Black People : I totaled my car this weekend

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Fieldpea, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Fieldpea

Fieldpea Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +778
    It's is a blessing that I came away from that kind of nightmare with nothing worse (physically) than a dislocated thumb(?)/broken thumb(?)--I ain't sure which it is---I only know that my jacked up hand is making my day to day life difficult (including typing). If it wasn't for my seat belt and the airbag, I'd have suffered dramatically worse injuries--maybe even death (one half of my car is totaled, and I mean SQUISHED!).

I ran a red light like an idiot. Wound up playing vehicle gladiator in my Hyundai Accent with a truck--a 1500. The truck won. The other driver was not hurt, but I swear my car's front end and passenger side now looks like it was crushed by some big footed giant!

Have any of you ever been involved in a major accident of some kind before? What happened to you?

One Love, and PEACE

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    get your hand looked at….

3. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    i am glad you made it out without a scratch or anything major rather. but in 2003 was my last and only car accident. my car skidded on ice (this was in the month of december) and hit the other car from the side. no one was hurt but my car did not make it. i had a 1995 ford aspire and i forgot what kind of car the other person had, but it was a lot nicer and newer than mine for sure.

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

First of all, thank Goddess/God that you are alive with minor damage.

I totaled my first car, a Ford Pinto, at the age of 18 going home after a high school basketball game. I was cruising not speeding, made a bad move, resulting in running into a meridian dividing a freeway exit, doing a 360, flying over the shoulder and hitting a pole with my rear end. In a Pinto which was notorious for the exploding gas tank. I still have back and knee problems from that accident, and after a woman ran into me in Las Vegas give years ago, one of the first things I did after moving back to LA is I stopped driving. I am now Metro Man. Take care sister Fieldpea.

5. Fieldpea

United States
    Ratings:
    +778

How long did it take you to get over the fear of riding in a car? Yeah. My son came to pick me up after the cops issued me my citation and the tow truck took my car and dude's truck away.

I tried not to show it--my kid was already upset over what *could* have happened to me--but I was TERRIFIED during that entire ride home! I was *anxious* to make sure that he saw every sign and direction.

I find I'm now scared of the thought of being the passenger in any car (of all things). In my head, I know I'm being stupid already (needing to feel in control while in a car), but these *instant fears* surprise me! Irrational!

I've been going thru flashbacks. Thank the Creator that I've not had any nightmares about it--just the flashbacks (day mares). Being out of control of a car and crashing is a serious drag. So VIOLENT!

I feel like I just missed buying the farm.

One Love, and PEACE

6. Fieldpea

United States
    Ratings:
    +778

Today! I've kept it Ace bandaged and iced it. I already get 5% Lidocaine cream for my lower back and legs, and it has helped some (especially when I inadvertently bump my hand up against something), but I suspect I need it x-rayed.

Maybe stabilized (pro wrapped).

One Love, and PEACE

7. Fieldpea

United States
    Ratings:
    +778

Thank you, Omo. As it happens, I have a metro card, good for all buses and the light rail (trains) until January of 2015! If I decide not to buy another car (very likely), then between free cab rides to doctor's appointments (a health plan benefit), and the buses/trains, I'll have to get by the same way as you now do.

I know I'll miss my ride though--especially for grocery shopping (sigh).

One Love, and PEACE

8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

Go to the hospital! You could have ligament damage, internal bleeding, or other complications. Such as, it may be more than your thumb. This isnt anything to play with.

I was picking up my son. I was early, so I stopped at a local university to chill and read the paper. When it was time, I pulled out into the street. I saw this guy coming like a bat outta hell in my rear view. So I stayed in the middle lane, ASSuming he would go around. He ASSuned I would continue over. He slammed into my rear doing about 70. He went airborne. Finally being stopped by a tree. My rear end was smashed, but drivable. He, of course, was totalled

9. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    Hopefully, you'll be going to midnite service/mass this xmas

10. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Sister Fieldpea, I am sure you will adjust as needed. I just got back from grocery shopping myself.

I have had three separate incidents of running into poles and should be dead by now. Lost count how many times drivers have run into me do I only miss driving when I want to go out on weekends. But walking to and from the metro stops is great exercise and sometimes I just take bus rides to Malibu or Xuma beach, or the Blue Line to Long Beach to chill. Very much less stressful than dealing with gridlock. Wishing you a speedy recovery!