REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 15, 2001
Dallas
Occupation
Sales Management
He didn’t know what waited
behind the sterile door, but I did.
Knowing he walked wherever I led,
such a trusting friend and I put him down.

My dad and my dog are dying.
Today it is my dog. I put him down.
They say it is better, such for suffering
shouldn’t prolong and I put him down.

Looking into his chocolate face
I could see it, even in the glaucoma
I could see and I know so could he
and still, I put him down.

Now my face is contorted
with self-pity and pain at our loss,
but I did what I had to do but,
my guilty heart still shouts
out that I put him down.

All reason, rationale and logic
Provide no comfort for the demise
of a trusting friend and chocolate eyes
when I finally put him down.

This was a hard one to write because I lost my dog and my dad with 30 days of each other. I haven't ever typed it out. I had to take my dog to the vet to be "put down" because of his suffering with glaucoma. It hurt and still does. I wrote this on a scrap of paper after I left the clinic with tears in my eyes knowing it was over, that I had out him down. Exactly 30 days later my father died of Lou Gherig's Disease. This is the first time I have had the nerve to write anything serious about either one of them. Actually, it wasn't my dog. It was his dog and maybe that is why it hurt so because I knew what was coming.

Ra

:(

I am so very saddened by your double loss, Don. This has been a very trying time with many many twists and turns in your life. You've shared, and in that sharing you've given me wisdom regarding the inevitable experience we all must face with elderly loved ones. I admire your courage through it all. I applaud your willingness to endure, come what may. You stepped forward not only out of duty, but in love and devotion ~

Thank you so much for having the courage to share this. My heart and my prayers go out to you during your berievement. The steadfast, loving spirit through which you gave and administered, and ministered to your Dad in his last months during the most challenging moments, will be rewarded through your own sons, and their children. You have set the example for your family.

Well done.

Much love to you, :heart:

Alyce

Appreciate It

It is one of those things where you continually hold your breath, only you are not aware that you are doing it--and then finally you exhale and it all comes to the top and reminds us that none of us get out of here alive and that death is a part of life--that's just the way it is--I miss my dad and his dog, but I am a better person for because of the lessons I learned, even from his dog--Ra

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back