Black People : IDA B. WELLS ON THE CONVICT LEASE CAMPS...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    http://www.alexanderstreet6.com/wasm/wasmrestricted/ibw/chap3.htm

African Americans, if you have any doubts about the purpose of the Prison Industrial Complex, please read this chapter written by Ida B. Wells Barnett, one of the great movers and shakers among human rights advocates for African Americans of the late 19th and early 20th centuries... Here she lays out why African Americans were shunted off into prisons and work camps at that time... To perpetuate the exploitation of our cheap labor, to control what was known as "Masterless" African men, though fully 25% of those victimized by this wicked system were African children, thrown into prison with fully grown men!

Read it, but do not weep about it... Our struggle continues...

Peace!
    isaiah

2. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

More on this terrible system, and how it impacted on children, from Mrs. Selena Butler... Keep in mind that at the turn of the century, more than 25% of those on the chain gangs down south were children... There was estimated to be more than 30,000 African Americans on these chain gangs, more formally known as Convict Lease Camps...

Peace!
    Isaiah

http://www.alexanderstreet6.com/wasm/wasmrestricted/nacw/doc5.htm

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Thank you for the posting

Brother I,
    Thank you for this posting. The whole site is deep and I am working my way thru it. There is much there that I have not seen before and you know I've read a lot on this subject. We have had such terrible things done to us and its very painful to read, but I am uplifted and encouraged by the bravery and courage demonsrated by the MANY who fought back, documented and refused to give up. I count you among them.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I scanned the information because I can't muster up the courage to read it without tearing up. I'll have to read it when I feel far less emotional about the subject. From what I did read though, I can't help but wonder whether it's even realistic to think that we could ever forget to the point that we pretend it never happened and that we, as Black people, have reached this higher level of consciousness such that our greatest goal is to just live in peace with our oppressors.

Your sister in the struggle...
    Queenie :spinstar:

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    thankz for this as i continue to read my way through this deep heartfelt and broken thing
    how we was taken in this camps and the sorrow that cries out from these millions of
    children...........deep stuff i never had a chance to read .

6. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Things like this make me wonder sometimes and ask the infamous "what if" questions.

What if there were no such thing as "white" people, how would the world be different?

What if there were never any such thing as slaves or enslavement, where would Black people be today and what would their lives be like?

I wonder....

Queenie :spinstar:

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Thank you Brother Isaiah ... and there are those that say we should put this behind us, simply forget.

I'm thankful right now, even more so, for the Sisters that took the time to document these experiences, lest we do forget. It was even mentioned in the 2nd link that it would be blotted from the records of Georgia.

One sentence especially stood out to me, in the 1st link, "The details of vice, cruelty and death thus fostered by the states whose treasuries are enriched thereby, equals anything from Siberia." Reparations should be ours, and it should come from the United States Government. If they want to recoup some of their losses from private corporations, citizens, etc., that they allowed to profit by these means, that's on them. They allowed all of this to be, and they should be held accountable.

:heart:

Destee

9. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Destee, thanks for this insight into the connection with REPARATIONS! In fact, the connection between what you said in your post, and what Queenie said in hers, is something that has been on my mind recently... That is why I have attempted to bring a lot of our early post-slavery/Reconstruction/Jim Crow history to this board... It helps me, and hopefully others, to understand WHY African Americans have no progressed to levels beyond what we know today...

Convict Leasing is just one of the artifices used by our wonderful White Brethren to see to it that we would not only NOT progress, but that we would be held in bondage for as longs they could exploit our labor without a major fuss being made about it... That is why they stripped African Americans of all of our political rights in the 1890s - so that they could keep us at their mercy, and that would be supported by the laws of the land...

So, Destee, thanks for bringing to light the economics of this thing, and Queenie, for ruminating on just where Africans might be were we allowed to pursue our destinies as every other group was allowed... Looking at all of the independent and Prosperous towns African Americans developed in the early part of the last century, it is clear to me that we would literally be an Nation within a Nation, and our economic resources, and business enterprises would make others look on in envy... How can I make such a claim??? Well, if something like Tulsa, and other small African businesses triggered the kind of hatred and hysteria they did, imagine what we could've done had our progress not been impeeded... Our case for reparations, Destee, is going to unveil and divulge a great deal of this history in the years to come... If the attorneys need a researcher, I wanna put in my bid now(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    People like INDYA NEED to read this thread...

Anyone who thinks that with the so-called Emancipation Proclamation Slavery ENDED, they are embarrassingly bereft of knowledge, wisdom, and understanding of the brutal post-slavery period when thousands of African Americans died being worked to death in Convict Lease Camps... As the article points out, more than 25% of these were children - babies being worked to death like dogs...

You can FOOL fools, but you can't even fool a fool who's eyes are open...

Peace!
    Isaiah