act of a person, permitted by law, by which he obligates himself towards another, or by which another binds himself to him, without any agreement between them.

Because it is not a solid law.

If it was not one in 1965. It was not one in 2006 when Bush and Congress did not have to vote and grant Section 5 another 25 years.

The White man will take thie right to vote away from Blacks again.
We had the right to vote in 1865

We had it taken again in the early part of the last century... early 1900's

We secured it in a quasi fashion again in 1965 and it will be taken again as soon as the baby bomers and civil rights generation dies off.

If it was a law then the Supreme Court would have had to recently vote on Section 5

This law is subject to and mimics a law.

Tell me this. An immigrant gains the right to vote. After taking a simple test.
There is no threat to them... ever loosing their right to vote. Are we citizens?

It's a Joke.. and we are fools to allow this. We are joking with our future if we continue to accept this ****e.

If this isn't apparent and we are all schooled on thousand year old history... religion, education and what was done to us our ancestors and all. Why haven't we been more upset and doing something about being played like this.

:whip::whip:NAACP FIRST.. those sell out clowns need correcting. Try calling them to report discrimination. I tried years ago. They won't help.. they busy saving the jobs for vegetable pickers and making sure their right to vote is safe.

:fyi:

Peace and Blessings Family!

I've started a new forum ... The Black Law Forum! I'm really excited about this one! I think we can learn so much from each other, and put ourselves in a much more knowledgeable position!

Oh my gosh! This is great, isn't it!!! :D

I've had this on my mind a long time. The law is obviously a big part of many of our people's lives, as far too many are locked up in prison. I'm of the opinion, that many of our people get caught up, trapped, snared, by these laws, never really knowing in advance, the full consequence of their choices. Even for those that have an idea what their end will be, with our talking about it, sharing, etc., they may better prepare themselves for what's ahead.

You know what Family, we spend a lot of time interpreting words, their meanings, etc., and from what it looks like from where i'm standing, the law is a bunch of that very same thing?! Shoooot ... we should be great at this! :D ... Matter of fact, i've heard tell of "Jailhouse Lawyers," seen them on television, and they are allowed by the facilities to actually represent inmates. Seems like if they can do it there, we can do it here ... though ... we are all going in, knowing, aint none of us providing any real legal services. Who knows, with our learning this together, we may inspire gazillions of our young people, to master this occupation. There can be more of us on the side of interpreting the law, instead of having it interpreted upon us!

I want us to not be ignorant of the law. I want us to know the penalties we might face, if we do this, that, or the other. I want us to know what to do, if we or our loved ones are ever facing such a terrible place in life. Based on the numbers of our people locked up in prisons, it's a fate far too many of us may have to face one day, directly or indirectly.

So ... let's help each other avoid some of this, if we can!

Looking forward to the discussions held here!

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

Other then the first Black stewardess, and now Black Activist Sister Nana Carol Taylor and her "The Little Black Book", and before her the Black Panther Party for Self Defense, I have no idea of who, in any inner city amongst the 50 states is educating the Black community about the full text of laws and current laws on the books.

THE LITTLE BLACK BOOK

Black Male Survival in America:
Staying Alive & Well in an Institutionally Racist Society
by Carol Taylor
26pp
Brand New Limited- Edition
www.racismtest.com
This survival manual is for those Black African males who wish to face the reality of urban living and dying...for those who do not want to shut their eyes, hide their heads, cover their ears, "Leave it to God" or feel that "It can't happen to me!"
The 'connect-the-dots' Introduction is by the eminent Judge Bruce McM. Wright and states, without apology, "And so it goes with the scalpel of American society aimed at Black testicles." In full prophetic prose he says, "Black African males may not try to be heroic and hope to survive. The police use Black males for target practice and they seldom miss. The great wonder is that American Blacks have not practiced undercover guerilla warfare after the fashion of the bombers and plotters of the Middle East. Outnumbered and outgunned, any other effort to get even or to avenge Black honor would invite disaster."
There are "...Critical Rules," - what to do when confronted by police, health tips, education-choice tips and what to do and whom to write when abused by police.
http://caroltaylorword.blogspot.com/2007/01/little-black-book.html

Other then the first Black stewardess, and now Black Activist Sister Nana Carol Taylor and her "The Little Black Book", and before her the Black Panther Party for Self Defense, I have no idea of who, in any inner city amongst the 50 states is educating the Black community about the full text of laws and current laws on the books.

Law is pretty vast. Most people aren't going to be interested in studying it all.
In addition to jurisprudence (theory and philosophy of law), there is the history.
I recommend studying a small, basic subset of it all, for one's protection and benefit with emphasis on contracts.

Law is an overloaded word meaning it has multiple definitions and contexts.
Law is will. Will of the political power holder.

The Bible, especially the Old Testament, is a good primer on law.
The word covenant is an older synonym for contract.
This being the case marriage is a covenant, agreement, or contract.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back