Black People : If you were a slave..."Sankofa" the movie

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by NNQueen, Apr 3, 2006.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I recently purchased the video "Sankofa" and watched it last night. To say that it was a powerful depiction of what it must have been like for Africans to have been enslaved, is an understatement. It was a gripping story and emotional.

As I watched it, it made me wonder, if I was born back then and in that same situation as an African, what type of slave would I have been? Would I have been one of the silent type that was afraid to buck the system or would I have been a warrior type who constantly sought ways to gain my freedom.

What type would you have been?

What type are you now?

Queenie :spinstar:

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,734
    actually, those downtrodden slaves did what they had to do to survive.
    they survived and in so doing give us life.

and one day we are going to set fire to the white man.....:flamet:

3. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    I've seen Sankofa as well sister. Wonderful movie, a must see. Knowing myself I would have been one of the millions of Africans littering the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. I would have chosen death before conquest. The type of African I'm now is one that is slowly and carefully trying to rinse the conditioning out of my mind. This is a tough task being that the conditioning has been in for nearly 500 years now. Even when the conditioning is rinsed from my mind it will still take time for my mind to uncondition what the conditioner has done. In short I didn't get this way overnight nor will I change overnight....

Peace.....

4. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    This reminds me of when I saw the movie Panther with my aunt, and we went back to ask our older family members what they were doing in the '60's. They all replied they didn't want to get involved with violence so they did not entertain the panthers or Malcolm X. They didn't even go to Dr. King's March on Washington. One of my family members said she WOULD HAVE joined the panthers but she didn't want to give up wearing her wig. It's obvious to me they would have done nothing but "go along to get along."

I'd like to think I'm different from my family, but we all have to make certain compromises to live our lives in this society as we try to make our ideals match our realities.

I don't know if I would have survived the middle passage, but obviously one of my ancestors did, so I guess the strength is there in my genes somewhere. I probably would have been one of those slaves who tried to learn how to read in secret and tried to teach others. I'm one who likes working under the radar.

5. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    That was a very powerful movie. Knowing what I know about me right now?.....probably a "quiet fire"....a revolutionary type who planned out how to move in detail without a lot of noise.

6. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    :haha::haha: come on james
    Seriously, I don't think I would buck the system, but I feel I would be taking whatever i could from them that took from me.

7. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Good Question.......

"If you were a slave..."Sankofa" the movie

What type would you have been?

What type are you now?"

I haven't seen the movie, but look foward to renting it. Thx for the tip-off NNQeen

I most likely would've been a field slave who plotted every chance I could, poisoned food, set fire to the "big house", beat down Miss sally every chanceI could get, made my way into the "big house", and cause commotion among the white families. No disrespect, I am the great great great grand-daughter of slaves, but, slave masters were blessed not to have me around back then. I'm sorry. Woman or not, my energy wouldn't have allow me to lay back in the cuts and watch. It would have been another chapter in history. Seriously, I would have pulled a Harriet Tubman, or a one-woman Amistad!!

Physical slavery is over, but now I work on the psychological aspect of it, and encourage other Blacks as well, to do the same. I owe it to my dead ancestors, both Red and Black(you know I have an 'attitude') to resist!!
    Healing takes time, but a plan can be executed immediately:bomb:

8. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    If I were a slave...

I would have a plan for action. I would tell the slave owner that some field negroes are out in the slave quarters learning how to read. As massa goes out to the slave quarters to investigate, a slave lying in wait cracks massa's skull open with a sledge hammer and he dies. I then burn down massa's house to join my brethren in the Underground Railraod system. The end.

9. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    On the real.....lol

Word! I totally agree!

10. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    This was an excellent question which called for excellent thinking. In all due respect for reality, I obviously can not take into consideration for "how I am now" but how I would have been back then. I also must remember "how I was before I came into my own awakening to be as I am now." I must take into account human nature, emotionalism and a host of many factors. Upon my doing all of that, I understand fully that "I WOULD HAVE BEEN A SLAVE".

In fact, even back then...those who were intellegent would not have died first. They too would have been slaves. It would have been the "emotional ones who died first, the reactionary ones who died first. The intellegent ones would not have died first at all, so they would have been slaves also.