Africa : If you say being gay is not African, then you don't know your history

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
People are free to think how they want but, outside of any religious doctrine, can anyone prove that African gay men and African lesbians never existed anywhere in the African continent prior to any colonization by people from other parts of the world? Why is it difficult/impossible to believe that it did?

According to an article in the guardian. The author, Bisi Alimi states that:

"The idea that homosexuality is ‘western’ is based on another western import – Christianity. True African culture celebrates diversity and promotes acceptance."

Members of the LGBT community parade in Entebbe, Uganda, a year
after an anti-gay bill was annulled.

"In digging up facts I found that, while many Africans say that homosexuality is un-African, African culture is no stranger to homosexual behaviours and acts.

For example, in my local language (Yoruba), the word for “homosexual” is adofuro, a colloquialism for someone who has anal sex. It might sound insulting and derogatory, however, the point is there is a word for the behaviour. Moreover, this is not a new word; it is as old as the Yoruba culture itself.

In the northern part of Nigeria, yan daudu is a Hausa term to describe effeminate men who are considered to be wives to men. While the Yoruba word might be more about behaviour than identity, this Hausa term is more about identity. You have to look and act like a yan daudu to be called one. It is not an identity you can just carry. These words are neutral; they are not infused with hate or disgust.

Read more

MS234

Mar 1, 2010
Really Queen? lol.

I disagree. Just because a certain language has words for certain behaviors doesn't mean it is/was promoted and accepted. lol

The writer of this article is gay. So he has to make everything fit his agenda.

This article was written in Sep 2015. I quite sure African traditions were established long before Sep 2015.

So Queen this article confirms that Africa as a continent accepted and promoted diversity long ago?

In Boy-Wives and Female Husbands, a book examining homosexuality and feminism in Africa, the researchers found ‘‘explicit” Bushman artwork that depicts men engaging in same-sex sexual activity.
They were bushmen right lol Yes I had to go there. The article was a comical, self serving fantasy.

We live in a day and age were you can make anything fit your agenda.

smh

The insanity is also state sanctioned, welcome to a faag i mean sad future. Unless of course you're gay then the future gets two finger snaps girlfriend.

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
I'm glad you got a chuckle out of the article. But seriously, do you believe that being gay is a modern day phenomenon among African Americans and anti-African?

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
I think the claim is that it didn't exist until colonialization

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Amnat77 Black People : Don Lemon: Being Gay Is Worst Thing to Be in Black Culture Black People Open Forum 13
C Black People : You Have Been And Still Is Being Lied Too Black People Open Forum 0
R Black Poetry : Being hot from the hood is not good in any manner a plenty bandannas are worn by many car parked at the club but got a bad spark plug and my heart l Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : Being a former church goer/christian ... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Liberian girl's song about COVID-19 being played on radio Black Entertainment 0
C Black People : Being Divinely True And Real Black People Open Forum 1
Azacotogan Benin : Daagbo of Ouidah being called "His Majesty" and "global leader of Vodun?!?" Benin 0
C Black People : Too Serious Being Black Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : The Black Tax: The Cost of Being Black In America Black People Open Forum 0
R Black Poetry : This is hot and fly and it will occupy some dumb eardrums and some fear come from being haters, need elevators to take them all the way up like FAT J Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
C Black People : Why Do Black Afrikans Allow That White Racist Unjust Prejudice Luciferian Human Being Set The Agenda For Black Commentary And Activism??? Black People Open Forum 0
Chyko Black Entertainment : Snoop Dogg Shows Black Love By Thanking His Wife For Being With Him "Through The Ups And Downs Smiles And Frowns" Black Entertainment 1
OldSoul Black People : White Woman Identified After Being Filmed Saying She Wants To Kill N****** Black People Open Forum 1
HODEE Black People : VIEW THIS... No need to Buy! Info that is so Enlightening to WELL Being! Black People Open Forum 1
Kemetstry Black Parenting : BEING CONSTANTLY ON THE CELL PHONE IMPACTS YOUR CHILD Black Parenting 1
Destee Pets / Animals : Black the Rottweiler - talking to him about not being a Rottie that attacks / kills their owner Pets / Animals 11
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Hundreds of black deaths in Summer of 1919 are being remembered African American History Culture 0
Perfection Black People Politics : You're not considered a human being, so how you gone get them to give you reparations? Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Dishwasher Awarded $21.5 Million for Being Made to Work on Sundays Black People Doing Positive Things 0
B Black Education / Schools : Mental Health and Well-Being by Design: Leveraging and Scaling High Impact Solutions to Support Comm Black Education / Schools 0
R Black Poetry : Got a proud walk but loud talk in the library is not good seeing crazy and by being lazy could ruin Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
HODEE Black People Politics : Florida Ballets being illegally tranported. Black People Politics 0
R Black Poetry : This one boy try remain like a train being late while seeing cake rolling down the track while holdi Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Destee Black People Politics : How Can I Fight for Your Baby - When My Baby is Being Shot in the Street? Black People Politics 17
nilevalley Black People Politics : On this day of nationwide protests over mexican children being separated from their families ... Black People Politics 3
candeesweet Black Poetry : Life's Autonomy being Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Being black in Russia: World Cup 2018 Black Sports 2
Kemetstry Black People : BLACKS BEING TARGETED BY BOMBER IN TEXAS Black People Open Forum 15
R Black Poetry : Drug slanging by new kid man hanging off the bridge like leaves on trees beg for his life like being Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
crwn Health and Wellness : BREAKING News From CDC! Americans Are Being POISONED! Black Health and Wellness 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Libya : Africans are being sold at Libyan slave markets. Thanks, Hillary Clinton Libya 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Internet Technology : Neo-Nazi Website The Daily Stormer Is Now Being Hosted on Island With Mostly Black Residents Science and Technology 0
Chevron Dove Chevron Dove : BEING BLACK or BROWN’ Is it Self Hatred or SELF-ish Preservation? Chevron Dove 4
OldSoul OldSoul : A slavery 'game' being used in schools OldSoul 9
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Colin Kaepernick Isn’t Being Blackballed Because He Knelt for Anthem - Rule violates 1st Amendment Black Sports 241
Kemetstry Black People : CHARLOTTESVILLE NAZIS BEING IDENTIFIED AND FIRED THRU THE NET Black People Open Forum 20
S Black People Politics : What's wrong with being friendly with Russia? What exactly is the fear? Black People Politics 10
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Women : Party Of One: Three Black Women On Being Single And Satisfied Black Women 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : 10-Year-Old Starts Empowering Clothing Line After Being Bullied For Her Dark Skin Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Lue Reacts to LeBron Not Being Named MVP Finalist Black Sports 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Outlaw: Being A Leader Ain't Easy Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Liberty Black Education / Schools : University Miss Black pageant winner criticized for 'not being black enough' Black Education / Schools 18
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Outlaw: Just Being Real Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Being A Silent Multimillionaire (will make you look crazy) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Liberty Senegal : Being African American in Senegal Senegal 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People : today-show-viewers-react-to-tamron-hall-being-replaced-by-megyn-kelly Black People Open Forum 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : lee-daniels-wants-white-people-to-feel-good-about-being-white Black People Politics 7
chuck Black People : What's Our Impact On The Mass Media Truly Being Based On? Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Health and Wellness : What Are Your Viewpoints About Our Peoples Current Day Health And Wellness Truly Being Based On? Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : West Africa Is Being Swallowed by the Sea All Things Africa 4