Law Forum : Ignorance of the Law Does Not Excuse

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, May 25, 2009.

1. sekou kasimu

sekou kasimu PanAfrikanist Revolutionary PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +1,025
    So, pray tell, what exactly is this legal doctrine "Ignorance of the law" about? :)

2. sekou kasimu

sekou kasimu PanAfrikanist Revolutionary PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +1,025
    So you do have "a passion for the law" like I thought! :) Passion, excitement, what's the difference? ;)

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +10,526

Hello Again !!! :wave:

I love this topic (the law) and am glad you do too ... though i know little about it.

What are you studying, if you don't mind sharing? I mean ... what will your degree be in ... will you be a lawyer?

I think it's so kewl to be able to study the law ... do well with it ... make us proud !!! ... :teach:

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

4. DDW

DDW Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +68
    I will receive a J.D. in may (thanking God). This last semester, I will be preparing for the bar and networking. Yes I will be a lawyer, hoping to do civil work for most of the reasons we have talked about here.

5. Gracious

Gracious Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +235
    Congrats to you my brother! My prayers are with you too!

6. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +948
    God Speed and Good Luck DDW
    I wish you the Best Brother.

7. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +948
    In order to help you through the process to work off some or most of the expenses your are now obligated to.
    I hope this link and information helps you and anyone owing tuition they incurred while attending college.

======================================================

http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/charts/public-service

Public Service Loan Forgiveness

The Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program forgives the remaining balance on your Direct Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer.
    studentaid.ed.gov

If you work full-time in a public service job, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness.

While use of this form and process is not required, if you want us to track your progress toward meeting the PSLF eligibility requirements, you should follow the steps below. If you do not periodically submit the form, you will still be required to submit a form for each employer that you want considered for PSLF at the time that you apply for forgiveness.
    • Step 1 — Complete, with your employer's certification, the Employment Certification form annually or whenever you change jobs.

8. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +948
    So are many of the everyday conversations we have. If someone tells me they will pick me up and give me a ride to work, and they don't. If I loose my job. I can sue them for failure on their part. Under Negligence for not giving me a ride as agreed and contracted.

So all promises are contracts. All promises are contracts because they are relied upon. Verbal / and Implied contracts are enforceable.
    Especially if they are in an email or something.

Be careful what you say you will do if that is relied upon by another.

Things that make you say hum... :Contract:

9. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +948

Brother DDW

You are correct Ignorance of the Law Doctrine is the foundation within prosecutorial discretion.

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/more-subjects/criminal-justice/prosecutors/prosecutorial-discretion
    Study Guides | CliffsNotes
    cliffsnotes.com

I was looking at what you stated about prosecutorial discretion not possibly meeting the requirement. Prosecutorial Discretion is limited to three areas of decision making: the decision to file charges, the decision to dismiss charges, and plea bargaining. This would not make much of a thesis.

I can see why it may not be as informational and more in-depth as Ignorance of the Law Doctrine.
    =========================================

Ignorance and Mistake in Criminal Law

http://www.repository.law.indiana.edu/ilj/vol33/iss1/1/
    "Ignorance and Mistake in Criminal Law" by Jerome Hall
    repository.law.indiana.edu

Follow this link and download the pdf. I believe it may be helpful and contain some educational facts to aid in your writings. What was interesting to me was "mens rea" .

=================================================

However considering the following could we all run stop signs and not be held accountable?

There are instances where we didn't see the writing on the ground or the stop sign itself.

I read the first ten of forty-five pages and found it very informative. If the law was argued and applied as it was written and applied by Philosophers such as Aristotle. It would be more just.

10. JuneBugg

JuneBugg Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +249
    I have some personal experience regarding how things go down............

A typical drug arrest the cops will threaten to come down hard on you if you don't confess and consent to a search and then lie and say they will be light on you if you do consent. Then they employ a rouse to get you admit guilt and open yourself to prosecutorial exploitation. Cops say, we are just talking tell me about your life, how you get into this, its just between us but anything you say that can be used against you will go into the police report.

Cops lie and exaggerate the amount of drugs they confiscated, if they found 1 pound, they say 6, if it was 5 they say 11, to take the felony to another level or at least lock you into a felony and the amount of weight goes into a formula to determine the bond and to increase the bond amount you can't afford. Often you see bonds set over $300,000. Some of the first questions cops ask, if you own your car and your home. If you are making payments, what are the balances? So, if they caught you in your car and find evidence connecting your home they say your property was used in conducting a criminal business and use local, state and federal forfeiture laws and seize your property. Often people can't afford a lawyer and railroaded without vigorous representation and lose everything based on lies, threats and exaggerations.

Cops arrest for profit, DA wants forfeitures for profit and convictions, jails want inmates. It is a twisted and sick conflict of interest based on profit motives at the expense of our rights and justice.

Cops are predators, preying on the public