Black People : IDA B. WELLS ON THE CONVICT LEASE CAMPS...

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
http://www.alexanderstreet6.com/wasm/wasmrestricted/ibw/chap3.htm

African Americans, if you have any doubts about the purpose of the Prison Industrial Complex, please read this chapter written by Ida B. Wells Barnett, one of the great movers and shakers among human rights advocates for African Americans of the late 19th and early 20th centuries... Here she lays out why African Americans were shunted off into prisons and work camps at that time... To perpetuate the exploitation of our cheap labor, to control what was known as "Masterless" African men, though fully 25% of those victimized by this wicked system were African children, thrown into prison with fully grown men!

Read it, but do not weep about it... Our struggle continues...

Peace!
isaiah

Isaiah said:
http://www.alexanderstreet6.com/wasm/wasmrestricted/ibw/chap3.htm

African Americans, if you have any doubts about the purpose of the Prison Industrial Complex, please read this chapter written by Ida B. Wells Barnett, one of the great movers and shakers among human rights advocates for African Americans of the late 19th and early 20th centuries... Here she lays out why African Americans were shunted off into prisons and work camps at that time... To perpetuate the exploitation of our cheap labor, to control what was known as "Masterless" African men, though fully 25% of those victimized by this wicked system were African children, thrown into prison with fully grown men!

Read it, but do not weep about it... Our struggle continues...

Peace!
isaiah

More on this terrible system, and how it impacted on children, from Mrs. Selena Butler... Keep in mind that at the turn of the century, more than 25% of those on the chain gangs down south were children... There was estimated to be more than 30,000 African Americans on these chain gangs, more formally known as Convict Lease Camps...

Peace!
Isaiah

http://www.alexanderstreet6.com/wasm/wasmrestricted/nacw/doc5.htm

Thank you for the posting

Brother I,
Thank you for this posting. The whole site is deep and I am working my way thru it. There is much there that I have not seen before and you know I've read a lot on this subject. We have had such terrible things done to us and its very painful to read, but I am uplifted and encouraged by the bravery and courage demonsrated by the MANY who fought back, documented and refused to give up. I count you among them.

I scanned the information because I can't muster up the courage to read it without tearing up. I'll have to read it when I feel far less emotional about the subject. From what I did read though, I can't help but wonder whether it's even realistic to think that we could ever forget to the point that we pretend it never happened and that we, as Black people, have reached this higher level of consciousness such that our greatest goal is to just live in peace with our oppressors.

Your sister in the struggle...
Queenie :spinstar:

thankz for this as i continue to read my way through this deep heartfelt and broken thing
how we was taken in this camps and the sorrow that cries out from these millions of
children...........deep stuff i never had a chance to read .

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back