Black Women : If this was your daughter...

I know that's right. Like my mother says go where you are celebrated--not tolerated. We tend to go where we are not even tolerated and like you said we think this is some kind of badge.

Willie Lynch did his job thoroughly. He has us at the point where no matter what we do we don't feel legit unless we are doing it in the white world among whites. We must seek validation in what we do not who we do it with.

I think about those children in the sixties who were the first to integrate white schools under the protection of the National Guard. We look at those children with pride as brave souls. In truth, they were sacrificed for a mistaken cause. What happened was the schools were integrated on the outside but not on the inside. I know of a woman who was bussed to a white school as a child. Before she went to that school she used to love to read but a white teacher told her that children who read a lot talk too much. At thirty years of age she was still trying to regain her love for reading.

Like you said there is no honor or courage in subjecting our children to this.

Excellent posts Sister Happy and River....very thought-provoking indeed. Being a child of the 60s and exactly as you described river, one of the first to integrate an all-white school, I can honestly say that it was that single experience that was profound enough to influence the way that I view race relations in the world today.

river said:
I know that's right. Like my mother says go where you are celebrated--not tolerated. We tend to go where we are not even tolerated and like you said we think this is some kind of badge.

Truer words have never been spoken!! It is ashame that the desire for so many of us has been to intergrate, that we lost site of what we had built when we were together.

Please be aware that at the time the public schools were slowly being integrated throughout this nation in the 1960s, it was a fact that most predominately or all-Black schools were suffering from inferior, primarily hand-me-down teaching materials and dealing with other such things. Our history had been stolen and buried deep beneath racism so there wasn't access to even an alternative education in those days. So at the time, many parents did what they thought was the best for their children and not necessarily wanting them to be like "white kids." They wanted what they thought was the BEST education possible for their babies because they never had the privilege nor the opportunity to be taught much of anything except that they were products of slavery and should be greatful for whatever crumbs they were thrown by an racist and oppressive regime. In hindsight, if they knew then what they know now, I would guess that many of these same parents would do things differently. I know my parents would have, but I survived and came through it still a fighter. So, no there may not be in any honor or courage found in subjecting our children to this form of education today and if these same parents learned anything from their struggle the generation before, they should certainly know better and stop trying to force assimilation on these babies. In a country that refers to us as "minorities" we don't stand a chance to be anything but that unless we PUSH BACK!

Peace and I remain your sister in the struggle!!
Queenie :teach:

Of course Queenie,

In no way am I holding the parents of the sixties culpable. I was only saying that integration is not the pie in the sky we thought it would be. I am aware that I am speaking from the perspective of hindsight and I do not see the benefit of blaming the past. We must move forward from where we are and what we know now.

Thanks for correcting me and giving me the opportunity to express things more clearly. This dialogue is turnin out to be very fruitful.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back