Black Spirituality Religion : IFA: To practice or not to practice

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Poeticsoulsista, Jul 13, 2003.

?

What would you do??

1. Ignore what your family think and practice, knowing they don\'t want it in their home

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Don\'t practice and respect their wishes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Spirituality will always be with you. Practicing this religion won\'t make you whole

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Poeticsoulsista

Poeticsoulsista Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +8
    No longer continued

2. Poeticsoulsista

United States
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks priestess, I guess I still have alot of growing and patients to learn.

Much love and respect
    Poetic Sista

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    PoeticSoulSista ... any situation that requires you to pull away from those that have loved and supported you forever, your parents, must be considered very carefully to say the least. You are a child still dependent upon their continued love and support. When you become a completely self-supporting adult, you are then free to make whatever decisions you want. Of course you can take that role on now, as there are many "adult 19 year olds," but be prepared to accept the full consequence of such a decision.

How can you honor God but you find it difficult honoring your parents wishes? Parents that have loved and supported you, continuing to do so even after you've reached the age of maturity?

Stay Focused My Sister.

:heart:

Destee

4. Poeticsoulsista

United States
    Ratings:
    +8
    no longer contiuned...

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    PoeticSoulSista ... i was very reluctant to respond initially and when i did it was from a "parent - child" perspective, of which i am very familiar with both sides.

I see i've misunderstood a litte of what you shared (that you've been on your own a very long time, among other things), i apologize for that. I am not familiar with Yoruba, though someone may be teaching a class on it soon in voice chat, and i am looking forward to that.

As a result, i'm going to move out of this conversation, leaving it to those much more knowledgeable than myself.

Stay Focused Sister.

:heart:

Destee

6. ifasehun

ifasehun Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    in time, even the most conversative families come around. at least enough to make practice possible. but i must confess that in any religion - the road - is as much the process as anything.

ie: its not always supposed to be easy.

look for simple, unobtrusive ways to practice. begin sharing in a gentle way what "you" want to believe in, not what you want them to "agree" with you about. take it in gentle steps.

in time everything will work out.