Black Men : Ideas for Side Hustles

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by NyneElementz, Feb 20, 2013.

1. NyneElementz

NyneElementz Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    Brothers,

Destee had a point with the post that said we are willing to work, but it seems like we're set up to fail. But I think we will only be trapped by others if that's what we allow to happen. So here's my idea:

In this thread, I want us men to use our creativity and knowledge to post legal ideas that any of our brothers can use to earn money, even in their community and share updated info about those ideas.

Surely the way others make for us aren't the only ways we've got, right?

2. NyneElementz

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    Idea : Candy Man

Some of you parents might disagree but you can sell snacks and candy from your house. All you need (from my vantage point, anyway) is a wholesale warehouse membership like Sam's to purchase bulk size snacks and candies, then undercut all the convenience stores nearby. You can always start with a few snacks in a bag that kids like, then build up to having household name candy among them. Get some good word of mouth going for you, and your business should begin to build nicely over 2 years.

Got the idea from an old neighbor that used to be the neighborhood candy lady.

3. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Idea:

Car repair and sales..

You'd be amazed how many folks end up buying new cars or resort to public transportation over very very simple repair problems.. mostly Starters, Alternators, Thermostats and Radiators.. all of which can be very easily replaced. I did pretty well just buying, repairing and selling. Learning about body repair can greatly increase your profits.. and also.. if the tags on the car are current, that increases the value.

Idea:

Sad to say it.. but in this single woman led household culture we live in many of the things that a man would do if he was there are now out on the open market.. so car repair, detailing.. basic plumbing.. meaning.. fixing drain clogs, repairing and installing toilets and sinks, etc.. Hauling garbage.. moving furniture.. Simple roof repairs.. Yardwork.. Painting (internal and external)... computer repair.. electronics setup and install... and even mentoring/coaching/training their sons..

The whole challenge is to find a way to over-ride the family-instinct and do the stuff for free!... that was my problem.. everybody looked like my aunt or my cousin or something.. so I had a hard time charging 'em.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I totally agree with this and there are plenty of women, like me, who would like to have someone skilled and reliable they can call on to help with house and car repairs. Unfortunately, I've had some unfavorable experiences with some who claimed they knew how to do something and really didn't know, or tried and did a half-*** job. I've had house repairs and car repairs done that were jacked up, causing me to have to turn to commercial dealers and have to pay more money to fix the problem and then hear them go on and on about how whoever worked on it before didn't know what they were doing.

Whatever you do, take pride in your work and strive to provide the best service possible because your customer-base will multiply exponentially. I would pay well, a person who could do these things and do them well and who is dependable. I would be the person's greatest advertisement. Also, I would like to have someone that I trust and who trusts me, who could help me shop around so that I could avoid being seen as a target and getting ripped off with astronomical prices or paying for things that I don't need.

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

The Destee Network is on the way, and will provide a connection point from which the various ideas and suggestions followed up on can be launched; creating real networking possibilities.

Peace In,

6. NyneElementz

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    Idea:

Money management classes: if you're good at handling your money, some brothers can use a good money saving technique, smart shopping techniques, etc. Home finances are a challenge, and I think many brothas need some guidance and encouragement especially in this life area.

7. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    Club bouncer - done it
    Blood Bank
    Donating Plasma - done it
    Donating Sperm
    Taking surveys - done it
    Furniture mover - done it
    Recycle copper / Metal / aluminum - done it
    Hauling away scrap appliances like dishwashers, stoves, bicycles, refrigerators, sinks etc
    if you could fix and repair it does bring income. - done it
    Paper route,- done it- & even if you dont have a route or car, you can roll/ throw papers for those that do plus you could insert weekend sales for them.
    Shuttle service at an airport using your own vehicle - done it
    Day labor temp services- done it
    Furnace cleaning - done it
    Lanscaping, painting - done it

I hope this helps anyone who it can.
    I have done quite a few of these to make extra income, it wont make you a rich man and arent the best ideas but as I told a partner of mine when he turned his nose up at a couple of my hustles "bro, i'd rather be humbled and fed, than too proud and hungry".