Black People : I Think I've Been Discriminated Against

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ledda, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Ledda

Ledda Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I would just like to know how some of ya'll would've handled this situation.

I had taken my dog to the vet earlier today. I've been really concerned about her for the last week because she hasn't been eating well. She's a 10 month old rot. Two weeks ago she got caught up in her tie out cord and it was knotted around her stomach, just infront of her hind legs. It was so tight that she snapped at me when I was trying to take it off. Only a few days ago did I notice that it actually left a cut from the start of one side all the way across her stomach and had become infected. Here's what happened.

After giving her an antibiotic shot, some antibiotics for me to take home (not for the cut, she has an uterine infection), some wound gel for the cut, testing her for heart worms, giving her her last set of shots and tags the total came up to $85.15. The two times I've been in there before I've paid with cash. I'm going to St. Louis this weekend and wanted to keep the cash I had on hand so I wrote a check. The elderly lady there looked at my check a real long time. Keep in mind that two white women before me wrote checks without any problems. She questioned me about my last name on my driver's license and my check because the name they have on file for me is my maiden name and I've only been married a little over a yr. and a half. I told her she needed to change the last name. Then she asks as if I were some flippin little child, "Now you do have the money in the bank for this don't you?" right in front of a room full of none other than white people. I responded, "Yes, I have it." Then she says, "Well, I don't know. We've been having a lot of trouble with checks." I was mad now because I'm trying to hold my dog who's trying to get to other dogs in the room and I had my hands full with other things. I was late for work. I'd never had a bad check there before, this would've been my first time writing one. So I snapped back at her, "I can pay with cash!" She says, "Would you, please?" So I got out my cash and handed her the money.

I had a mix of different emotions. Embarrassment was one of them. Anger, of course. I wanted to say, "Let me tell you a thing or two, lady...." but I just left. I have another appointment to follow up with my dog to see if her infection has cleared, but I'm seriously thinking of looking for another vet. I like the veterinarian and he has the most reasonable rates in town, but this lady was way out of line and unprofessional. I intend on writing a letter to the vet telling him why I no longer want to be a customer.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Yes were definately discriminated against. If the woman doubted your check, she could have called the bank to verify funds. There was no need for her to ask you is there money in the bank (as if you'd say NO if there wasn't). I would have walked out, but since you didn't, complain to the doctor or whoever is in charge of the clinic. I'd also definately get a new Vet as well!

3. Ledda

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not sure there is a corporate head. I think it's a little family owned thing. I did walk out, but I had to pay first.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Write the local papers and tell them about your experience with that clinic. If they have HMO, write a letter of complaint to them. Lastly, and most importantly find another Vet. Tell eveyone you know to do the same. Unfortunately we can't change everyone's opinion of us, but we can stop financially supporting people who look down on us.

5. Ledda

Ratings:
    +4
    That's a good idea about the writing the newspaper. I was also thinking that if i didn't get a satifactory response from the vet, I'd write the Better Business Bureau.

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

SISTER Ledda, yes, all of the signs of discrimmination are obvious to me... I think I would've asked the woman if any of those "trouble" checks had my name on them, and insisted she take my check before I SCREAMED discrimmination before she could even answer my question(smile!)

My policy in situations like that - when I've faced them - is to walk away, and not spend my money with folks like that... I then file a complaint with management, letting them know that I will not only NOT spend my dollars with them, but I will let the state attorney general, as well as, my friends know that your store discrimminates against Black folks... I think African Americans should know that white folks understand that we SPEND more money than just about any group in the United States, and their greatest fear is that we will stop spending our money with them...

Sister, if you can find some solution with the vet, that is fine... If he insists that nothing was amiss, and refuses to apologize for his clerk's attitude, then finding another vet may be your only recourse... Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of African American vets out there, and there's no guarantee we're even going to get great service from them if there were... However, do not let what this clerk did go unpunished... If you do, she will probably get even bolder. You got to take back the power to abuse from her...

Peace!
    Isaiah

7. FiveAlive

FiveAlive Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Simple situation. You say something to the person in charge there. He/ she may be unaware of what his employees are doing and would appreciate being informed. There's no need to make threats. If you are unsatisfied with the response that you receive, then take your business elsewhere. If you feel so compelled, then write a letter to the newspaper and/or BBB. Keep in mind though, that if it gets to that level, the vet will say that it was just a misunderstanding that got blown out of proportion. He'll have all sorts of loyal customers (like yourself) that will come along and say how wonderful he is, how much he cares for their pets and how great his rates are. Free publicity for him. Getting all agitated and causing a scene only hurts one person--you.

8. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Indeed sister you were discriminated against. Obviously this Vet is accustomed to handling checks so they could have check to see if you were on the bad check list or verified your funds or she didn't have to identify you by name, she could have checked your social all of which could be done electronically. You handled yourself pretty well en light of the circumstances. What I would do is write a letter to the Vet that cares for your dog and tell him/her what happened and how you were made to feel by the receptionist or payment clerk or whatever her position was. Check his/her reaction. If you are not satisfied with the response forget going to the paper, people don't read go to the TV News. Usually there is a Consumer segment that airs. If you cite the Vet for racial profiling and discrimination eyebrows will raise. Even if the show never airs the threat of bad publicity should make it the Vet adopt new policies to prevent such occurrences.

Peace.....

9. JoWillie

JoWillie Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I have no good thing to say when it comes to these type of situations. Plus I have no tolerance for ignorant white folks and this woman was truly one ignorant white fool.

I would have been polite but still confront her about her insinuations. but I wouldn't have given in to her ugly assumptions and given her cash if it was my last for the weekend.

She would have taken the check because they wanted to get paid for services already rendered. Either the check or wait until you came back during the week with cash.

Actually you had the upper hand because she had no solid proof that your checks ever bounced and I would have stressed that she prove otherwise. She didn't make any calls to find out if your checks were bad or good. Her butt should have been made to sit on the hot seat instead.

White people don't count to me......I really don't care what they think about me personally, as long as I get what I want. However, I would never lower or embarrass myself in my dealings with them but I don't take no stuff either. Especially when I'm in the right!!

10. Ledda

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks all for your responses! I decided yesterday to call the Human Relations Commission. I left a message and the head of the dept. got back with me this morning. He's a black man. After I told him what happened he asked me why I didn't protest at the time. He said he's offended by this and he wasn't even there. But he's sending me some paperwork to file a claim against them. I'm currently looking for another vet as well.