Black People : If Our Children Don't Know Their History

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I've heard it said, and even i have said it too, that our children do not know enough of the past to make as wise as possible choices for the future. But if they do not know, it is our own fault. It is our job to teach them, make the information available to them, and help them understand it. If we fail in this task, then we can only blame ourselves.

Most of us came up through the school systems provided by the government, and know they did not teach us, and are not teaching our children, the true story.

As a result of this, the parent has to teach themselves as much as they can, and then teach their children (that's what i'm having to do).

If our children don't know the truth, and ultimately can't act accordingly, it is our own fault.

:heart:

Destee

2. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    there is much talk about Skip Gates, and the incident and what not and some folks like him and some have regarded him as an uppity bourgoise negro, however he has done great benefit to the spirit of the ancestors by archiving our legacy in his monumental Africana encyclopedia.

The spooky thing about todays parents and todays youth is that;
    Marimba Ani,
    Joy Degrew(Leary)
    Chaschie Mackintyre,
    Frances Cress Welsing,
    Arna Bontemps,
    Lerone Bennett,
    Carter G Woodson,
    John E Jackson,
    JA Rogers,
    Ivan van Sertima,
    Runoko Rashidi,
    Ian Carew,
    professor Scobie,
    Dr Ben, Dr Clarke,
    Cheik Anta Diop,
    Herodutus,
    Pythagoras,
    Chancellor Williams
    are all available 24 seven wthout haveing to goto a library since one out of 5 Black children have a Blackberry and access to our legacy on the web,
    in thier pocket or pocketbook.

Please also realize with the birth of hip hop came the death of Black discussion and enrichment television and the death of Black Talk radio.
    movies like Marva Collins, and Harriett Tubman have been replace by music videos showing our young folks acting in a way that gives the Klan great hope and pleasure,
    but something must be done to turn this around,

and just like in the late 60s it will have to come from Our young intelligencia from the universities,
    the same way Kwame Toure, Angela Davis, H Rap Brown, Bobbly Seale, and Huey P Newton did and manifested change and new ideology.

3. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    Thank you so much for this post!

I believe that when a parent helps their own children at home, then it also helps others as well. I love to see young people connect to this world through learning and discipline. I was always congratulated on how well behaved my sons were in class. When my sons were even in elementary school, they were the particular kind of students that the teachers would place in strategic places in the classroom to help the other children calm down and learn.

My youngest son use to come home sometimes and complain but, I talked to him and encouraged him and told him how he was helping the teacher as well as himself. All throughout his years and up until he graduated, he was usually that kind of student that was depended on by others for help. . . he scored extremely high on all of his national test and received other enormous benefits as well!

4. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Yes, Yes, If we don't inform our children as to what is going on, and tell them of, not only our history, but of the true history of the euro's then they will grow up in the dark. Just like most of us did.

5. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    You not only have to "teach" them their history, but you also must "show" them how it affects all of us today. Too many people think that history is just facts from the past, that they have no relevance to today. How many times do you hear a young person today say "That was in the past" or "This black/white thing is yesterday". It's there that they have no idea that yesterday helped shaped today, that the struggles of our ancestors helped make us today. So, for me, teaching history is important, but "linking" history is imperative.
    With mine, I try to use a bit of everything to achieve this goal. I try to help them understand that everything in life comes from somewhere, that it doesn't just appear. That, like me, I didn't just suddenly become 52 yrs old, but that there was 51 years before that of life. I show them pictures, tell them stories, do what I can to help them see that I am who I am because of a life I lived. But then I take it back. I show them the pictures I have of my family, share some of the stories, even ask them what they would have done in similar situations that my parents were in. Then, I show them that because times were different then, that their choice maybe would not work then because of the racial climate. Then I take it back to my grandparents, great-parents, back further & further, until they see that 400 years ago was nothing like it is today. But that along the way, little by little, growth and change was taking place, until we are here today. That is my way of connecting yesterday & today, showing them that we "old-heads" paved a way for them to be who they are today.

6. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    I agree!

A few years ago, I started showing my family historical films during the holidays for family time and it was so rewarding. So far, every December we have featured films like; Eyes on the Prize, Harriet Tubman, Buck and the Preacher, Cherokee Kid and more! It was so much different than when I grew up watching films like, Frosty the Snow Man, Snow White, Santa Claus Comes to Town, the Ten Commandments starring Charlton Heston and etc.

7. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Some black people should seize this opportunity and teach children real whole-story, instead of what's taught in the indoctrination institutions.

8. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    In this latest post integrationist era/desegregated nation:

What we need to pass along some may not want to know or understand, i. e.,
    since they are more or less on an 'a too am an american' ego/fantasy trip...

Do keep that in mind as well...

:fyi:

9. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Yes, It’s not just to teach the so call American’s history. But the history of the people, the working poor people and all the conquering wars against all people of color and the rape of our continent Africa, America, and Caribbean. The history of both the Euro, and Yankee imperialistic ideology. The conquest and world domination of land, people and all of the earth’s resources.

Not only do we need to unit in our struggle toward self determination. We need to educate our children on how to develop the mindset to create these structures and self supporting environments, so that we control our own destinies. No one will help us. we need to do it for ourselves.

10. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    If there is a need and a want to bring about new or renewed social and political consciousness among today's people of color etc.:

Also there's a need and a want for us to realize and recognize our roles as regards the sustaining of cultural and social institutions etc.

So many did and do take far too much for granted, i.e ., about their relationship to such things, and just it is a part of their responsibility to help sustain and support them...

FYI...

:SuN044: