African Traditional Religion : IFA v.s Buddhism.

Discussion in 'African Traditional Religion Study Group' started by KingSango, Feb 27, 2014.

1. KingSango

KingSango Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +389
    I had a very light debate with the Awo a few days ago. I wasn't saying I know more than the Awo by debating with him, I just pointed out disagreement I have with the idea of Karma being interjected into Ifa. Alot of people including African born Yorubas like to upgrade Ifa with spiritual concepts borrowed from other religions. This is very absurd because Orunmila aka IFA was a real person who lived in incarnations before in Ile Ife. Orunmila means, Olorun the sky god recognizes Ela, so his name is Ela, he was a great diviner and the greatest who ever lived. Ela divined everything, he divined every business deal, he divined every morning when he got up, he consulted Oludumare's wisdom for all matters. When he become older he invented his own diviner tool called the Ipele, this was not a replacement for the 16 Kola nuts shells but it allowed much easier and faster readings. Ela expanded upon the Odu, some say the Odu was his invention but I think he may have just expanded upon them. Ela became a rich king and had many wives and sons. And when he died the elders in tradition defied him as Orunmila the Spirit of Oludumare's wisdom, second to God to witness fate or destiny. Ela was a great healer and his wisdom covers all aspects human existence.

Ifa says that only two things in life can't be changed by divination or choice, that is birth and death. One can not choose when one will be born and one can not change when one will die. There's a story of Iku, the spirit of death, Iku was taking people before their time, so Orunmila fought with Iku, actually a deal was struck. This further illustrates Orunmila's gift to know when all will be born and when they will die. Then Ifa says that everything in between birth and death is our choice, we can change all fates in the middle of these. Karma says that things happen by a pre-determined fate due to past life events or choices, this is contradictory to Ifa.

Karma suggests that when people experience hardship in life it is due to past life sins or punishments from past life. IFA and African belief is that when people experience bad luck it is due to someone hating on them or using blackmagic or evil eye. Unless the person brought it upon themselves when people have bad luck it is very much because of jealousy or envy. Buddhism doesn't have a divination system that is equal and accurate as Ifa is with the 256 odus which each Odu has stories that when multiplied deal with 1000s of human problems and issues so a solution can be found. Because of this inadequacy Buddhism just prescribes the person's unique problem to the unknown that can't be seen. Past life energy is not as strong as the present and can't be read even by IFA. Ifa measures the present energy very accurately and depending upon the ache of the priest or priestess and their personal knowledge of IFA's odus, the right prescription or ebbo can be prescribed. Ebbo is simply the right combination of energy to set the balance back into the person's life.

There are more examples of our people today second guessing our ancestors wisdom and interjecting opposing philosophies. This is done to appear modern, or simply because White Supremacy likes to look upon anything further down South as less credible and inferior. I guess because Buddhism is lighter skinned people, some like to think they know more than our darker skin ancestors. But Orunmila aka Ifa wasn't defied for nothing, he came into the world bringing a very accurate system and very complete, IFA can heal all our problems if we let him.

Prayer to Orunmila to be done each and every morning.

Orunmila! Witness of fate
    second to (GOD):
    Thou are far more efficacious than medicine,
    Thou are Immense Orbit that averts the day of death.
    My Lord, Almighty to save,
    Mysterious Spirit that fought death. To thee salutation is first due in the morning.
    Thou Equilibrium that adjusts World Forces, Thou art the One whose exertion it is to reconstruct the creature of bad lot:\; Repairer of ill luck, He who knows thee becomes immortal. Lord, the undeposable King, Perfect in the HOUSE of WISDOM! My Lord! Ifinite in knowledge! For not knowing thee in full,we are futile, Oh, if we could but know thee in full, all would be well with. Ashe.

More later.

2. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    king shango, I belief that what you have stated in fare. That most western African spirit systems don't have this type of past live Karma thing going on to your present live.

The thing is nether does Buddhism, What you stated is what Hindus believe in Karma. Kamma or Karma means action, your willful action(s). It's more like your cause and effect. Your pass actions in this live time, can and do effect your current space. Your current actions will effect your future space.

3. KingSango

KingSango Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +389

I disagree or maybe we're not talking about the same thing. I'm not talking about Karma in its an abstract meaning, whatever that is. I'm talking about people supposing that if you're a cruel bastard in this life then your next life you will be punished. Ifa says that suicide and cruel people don't get to live again. People who don't respect the gift of life, the life of themselves, or the life of others, they are in direct conflict with God's will for creation to evolve. The idea that God punishes people with hell, turning people into gruesome creatures, making them pay for pass life grievances is just nonsense told to scare people. Priests or priestess who convey this ignorance to the masses are ignorant of the cosmic laws. For instance my definition is, people who have minor sins, wasting all of your money on selfish things and then leaving your kids in poverty reincarnate into a poor family. I think generational curses are nothing more than life conditions, like poverty, ignorance, disease and immorality, which are changeable now! . If humans fail to live wise then they will suffer one or more of the harsh conditions of life and pass them unto their family. This isn't karma though, this is just cause and effect, when a person suffers unjustly in this life at the hands of others that isn't karma, that's a result of jealousy and envy, which Africa speaks of so well.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +14,320
    FWIW : i make a point of not following deities that don't look like me......

5. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    we are in agreement then. I was correcting your believe that the Buddha said such things.

6. KingSango

KingSango Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +389
    No. I know that the Hindu mulattoes changed alot of things that Buddha, a black man, taught.

7. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    I'm not sure I get what you are saying. Hindu came before the Buddha.

8. KingSango

KingSango Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +389
    According to my research Buddhism is much older than the Hindu which is an offshoot of Aryan thought and Buddhism. You just have to read the untampered history to get the truth. Buddha was a Black prince who didn't desire pleasures and comfort of the royal life, so instead dedicated himself to helping others reach enlightenment. The idea he was some God in life was absurd, he was defied only after death as most African traditions.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  9. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    Brother, I think I get you now.
    I have never read that hindus changed their believes after Buddha's time. But then I don't read hindu-ism mush. I just know the Buddha did not agree with their teachings on Karma or re-incarnation. Thanks for clearing things up.

10. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +236
    Greetings Brother:

Not to question your position, but I think that your perspective on both African spirituality as well as Dharmic spirituality is a bit oversimplified.

http://www.ehow.com/info_11398990_african-traditional-beliefs-reincarnation.html