Black History Culture : If you say being gay is not African, then you don't know your history

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by NNQueen, Jun 7, 2016.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    People are free to think how they want but, outside of any religious doctrine, can anyone prove that African gay men and African lesbians never existed anywhere in the African continent prior to any colonization by people from other parts of the world? Why is it difficult/impossible to believe that it did?

According to an article in the guardian. The author, Bisi Alimi states that:

"The idea that homosexuality is ‘western’ is based on another western import – Christianity. True African culture celebrates diversity and promotes acceptance."

[​IMG]
    Members of the LGBT community parade in Entebbe, Uganda, a year
    after an anti-gay bill was annulled.

"In digging up facts I found that, while many Africans say that homosexuality is un-African, African culture is no stranger to homosexual behaviours and acts.

For example, in my local language (Yoruba), the word for “homosexual” is adofuro, a colloquialism for someone who has anal sex. It might sound insulting and derogatory, however, the point is there is a word for the behaviour. Moreover, this is not a new word; it is as old as the Yoruba culture itself.

In the northern part of Nigeria, yan daudu is a Hausa term to describe effeminate men who are considered to be wives to men. While the Yoruba word might be more about behaviour than identity, this Hausa term is more about identity. You have to look and act like a yan daudu to be called one. It is not an identity you can just carry. These words are neutral; they are not infused with hate or disgust.

Read more

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    Really Queen? lol.

I disagree. Just because a certain language has words for certain behaviors doesn't mean it is/was promoted and accepted. lol

The writer of this article is gay. So he has to make everything fit his agenda.

This article was written in Sep 2015. I quite sure African traditions were established long before Sep 2015.

So Queen this article confirms that Africa as a continent accepted and promoted diversity long ago?

They were bushmen right lol Yes I had to go there. The article was a comical, self serving fantasy.

We live in a day and age were you can make anything fit your agenda.

smh

The insanity is also state sanctioned, welcome to a faag i mean sad future. Unless of course you're gay then the future gets two finger snaps girlfriend.

3. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I'm glad you got a chuckle out of the article. But seriously, do you believe that being gay is a modern day phenomenon among African Americans and anti-African?

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    unite copy 2.jpg unite copy.jpg unite.jpg

divide.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,127
    I think the claim is that it didn't exist until colonialization

6. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043

what a ridiculous argument. The whole thing sounds like an argument between Immortal all-seeing Gods. Who else could make these kinds of observations? on either side of the argument.. who can speak to a behavior across thousands of years and billions of people? I don't see any intellectually-dignified way to enter into this on either of the presented sides. The only choice then is to throw them both out and start with a new premise.

--context is everything.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    :bowdown:

8. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Not thinking inclusively and more broadly as to who "we" are as Black people is not a distraction from whatever some think are the more critical issues that impact Black people, nor is it ridiculous, in my opinion. And it's okay to disagree on those points.

9. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +599
    [QUOTE="NNQueen, post: 954303, member: 36" People are free to think how they want but, outside of any religious doctrine, can anyone prove that African gay men and African lesbians never existed anywhere in the African continent prior to any colonization by people from other parts of the world? Why is it difficult/impossible to believe that it did?

According to an article in the guardian. The author, Bisi Alimi states that:

"The idea that homosexuality is ‘western’ is based on another western import – Christianity. True African culture celebrates diversity and promotes acceptance."

[​IMG]
    Members of the LGBT community parade in Entebbe, Uganda, a year
    after an anti-gay bill was annulled.

"In digging up facts I found that, while many Africans say that homosexuality is un-African, African culture is no stranger to homosexual behaviours and acts.

For example, in my local language (Yoruba), the word for “homosexual” is adofuro, a colloquialism for someone who has anal sex. It might sound insulting and derogatory, however, the point is there is a word for the behaviour. Moreover, this is not a new word; it is as old as the Yoruba culture itself.

In the northern part of Nigeria, yan daudu is a Hausa term to describe effeminate men who are considered to be wives to men.

While the Yoruba word might be more about behaviour than identity, this Hausa term is more about identity. You have to look and act like a yan daudu to be called one.

It is not an identity you can just carry.

These words are neutral; they are not infused with hate or disgust.

Read more/QUOTE]

However, wouldn’t this planet be in great shape, far closer to Utopia as opposed to the so HELLISH REALITY of the 21st century; if what consenting adults were doing to each other in line with their sexual preferences /natural inclination/gender orientation [which is anyone but their business how exactly] was the worst thing happening anywhere on it, in the 21st century?

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
    graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? we can argue all day about where it come from.
    the fact is it is here today. black people love to be distracted from the real issues.

the system of white supremacy hates all black people.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. adofuro history

2. adofuro