Black Spirituality Religion : If This is My Path Why Can't...

Well there was a guy who came to speak to my religious class on the Orishas, but he ended up speaking a lot about worshipping your personal Ori via alter, cocoa butter, prayer, etc. I asked him how could I find my Ori and he said your Ori is your destiny sort of speak, the only way to get a correct reading on your destiny is through a Babalow (spelling). Then later he spoke of how all people have direct line to the spirit world, egun, orishas through the Ori. They are always there, but we must take the first step, through Ori worship. So then I asked "if I already have a direct line to the spirit world through my Ori or my destiny what is the reading for and wouldn't I be better off finding it myself ?" That pissed him off because my question didn't get answered he just said don't question my traditions like that.

I'm just confused about what the Babalow(sp) would tell me? And why can't I figure out what they would tell me on my own if this is my path?

The guy was very confusing he would use Ori and Destiny interchangeable then describe them separately. Then he would speak about the Ori and Orishas and it was kind of like okay what are you talking about lol. So if sound confused its because I am.

Brotha I'll be back on later thi morning to answer your question.

Well there was a guy who came to speak to my religious class on the Orishas, but he ended up speaking a lot about worshipping your personal Ori via alter, cocoa butter, prayer, etc. I asked him how could I find my Ori and he said your Ori is your destiny sort of speak, the only way to get a correct reading on your destiny is through a Babalow (spelling). Then later he spoke of how all people have direct line to the spirit world, egun, orishas through the Ori. They are always there, but we must take the first step, through Ori worship. So then I asked "if I already have a direct line to the spirit world through my Ori or my destiny what is the reading for and wouldn't I be better off finding it myself ?" That pissed him off because my question didn't get answered he just said don't question my traditions like that.

I'm just confused about what the Babalow(sp) would tell me? And why can't I figure out what they would tell me on my own if this is my path?

The guy was very confusing he would use Ori and Destiny interchangeable then describe them separately. Then he would speak about the Ori and Orishas and it was kind of like okay what are you talking about lol. So if sound confused its because I am.

Brotha I'll be back on later thi morning to answer your question.

I created a thread on Ori some time ago. I'll dig it up.

In the meantime, bare in mind that Ori has several aspects all of them are inter-related

I will begin by saying that I understand your frustration. I'm not a priestess, but I have had personal dealings with folks (priests as well) who claim to have been from certain traditions; I spoke to one guy who I could literally hear flipping through a book as he was giving me a 'reading'. Like with any group, you'll run into good and bad ones and ones who are experienced and rookie. What I have found out is that if she or he is unwilling to answer questions, don't waste your time and/or money; it's your life and you have the right to know about it because you are the one who's here on mission. For me, telling me I HAVE to go through an intermediary is comparable to a Christian person saying I HAVE to go through Christ to seek the Creator; that can be a red flag in some cases. I will not advise you against speaking with someone because they aren't all ill-intended, but make ABSOLUTELY, ABSOLUTELY certain to follow your gut when determining the individual's reputability and intent. Ultimately, you will have to follow your Ori; you'll need to get out into nature alone and just start appealing to the benevolent forces directly through prayer and meditation. Believe me, you will start seeing signs on your own----things that cannot be dismissed as coincidence, as they are far too personal for you. Many will seem to come from odd places and people which and who may not seem directly connected to you. Don't overlook the obvious. Before you seek out anyone, go, ALONE, out and ask those benevolent forces (Creator and ancestral) to send you someone (reputable and good-hearted) who will be, if necessary, a temporary guide along the path. The proof is in the pudding, so, if someone is needed to help you, she or he will arrive, and you should sense, like you did with this individual, whether or not it's legit---just don't get swindled. I'd love to follow your story more....peace!

I will begin by saying that I understand your frustration. I'm not a priestess, but I have had personal dealings with folks (priests as well) who claim to have been from certain traditions; I spoke to one guy who I could literally hear flipping through a book as he was giving me a 'reading'. Like with any group, you'll run into good and bad ones and ones who are experienced and rookie. What I have found out is that if she or he is unwilling to answer questions, don't waste your time and/or money; it's your life and you have the right to know about it because you are the one who's here on mission. For me, telling me I HAVE to go through an intermediary is comparable to a Christian person saying I HAVE to go through Christ to seek the Creator; that can be a red flag in some cases. I will not advise you against speaking with someone because they aren't all ill-intended, but make ABSOLUTELY, ABSOLUTELY certain to follow your gut when determining the individual's reputability and intent. Ultimately, you will have to follow your Ori; you'll need to get out into nature alone and just start appealing to the benevolent forces directly through prayer and meditation. Believe me, you will start seeing signs on your own----things that cannot be dismissed as coincidence, as they are far too personal for you. Many will seem to come from odd places and people which and who may not seem directly connected to you. Don't overlook the obvious. Before you seek out anyone, go, ALONE, out and ask those benevolent forces (Creator and ancestral) to send you someone (reputable and good-hearted) who will be, if necessary, a temporary guide along the path. The proof is in the pudding, so, if someone is needed to help you, she or he will arrive, and you should sense, like you did with this individual, whether or not it's legit---just don't get swindled. I'd love to follow your story more....peace!

I don't think he is really interested in the tradition. From what i gather from his post a speaker came to give a brief overview of the Yoruba tradition in his class, and the poster had questions. I myself can't see an elder getting 'pissed'' off because a question was asked.. but i wasn't there, i'm only reading one side, but i do wonder what TONE was used in asking the question. They say 70% of communication is non-verbal, people aren't stupid a person can sense a condescending attitude without sender realizing it.:10500:

To add ''thought are things'' your experience with people situations can often mirror what is going on internally. NO elder/priest/reader in any tradition is going to appear to prove you that this tradition is good or right, if you have a negative view of certain following then all you will encounter is experiences that supports your perspective, not he other way around... this is ESU hitting you in the back of the head telling you to WAKE UP!:whip:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back