Black Education / Schools : If you aren't doing anything, then go back to school.

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by MsInterpret, Aug 5, 2011.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    This is just a message for those who are unemployed and really wondering what they are going to do next.

Times are hard right now, especially for us black folks. Some days it may seem like no one will hire you and that all the good jobs are going to Latino workers or white people. But please, do NOT sit around wondering and waiting for something to happen. It takes more then just e-mailing resumes and filling out job applications.
    Employers want to hire someone who stays busy and shows drive, and filling out applications isn't enough.
    Go back to school. Even if it's for a 3 month program or certificate. It not only shows that you have ambition but it also shows that you can accomplish something once you start. Also, while in school it will give you an opportunity to network with other students who may already be in a field and who are just trying to brush up on some education and you can also network with your instructors too. Don't think that they are just there to teach you, they are also there to help you further your career anyway possible, even if that means assisting you with finding a job. Besides, they've already been in those fields, so they DO have contacts.
    And if you are wondering about how you will pay for school, don't worry about that either, because there a plenty of scholarships readily available for minorities. But it is up to you to find them and it does take some time. Also, there is financial aid that you can apply for, including grants (free money), and who doesn't want free money?

Now there are downsides to going back, but do not let them stop you or get you down, because once you worry about the minor details, it will prevent you from reaching your success.

Schools and programs can be full, and sometimes it can be a two-year waiting list, especially for the Healthcare fields. A lot of people are out of work and heading back to school, so programs are a bit competitive. It is good to try and speak with a school counselor as soon as possible and try and find out if you can still take your CORE classes (English, Math, Science) while you are waiting to enter into that program. This is also good because it will get your CORE classes out of the way and if you are rusty on your math or English it will give you some time to prepare for the more advance prerequisites.

If you can't get entrance into a program because of a waiting list, seek out other programs that you can take. But if your heart is dead set on that program, then do what you got to do to get in, and don't let it deter you from progressing.

And remember this, most jobs that pay good require that you have some sort of degree, whether it's an AA, BA, MA, MBA, etc...It's always puts you one up on someone else who doesn't.

Also, have patience and don't give up. There's always an opportunity as long as you look for it.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Sister MsInterpret ... i must admit, i aint even read your whole post above yet ... but the love is OOOOOOOZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZING all out of it !!! ... Oh My Gosh !!! ... I Love It !!!

Yes Yes Yes ... let's actually encourage and help each other !!! :toast: :toast: :toast:

Okay ... i'm gonna read it all ... and post again ... but i just had to get this out!

Thank You! :kiss:

:heart:

Destee

3. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Caveats on going back to school.

- School debt is expensive financially and increasing in amount for many students. School debt can't be discharged through bankruptcy. Failure to pay your school debt can result in garnishment .... of your Social Security payouts.
    - Given Congress' antics these last few weeks, expect the financing of school debt to become more expensive.
    - Some degree fields are heavily saturated. Saturation = decreased wages and salaries in that field.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    School can mean "any learning environment" ... right?

Which means folk can teach themselves and each other, depending on what needs learning.

With the current events mentioned, we're gonna have to get real creative, and think outside the box.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

5. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I concur!!

Most definitely!

If I had to do college all over again, I would have done it as cheaply as possible as quickly as possible.
    Junior colleges, colleges online, whatever it takes to keep costs down.

Any deficiencies one may have in any area whether it is reading, math, etc.; I would have those corrected in junior college.

Let's not forget tutors either. Tutors can be a great way of learning a subject or overcoming difficulties.

Fostering a general environment in scholarship is what I focus on personally and professionally.

6. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    This post is on point!!! I took two semesters off from school because I wanted to make that money and get some overtime. Now my store is closing and if it wasn't for my G.I. Bill I would be SOL!!! I am definitely back on my grind and this post just made me think about the goals and achievements in my life that I need. You have helped to make me thirsty again.