Black Spirituality Religion : If you work for British Airways, you can wear a turban but not a cross!

WhiteN'nerdy

BANNED
Oct 12, 2006
A committed Christian plans legal action against her employers British Airways after the airline ruled that displaying a cross breached uniform rules.

Heathrow check-in worker Nadia Eweida claims she was effectively "forced" to take unpaid leave after refusing to remove the Christian symbol.

She told Sky News: "To me, this is horrendous. Words fail me. I feel very strongly about it."

And now the former Shadow Home Secretary and devout Christian Ann Widdecombe has waded into the row, branding the BA ruling "crazy" and urging other Christians to boycott the airline.

She said: "Christians should not sit back and take this. Any Christian who would normally use BA should look for an alternative.

"If BA is ashamed of Christians - we are ashamed of you!"

Ms Eweida's uniform issure ironically arose just a day after she had been on a BA training course designed to raise awareness of other cultures and to teach staff how to deal with religious differences.

Ms Eweida, 55, who has been with the airline for seven years, is on voluntary leave after receiving a letter which read: "You have been sent home because you have failed to comply with a reasonable request.

Nadia: 'Words fail me' "You were asked to cover up or remove your cross and chain which you refused to do.

"British Airways uniform standards stipulate that adornments of any kind are not to be worn with the uniform."

She now plans to sue for religious discrimination and lawyer Mark Stephens told Sky News he believed she had a good case.

"Other items such as turbans, hijabs and bangles can be worn as it is not practical for staff to conceal them beneath their uniforms."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...547103,00.html

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back