Black History Culture : I used to lead tours at a plantation. You won’t believe the questions I got about slavery

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

I used to lead tours at a plantation. You won’t believe the questions I got about slavery

Up until about a year ago, I worked at a historic site in the South that included an old house and a nearby plantation. My job was to lead tours and tell guests about the people who made plantations possible: the slaves.

The site I worked at most frequently had more than 100 enslaved workers associated with it— 27 people serving the household alone, outnumbering the home's three white residents by a factor of nine. Yet many guests who visited the house and took the tour reacted with hostility to hearing a presentation that focused more on the slaves than on the owners ...

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/29/8847385/what-i-learned-from-leading-tours-about-slavery-at-a-plantation

[​IMG]

The Old Plantation (Slaves Dancing on a South Carolina Plantation), ca. 1785-1795. | Attributed to John Rose

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

Louisiana families begin digging into their family history, find they are descendants of slaves sold by Georgetown University

Growing up in tiny Maringouin, Jessica Tilson often heard that everyone in town was somehow related.

The 34-year-old Southern University student brushed off the statements as just a colloquial expression for the kinship residents living in the quaint Iberville Parish town felt toward one another ...

http://theadvocate.com/news/1603356...ory-find-they-are-descendants-of-slaves-sold-

[​IMG]

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

How close we are to slavery: America’s horrible legacy still deeply runs through the nation’s veins
    For Lula Williams, America's worst period isn't ancient history — her grandmother was a slave

As a child growing up in South Carolina, I was keenly aware of how close I was to the history of slavery. It was all around me — in the fact of my ancestors owning slaves and fighting for the Confederacy, in the presence of black people who shared my last name, and in the Confederate battle flag that flew on my state’s capitol ...

http://www.salon.com/2016/06/19/how..._still_deeply_runs_through_the_nations_veins/

[​IMG]
    Lulu Williams (Credit: Jack Shuler)

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

On The Free State Of Jones

...“Free State of Jones” is based on a true story of interracial resistance to the Confederacy in Civil War Mississippi. It is the story of how a white farmer from humble origins named Newton Knight came to see how the Confederacy favored the rich planters at the expense of men and women like himself and chose to organize a rebellion aimed at establishing a terrain of freedom, a “free state,” in the county of Jones ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/free-state-of-jones_us_57683879e4b0fbbc8beb38ba

[​IMG]
    STX ENTERTAINMENT
    Mahershala Ali and Matthew McConaughey in “€œFree State of Jones.”

5. Chidike

Chidike Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +107
    I see Trollywood still trying to show whites as innocent.....slowly institute a "forgiving" mindstate....smh...lol

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

Your peripheral vision is 20/20.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
  8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

Prosecutor: 'Mississippi Burning' civil rights case closed

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — One day short of the 52nd anniversary of three civil rights workers' disappearance during Mississippi's "Freedom Summer," state and federal prosecutors said Monday that the investigation into the slayings is over ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prosecutor-mississippi-burning-civil-rights-case-closed-162233771.html

[​IMG]
    FILE - On June 29, 1964, the FBI began distributing these pictures of civil rights workers, from left, Michael Schwerner, 24, of New York, James Cheney, 21, from Mississippi, and Andrew Goodman, 20, of New York, who disappeared near Philadelphia, Miss., June 21, 1964. The investigation into the infamous slayings of three civil rights workers in Mississippi is finally closed, the state’s attorney general said Monday, June 20, 2016, 53 years almost to the day after the young men disappeared during “Freedom Summer.”The three civil rights workers, part of the "Freedom Summer" program, were abducted, killed and buried in an earthen dam in rural Neshoba County. (AP Photo/FBI, File)

9. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    Stone Mountain Historical Attraction Tours

Sacred ground, landmark, refuge, meeting place, home: Stone Mountain has been many things to many people. Discover the past and present of Stone Mountain through a customized Historical Tour.

The Plantation
    Stroll through over 100 years of Georgia history at the Plantation. Original buildings, gardens, historic breed farm animals and the largest collection of 19th century antiques in the state tell the story of the diversity of life in the region from the colonial period through the Civil War and beyond.

Let Stone Mountain Park design a Plantation visit for your group! Join a costumed historian who will bring the period of your choice to life with one of the following programs:

• Colonial Georgia: What was Georgia like just after the American Revolution? Join us at the 18th century Thornton House and learn about the gentry, the backwoodsmen and their closest neighbors, the Cherokee and the Creek Indian nations.
    • Pioneer and Antebellum Life: Learn about the daily lives of residents from Georgia’s “Pioneer Period” up to the dawn of the Civil War.
    • Civil War in Georgia: This program highlights the Atlanta campaign and the effect of the war on civilians.
    1. Historical Attraction Tours - Stone Mountain Park
      www.stonemountainpark.com/Groups/General/Historical-Attraction-Tours - 22k - Cached - Similar pages
      Discover the past and present of Stone Mountain through a customized Historical Tour.

10. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528