Black People : If we came out Thompson would have been NYC mayor

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Only 25% of registered voters came out to vote last Tuesday, and Bloomberg only won by 50,000 votes which means about 8 votes, per district.

8 VOTES!!!!!

Dinkins, election win had a 60% turn out at the polls.

Excuses can be made regarding Thompsons lack of coming out to the community and presenting a solid agenda, but then one can say where could he do it?

When Dinkins ran for mayor we had 3 ,AM radio stations Black owned(and still) by Innercity Broadcasting The Global Black Experience, Drive Time Dialogue, and Night Talk
    which presented 3 times per day, early morning, afternoon and evening important people on a monthly basis like;
    Dr Ben Jochanan
    Marimba Ani
    Ra Un Nefer Amen
    Dr Amos Wilson
    Dr John Henrik Clarke
    Dr Adelaide Sanford
    Dr Francis Crss Welsing
    Alton Maddox
    Al Sharpton
    Minister Farrakhan
    Ashra Kweisi
    Dr Ivan Van Sertima
    Molefi Asante
    Abubadika Sonny Carson
    then NYC rep of NOI, min. Conrad Muhammed
    Dr Leonard Jeffries
    Herman Ferguson
    Charles Barron
    Sister Soljah
    Dr Charchie Macintye
    Jewel Pookrum
    Iyana Vanzant
    and Queen Afua

and they introduced and maintained the message of these Black folks to the Black community on a regular basis, as well as providing a platform for Black politicians attemping to break the racial barriers.

Now there is realy nothing left other then the Gil Noble, "like it is" that comes on Sundays, now for only one half hour, and the 2 hour show "Open Line" on KISS radio FM.

The sad question remains is how do we regain some daily media for our community as well as reverse the complacency regarding the election process???

Is this going on in other cities as well?

2. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    Sigh......

"Is this going on in other cities as well?"

Yes it is. I dont have any answers but its a sad commentary that the little access we have to media doesnt bring forth the most important issues in our community on a regular basis. We had a man named Tom Pope who I thought did an outstanding job of bringing the issues out and had sosme of the guest on you named in your post but like all else, the station he was on was purchased and the programming changed and as far as I know we have nothing. No TV or Radio. The black newspaper..well..I'll just say it is black owned but I dont see it engaging the community like it could.

3. decipherx1

decipherx1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +379
    I live in N.J. and would donate money to WBAI, those were the days when the people you mentioned were ALWAYS heard on that station, I miss those days, and like you said: now all we have is Like It Is, plus the Final Call that shows things from a Black perspective.

4. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    BAI is cool and Democracy Now has the best news but Pacifical axed 2 importnat brothers;
    Bernard White, and the General manager.

Imhotep Gary Byrd only gets a few hours per week, we still have brothe MChawe, but Elombe has been off, so it's like holding on to a thread.

5. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Therefore, we need to find other methodologies and methods to inspire the greatr community to vote and get civicly active, because those that don't mean the Black community, any good,
    rely, depend and profit from our collctive apathy and complacency