Destee's Thoughts I Work For You

Discussion in 'Destee's Thoughts' started by Destee, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hello Family,

First, let me thank you for going above and beyond. Thank You.

I want you all to know that i labored over how to approach and implement this transition from free to fee based a long time. Whew! This has been quite difficult, feeling so vulnerable, afraid that no one would respond. That i would make this request and be left out here alone. That's frightening Family.

Some of you know how i have lamented over this. I wasn't sure what to do. Thank you all for being patient with me, letting me work it out inside myself. As you can see, i ultimately decided on asking for contributions. Even my contribution plea has been criticized, some saying, "you don't want to sound like you're begging." But let me tell yall ... for me, asking for help is difficult to do, and it sounds like begging no matter how i twist it ... but i believe some things are worth asking for ... i've always been upfront, honest, and real with everyone. To try and twist my words or concerns, in an attempt to paint the picture other than what it is, makes no sense to me. I need your help and there's no easy way to make it appear other than that.

You know what though Family? I've not been left alone, which is the reason for this thread! :)

Those of you who have helped and will help, you know what? I work for you!!!!! :) You're making it possible that i be here, managing this community, spending my time answering your questions, maintaining our foundation, planning, building, for all 3000+ of us, it is a full time job ... this is the most costly item, my time, and you all help pay for that time by contributing your money to this community! So ... uuhhhh ... Boss, would you like a cup of tea ... :coffee: ... :)

Surely everyone knows, i have to go above and beyond, for those who go above and beyond for me, for this community. I receive all the contributions. I know who has sacrificed greatly to help me. I am honored and indebted to you all.

Everything that we currently enjoy in this community will always be available to everyone who joins us, but if there is an opportunity for me to give some extra to those who have given extra to me, i am going to do that. I have to do that. That is required of me. There is no way around that.

So in that vein, i will add the little extras to this thread, as i can provide them. At this point, these will be things that don't cost us any more money, 'cause we don't have no money. As time passes and we are more abundantly blessed, the extras will reflect that.

This is really a wonderful thing, me working for those who pay to keep this community alive. I have employers! My employers are Sisters and Brothers from around the world !!! My employers love me!!!! I love my Employers !!!!! :) My employers know they have a Sister for an employee, so they aint tripp'n (don't yall be try'n ta fire me if i'm a few minutes late!) ... yall know i need a raise! ... uuhhhhh Boss ... that tea cup empty over there ??? :coffee: :wink:

It really is a pleasure to work for all of you. If you enjoy the work being done here, recognize the value in it, want this community to remain, help your Sister keep it going, by making a contribution. Thanks.

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Little Extras For My Employers

Extra Number One - a link under your name, in every thread that you post, indicating that you are a Financial Supporter of this community. In addition, i post a personal thank you in the "List of Contributors" forum. Truly, i am honored that you'd be so kind and generous to me and this community. I want everyone to know who you are, and that you've gone above and beyond for this community.

Extra Number Two - an "M" next to your name in voice chat. this will allow you to send private messages while in voice chat. i will PM you with your username and password. When you log into chat, instead of entering "nickname" click on "Members Login" and enter your username and password.

Destee

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    wow ! bless your heart .....
    i personally can go on & on
    about u and all u have done
    already to give us the beauty
    and home to have to give back
    a small token is what family do
    sorry I work for u.....................

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    nope My $$RICH$$NESS ... not this time ... you have been here from the beginning, helping me to build ... and then when i asked for more help, financial help, you gave it ... from the beginning you have been with me, and you're still with me (which says a lot, since you and i are the only 2 original Mods left!), and i hope you never leave me ... no Boss ... put your feet up ... and drank this hot tea! :coffee: ... don't make me pour it down your throat ... Sir :)

Destee

5. msluciousb

msluciousb Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed, Business Consultant
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'ts on the way...

I feel ya! It has been rough for me having had five surgeries this year, so this will be truly a sacrifice, but I am sending it, as I am so super paranoid over the internet, I know you understand, but trust and believe I will do it this week and I am in your corner cause you gave me a place to be me!
    Blessings On Ya House!
    * holla I may be able to do something for ya on my new site as well!

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    very lovely of u
    but sorry no can do
    i can't mix with the greatness and power u
    pose'd like the gift of a sweet gentle rose
    i came in bond from the love of my heart
    i worked for u from the start
    boss i can never be but love u can ask me
    so my token was from heart to a worthy cause
    nope !
    sorry
    i can't accept the tea
    this house was built by masterminds i'm just a brick layer.

i love u for u and all u have gave to see us do what we do today
    and then u add more to the core and spices too give dis place
    a shinning light and i am just part of the hope and dream.
    thank u but no thank u this time.....smiles

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    MsLusciousB ... Thank You Sister !!! :love:

I have so much hope for us, for this community. We are already doing so many great works! So many great things are happening here. Our youth and our elders from around the world, coming together, peace, love, harmony, respect, building, embracing ... i could easily go on and on ... but i think i'm preaching to the choir right now ... :) @ MsLusciousB ... Thank you Sister for being willing to sacrifice with me to make this happen! ... uuhhh ... i mean ... Thank You Boss !!! :wink:

My $$RICH$$NESS ... i don't know what i'd do without you. You are much more than a brick layer in this community, and you know that! Thank you for being here, giving so much, helping make it all a reality.

Destee

8. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    yall know i need a raise! ... uuhhhhh Boss ... that tea cup empty over there ???

Well let me say. I'm glad I could help.. every little bit helps. Posting on DESTEE is like drinking 32 oz of coffee a day. I know I use to do that. Now I'm down to two cups.. STIIILL NEEURVOOUS. Getting better. Wan't some more tea...

9. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Sista Destee,

As a follow-on from your post here:http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51987

I got to thinking....what does "I Work For You" really mean?

I was thinking originally about two contexts.

1.) For whose benefit do I personally go out and deal with this world the best I can every day?

That's easy, my family.

2.) Then there is, who other than me benefits economically from the work that I do every day?

That's easy too, at a base level, it's my own clients and my employer and my employer's clients.

So I guess I work for them too in that sense.

Thing is, that second scenario doesn't fit with the one you paint for us in this thread.

As a member of this site, where I login and post daily, I take $$ earned elsewhere, and use them to financially help support this site.

In exchange the site's owner keeps the site online and running smoothly, and I am able to continue posting.

But isn't that sorta different from the site's owner working for me?

For a client or an employer whom I work for, they pay me.

In exchange, they get to direct my activities for a set time period each day, for as long as they are paying me....their primary goal being to generate more wealth for themselves.

Here, you're saying you work for me. But while I may pay you for services, I don't do it with any goal of being able to generate more wealth for myself.

Wouldn't the ability for me to generate wealth for myself need to exist for the arrangement to be classified as you working for me?

Also, consider that I don't direct your activities in exchange for any payment.

I don't for instance say, here is a payment, I want you to add a new feature to the site.

Instead it's more like, I make a donation, and I agree to abide by the rules of the site, and if I don't, I might lose my ability to visit the site, and the site's owner retains the donation.

Not saying any of that is wrong, i'm just wondering...is there an element of romanticism about the business arrangement taking place here?

If I go to the barber and get a haircut, does my barber work for me? Or does he work for himself?

What if my barber stopped cutting my hair so well....tried giving me fades with outdated clippers, started to charge more than other barbers, started missing appointments.

Does the very fact that he chooses to open the doors and accept my money MEAN that he works for me?

Or would I be justified in going to a different barber because my old barber was in REALITY working for his own business and simply providing a service which I could either decide to patronize....or not.

Just a few musings I had about this whole concept.