Black People : If euros Owe Us Reparations, do we owe native americans?

Aaskënö'kêôk Kemetkind! Të'ë niyutyéê? (Greetings Kemetkind! What's happening?)

I'm no expert on such matters; only my elders have such authority, but my heart felt compelled to respond. I am a proud descendant of the resultant admixture of African and First Nation peoples. My bloodline includes the enduring lineages of West and Central Africa, as well as, the courageous Numunuu (Comanche), Unyææshæötká' (Black Minqua/Ohio Seneca) and Skarure (Tuscarora) peoples. Indeed, like so many of my relations, I am both Red and Black -the epitome of a Pan African and American Unity in the human physical form. I work with both the vodu, nkisi, orisa and egunwa from the African side and the Corn Mother, Thunderbirds, little people and ancestral spirits on the First Nation side. I sprinkle tobacco and blow smoke at the four corners, smudge with sage, cedar and sweetgrass, wash with efun, osun dudu and shea and generally attempt to carry myself in a sacred manner that brings honor to my ancestors of both worlds. I'm equally comfortable at a playing to the orisa or an intertribal powwow.

I am an Ab'orisa and Vodunsi initiate and an apprentice medicine man (Bearwalker), blessed by my 9th generation grandfather with the ability to shapeshift. I am fulfilling my blood, genetic and spiritual obligations.
Nuff said...

kemetkind said:
This topic has been on my mind since bro oldsoul's class last week where he touched on us as black people being invested in the european system when we make claims to property and/or wealth in america.
Our ancestors were enslaved and their labor helped fund the genocide of native americans in this land.
In some cases such as the buffalo soldiers we helped the european impose his will on this land.
Now, most of us benefit from that genocide especially when our living standards are contrasted with other black folk on the planet.
If we own land in this country, or we own property, should we give reparations to native americans if we are to be consistent in our expectations that we are owed reparations?
Does the fact our ancestors were oppressed and we are still dealing with oppression today ABSOLVE us from any accountability for benefiting from a stolen land?

The history of the African and First Nation person was as peculiar as that infamous institution of slavery. Sometimes, like in the case of Maroons/Seminoles, Yamasee and Natchez, they were allies - fighting a common oppressor; yet other times, their interaction was worst than the white enemy's relationship with either of them. The Cherokees, Creeks, Chickasaws, Choctaws and Seminoles are known to have enslaved Africans and reign over them in some of the most brutal and oppressive ways. Called the Five Civilized Tribes, they sought earlier on even before forced removal (Trail of Tears and Hungry Bellies) to emulate the tabu (White rabbits) and adopted many of his ways from his style of dress, housing, and religion to his ideology. Surprising enough, in the 1830's the Cherokee Nation ratified their Constitution which forbade the marriage of any Cherokee citizen to a Negro! The other groups went on to eventually adopt some law (spoken or unspoken) that seeked to disenfrachise and consider those African descent as less than. One Chickasaw individual is said to have "enslaved" more Africans than any other slaveholder in the American South; an estimated number exceeding 1000 enslaved Africans. My paternal grandfather's own people, the Comanche, would capture runaway slaves and either sell them back into slavery in Louisiana or Old Mexico. Our history is capricious at best.

The Buffalo Soldiers were African people, newly jubliant from the liberation of slavery and vogue of Africans in the Union Army, engaged in battles and skirmishes from Texas to Colorado to Nebraska to Arizona between the 1860's and 1890's. They fought my grandfather's people along with the Cheyenne, Kiowa and Arapaho at Palo Duro Canyon in ancient Kwahadi lands. Eventhough the "possible" atrocities committed by these men can not be excused, they were operating under the ever present hope that our valiance would prove our self-worth among the Big Knifes and Heavy Eyebrows. The Buffalo Soldiers earned the respect and admiration of the Cheyenne who gave them their sacred name.

Furthermore and ultimately, it should be understood that both Red and Black peoples were unwilling participants in the clash of civilizations, worlds and cultures by their staunchest enemy - the Washicu. We, as Black people, owe no more to the First Nations or their ancestors than they owe to us. Consequently, our destinies are intertwined through this science project called Amerika. One can not blame the dog for attacking another person when his master is the one who put him against the other.

Old Man Coyote once told me in dreamtime, "You wouldn't know your nose existed if it weren't on your face. You think so much like a white man." We can not allow what is obviously apparent to be missed by our perception because the white man's guilt. Our people have no power to take another's land and capitalize our its resources. Our people are still fighting to be free.

Blackbird (shaking the turtle-shelled rattle and the shekere' at the same time, holding the sacred tools of the Numunu Tuhwi society)

kemetkind said:
This topic has been on my mind since bro oldsoul's class last week where he touched on us as black people being invested in the european system when we make claims to property and/or wealth in america.

Our ancestors were enslaved and their labor helped fund the genocide of native americans in this land.

In some cases such as the buffalo soldiers we helped the european impose his will on this land.

Now, most of us benefit from that genocide especially when our living standards are contrasted with other black folk on the planet.

If we own land in this country, or we own property, should we give reparations to native americans if we are to be consistent in our expectations that we are owed reparations?

Does the fact our ancestors were oppressed and we are still dealing with oppression today ABSOLVE us from any accountability for benefiting from a stolen land?

Brother Kemetkind ... i don't have the answer to your question, but i wanna invite you to join Mr. Fuller's Elder Interview tonight. When speaking with him briefly yesterday, about his life growing up, he has LOTS to share about the Indians! OMG! You know, it doesn't take someone saying a whole lot, for me to find something in it that i didn't know ... but omg ... i didn't know about any of the stuff he shared, just in passing, about his early days and the Indians. So you won't want to miss this, and he may be able to give a new, different, or applicable perspective to your questions.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back