Black Spirituality Religion : IFA

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by African_Prince, Sep 29, 2005.

1. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    I'd like as much information as possible on the traditional Yoruba religion of IFA. I'm very interested. What does one do to 'become' an Ifa 'devotee'. How does one find out thier chosen orisa, by consulting a babalawow? Thank you.

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    If I understand you correctly, you want to be initiated into the tradition of the Oracle of Ifa. As sister River said, devotee is probably not the best word to use as far as being an initiate.

But before you consider pursuing your quest, one thing you need to be aware of is and that is when and if you do find babalawo to do an Awo, which loosely translates to mean divination, to guide you to your Orisha, you may have to spend one entire year wearing white, eating certain foods, not allowing people to touch you, there is a process that you must go through and it will take a great deal of devotion.

I'll wait for your response.

3. Awotunde

Awotunde Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Becoming a devotee?

Greetings to both African Prince and Sekhemu. For right now I am just looking this forum over checking out the discussions. I assume we are all brothers and sisters here and are open to contructive criticism and correction when needed. Correction sometimes helps me grow.

Anyway Sekhemu you loosely defined the word "awo" as divination. The word awo loosely translates as "secret, mystery". When a Babalawo does divination it is called dafa, or "to cast (da) Ifa (fa)". When one finds out their Orisa one does not have to wear white. What you described is what is called the iyawo year which is the first year AFTER initiation to a particular Orisa. However, not all people and systems require you to wear white.

African Prince and Sekhemu you can go to http://newafrikanvodun.com/indexs.html to the New Afrikan Vodun website to learn more plus there are other links there. I hope to be talking to the both of you soon

4. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

You are correct, I neglected to be a little clearer with regard to Iwayo as it relates to the initiate. However I deliberately left out the more comprehensive loosely definition of Awo for a specific reason.

Thank you for the link, you may want to check out some of my own threads with regard to other ATR's such as Candomble and the Vodun in Benin/ Dahomey.

HeTePu

5. Awotunde

Ratings:
    +1
    The Link

In checking for responses I saw that I had the link wrong. It is http://newafrikanvodun.com/index2.html

Question: You state:

"However I deliberately left out the more comprehensive loosely definition of Awo for a specific reason. "

Do you mind me asking the reason you left out the more comprehensive definition of awo? I am a bit curious now.

6. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Purely for the sake of the unitiated. Often times when we use the word mystery and secret, the notion of spookism comes to mind for many of our people, so this was my attempt to dispel that stereotype

7. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I checked out your website. Awsome! You are right about our "people" initiating the Oyinbo. As you are aware, both Blackbird and I have go into depth about the complicity of our people selling out.

8. Awotunde

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the compliment on the site. Are you initiated in any Afrikan tradition? I somewhat overstand what you were saying about them being spooked but we have to be careful, especially with that word "awo". We have to make sure that our people, regardless of their fear, have the correct information.

9. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Awotunde

I was reading your article on Human beings become Orisas. Interestingly enough, I was in voice/chat wednesday night, and I was telling sister Destee some of the very same things you have in this article, particuliarly the part about our deifying ancestors who lived and died in AmeriKKKa.

Ase

10. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Yes I am initiated. In Candomble for one.