Black People : If Blacks stopped killing blacks... what would happen?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kadijah, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    People are constantly talking about black on black killings and how blacks need to stop killing blacks (as if whites don't kill white and Asians don't kill Asians, etc.) Decided to google around for some FACTS:

So 1,092 deaths were black children (2009 was the latest I could find figures for). The black population of the U.S. is 40,000,000. Thus, black children killing black children is LESS than a percent of a percent of blacks in the U.S.

In short, 1% of 40 million is 400,000. 1,092 is 1% of 1% of.....

Btw, even if that 1,092 figure has gone up 3 fold in 2013 from 1,092 to 3,276, it STILL comes out to 1% of 1% of the total population.

So the question is: If black teens stopped killing each other, today, what kind of shape would black America be in? Would we better prepared to fight racism? What?
    [/quote]

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,729
    we would be better off for sure…...

3. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    From report:

Gun injuries for Black children was ~7,000 . . ..

Gun homocide is leading cause of death for Black teens 15-19.

Regarding analysis:

40 million is the approximate population of African people in America, but not the approximate population of African children.

Black homicide deaths need not be entirely intraracial.

Black Youth Deaths lower Black Birthrates; i.e. a family of 3 children becomes a family of 2. This makes a propagation of 1.5 into 1.0. Which is low for a race with a future.

The number is multiplied by 19 because it's over a 19 year period.

Regarding Question:

"If black teens stopped killing each other, today, what kind of shape would black America be in? Would we better prepared to fight racism? What?"

Though we may not be the predominant killers of ourselves, our injuries and deaths are nothing light. The police technically don't kill many Africans yet the effects of their domination on our struggle is evident. We'd need to dismiss that if we would dismiss this supposed greater self-inflicted death toll.

Just because one isn't killed or injured doesn't mean one isn't threatened, turned away, violated, or damaged. A man can do an armed robbery without firing a shot; a man can rape at gunpoint without a bullet lost; a man can enslave another and never kill anyone. The numbers don't tell the stories.

4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    How? What would black America look like if those 1,092 kids were still alive? Would they be fighting against racism and black oppression, what?

5. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    If you wish to talk about a 19 year period instead of the one-year period stated in the OP, start up a thread talking about it. :)

Who gives a crap??! I asked a question. Either answer it or START YOUR OWN THREAD so that you may appea.....

**sigh**.

You ever hear of a STRAWMAN ARGUMENT? That's all your post consists of. Out of all this verbiage, you have yet to answer the question posed in the OP.... And all who have fallen victim to your 'lookit me! lookit me!' hot air pontification know why.:10400:

6. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Since no one can answer the question, I guess we won't be seeing any more nonsense about "we've got to stop blacks killing blacks" as if it's a solution to the problems that beset the black community. :news:

psssst! Notice - not a WORD about rapes, robberies, just "blacks killing blacks."

7. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    The mathematical statement you are making isn't mathematically sound. You're taking one-year of homicides on Black children and comparing them to the whole Black population. Then you're claiming that it's 1% of 1%. It is, but you're not taking into account that children live for more than one year and you're also not taking into account that not every African in America is a child.

Technically, 19-years of homicide ought to be taken into account; and technically only the Black children's population is relevant. Of course, that's only to get the wider picture of how 1,000 homicides is a lot. For another comparison, consider how many lynchings there were.

I did answer the question.

I have heard of a strawman argument. But what about it? I answered the question.

The question has too many flaws. None of us know who the 1,000 are. However, if it pleases you, "There will be more Black people. We would be more prepared."

8. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Do you realize how absolutely foolish the above reads? 1,092 deaths don't count because they happened in one year. Thanks for telling me. Oh, and tell that to the parents of those 1,092 kids. I'm sure they'll appreciate that because their kid died in 2009, s/he doesn't count.

Btw, in 2009, the whole population of blacks was 40,000,000. 1,092 black teens out of 40 million blacks total were killed.

I'm not claiming anything. Ask someone to do the math for you.

Reading comprehension is fundamental. Children live for more than one year..... (it's hard dealing with this nonsense, truly). Uh, most of those 1092 (prolly 1091) were older than 1 year old.

What nonsense is this? There are 40 Million black PEOPLE in America. Children and adults alike are included in that figure. (SMH)

:nuts:

Why would I consider lynchings when the subject is blacks killing blacks?

pssst! And no matter how you trying to Strawman it, :hammer: the subject will REMAIN "Blacks killing Blacks."

Really? I missed it. What would happen in blacks stop killing blacks? How would it affect black America's fight against racism, oppression, hayle, literacy!? Refresh whatever answer you gave in your mind.

How would we be better prepared and for what?

J/k. You have no answer. It's all good.

9. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation
    of an opponent's position.

To "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw man argument" is to describe
    a position that superficially resembles an opponent's actual view but is
    easier to refute, then attribute that position to the opponent (for
    example, deliberately overstating the opponent's position).

A straw man argument can be a successful rhetorical technique (that is,
    it may succeed in persuading people) but it carries little or no real
    evidential weight, because the opponent's actual argument (regarding my
    question with related comment) has not been refuted.

10. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    This is your strawman. I do not write that 2009 deaths don't count. I write that the last 19 years count to see the toll homocide takes on Black youth over the course of their youth.

Yes, but it's a basic lesson in fractions. Your numerator is "Black Teens" but your denominator is "Blacks total." What are you trying to show by mismatching numerators and denominators.

Sigh . . .. You wrote how 1% of 1% . . ..

Sigh . . .. Rather than supposing others can't read, read carefully. Your question relates to the toll of homicide on Black youth. You show one year. That's an invalid comparison UNLESS Black youth only live for one year.

Yes, but not in the figure of homicide related deaths. Basic fractions. Numerator must match denominator. Basic, basic fractions.

To get perspective.

That is the subject you want it to be, but it's not the subject you presented. You presented no figures for Blacks killing Blacks. You presented figures for Blacks dying by gun violence.

You spend too much time thinking of ways to show another person up but not enough time thinking of how you can express yourself.

You did not present an argument for what you have expressed.

Sigh . . ..

Sigh . . ..